SE846 owner - wondering what my options are
Jan 29, 2018 at 1:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

frescagod

100+ Head-Fier
hi - i've had my Shure SE846 for about three years, and while i still enjoy them, i can't help but wonder if there's something else out there that's better, at a fraction of what i paid. if there are better options around $200-300, would it be possible to sell the 846 for $500 or $600, pocket the difference, all while upgrading what my ears are hearing? or does it just make sense to hold onto these until they die on me?

i listen to a lot of things, mostly classic rock, indie, and 1950s miles davis. thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2018 at 12:58 PM Post #2 of 4
Maybe you can search for upgrade cable. Recently, I just upgraded to copper cable and noticed huge improvement over stock cable. It will be cheaper than purchasing new IEM for slight upgrade, unless you wanna go straight to TOTL IEMs.

Feb 21, 2018 at 3:40 PM Post #3 of 4
Not sure what the going rate for a 3 yr-old SE846 is, but while there are many good IEMs in the $300 range (Oriveti New Primacy, eg) these days, I am not certain any of them can compete with an SE846. If you upped your budget to something like a Dunu DK 3001, you might have a better shot at seriously competing. Just my take and YMMV, of course.

Feb 23, 2018 at 8:53 PM Post #4 of 4
Hi Frescagod,

Hmm, for your budget, few options to consider though depending where you are in the world, you may have to up your budget a little if you want something better then it comes down to personal preference.

Some to consider are the following in no particular order :

ATH-E70
Oriveti New Primacy with upgrade cable
Klipsch X20i

Remember, always demo if you can.

Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back