SE846 is lost in sea of IEM reviews
Mar 27, 2022 at 3:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Skylos

New Head-Fier
I know a lot of Shure's products are simply for reference, but the SE846 earphones are so pleasing, I'm a bit confused why they're not compared as much by popular reviewers. I'm guessing because of their age, and maybe lack of curb appeal next to today's buffet of gorgeous IEMs. The changeable filters add variable to the sound, so I can see why they're always reviewed by themselves it seems. The price is high, but not compared to top-shelf IEMs on the market today, which are 3-5 times the price of the Shures.

Can I have some opinions from experienced audiophiles (unlike me, really) why the SE846 is lost in the background in today's ultra-competitive IEM market?

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2022 at 11:31 PM Post #2 of 16
I know a lot of Shure's products are simply for reference, but the SE846 earphones are so pleasing, I'm a bit confused why they're not compared as much by popular reviewers. I'm guessing because of their age, and maybe lack of curb appeal next to today's buffet of gorgeous IEMs. The changeable filters add variable to the sound, so I can see why they're always reviewed by themselves it seems. The price is high, but not compared to top-shelf IEMs on the market today, which are 3-5 times the price of the Shures.

Can I have some opinions from experienced audiophiles (unlike me, really) why the SE846 is lost in the background in today's ultra-competitive IEM market?

I haven't tried the SE846, but I have tried some of the other Shure models and TBH, some of them are not competitive in today's market, especially with the advent of CHIFI IEMs that weigh in at a substantially lower pricing but with similar (or even better technical performance.

Same issue as their rivals Westone. Shure and Westone were kind of the benchmark IEM brands a decade back, but they have been overrun by cheaper IEMs from China. Some western brands eg Audiofly, RHA, have even shut down, and Sennheiser had to sell its consumer wing, so it is kind of a survival of the fittest thing in the cut-throat IEM market.

Mar 28, 2022 at 12:05 AM Post #3 of 16

Because they've been out for some time now (almost a decade). The IEM market moves at a breakneck speed, and people flock to new and shiny toys.

Nonetheless, SE846 is a great set. It was the first highend set i owned several years ago. Super comfortable, unique stainless plates for the LF, interchangeable filters, good packaging, etc... And sounds awesome of course. There's a lot to like about the SE846, even after all those years.

Mar 28, 2022 at 11:12 AM Post #4 of 16
the 846 is on my want list because it's a proven top tier iem. Love the 535s I have presently. With the "new shiny" phenomenon I might get some when the price drops. Currently they hold their value very well. My recent aquisitions are DCA CX and some Stax 007s which sort of fell from ultra high end to affordable / obtainable. The 846 checks a lot of boxes for me.

Mar 28, 2022 at 1:42 PM Post #5 of 16
Excellent replies, thank you!

ri_toast, whatever you do, skip the se425s. I think I'm a bit of an old grouch trying to stay content with my 10 year-old Panasonic Plasma, and my 10-year old se846, yadda yadda. Life has moved on, time to go get an OLED and some....Thieaudio maybe... i dunno but thx.

Mar 28, 2022 at 5:29 PM Post #6 of 16
As you've said, it's old. That's really the only reason.

It's still a fantastic set, probably my favourite. I even bought a new pair a year or so ago as I used to own them when they came out but had traded them off and always missed the sound.

Mar 28, 2022 at 6:23 PM Post #7 of 16
It's old, TOTL has moved on, and it really is a niche iem (you better like bass). I had one, it had glorious syrupy mids, but the bass was a bit much and the trebles were hard to hear. I used all of the mods on it, including taking the little inserts out altogether, but just couldn't love it. But for a grand, if you like the sound sig, they are a good deal.

Mar 29, 2022 at 3:25 AM Post #8 of 16
I'm legit surprised that Shure and Westone are still alive today given how insanely competitive the IEM market has gotten since the past 2-3 years due to the rise of chi-fi and the fact both companies haven't made anything relevant in a long time.

What's weirder is that both companies have been selling their old as dirt models for years and people keep buying them despite chi-fi offering light years better value.

It's kinda surreal browsing Amazon looking for IEMs and see a Westone W10 with a $198 price tag.

This or a Kato? I'm sweating buckets trying to decide LOL.

Mar 29, 2022 at 3:35 AM Post #9 of 16
I'm legit surprised that Shure and Westone are still alive today given how insanely competitive the IEM market has gotten since the past 2-3 years due to the rise of chi-fi and the fact both companies haven't made anything relevant in a long time.

What's weirder is that both companies have been selling their old as dirt models for years and people keep buying them despite chi-fi offering light years better value.

It's kinda surreal browsing Amazon looking for IEMs and see a Westone W10 with a $198 price tag.

This or a Kato? I'm sweating buckets trying to decide LOL.

I remember one of my first IEMs around 16 - 17 years ago was the Shure SE215. Back then I already found it muddy, though it was quite comfortable and ergonomic.

Amazingly, the SE215 is still being sold today!

Mar 29, 2022 at 4:08 AM Post #10 of 16
I remember one of my first IEMs around 16 - 17 years ago was the Shure SE215. Back then I already found it muddy, though it was quite comfortable and ergonomic.

Amazingly, the SE215 is still being sold today!

Is the SE215 that old? The very obscure Shure models from 2005-2006 don't seem to come with detachable cables.

I always thought the SE215 debuted in 2011 because the oldest SE215 review I've seen dates back to 2011.

Actually, I found this article that talks about the SE215's debut: https://www.musicradar.com/news/tech/namm-2011-shure-debuts-se215-sound-isolating-earphones-360608

My first IEM was actually the Shure SE535 I bought back in August 2013, it's long dated and probably not worth even 50 bucks by today's standards

Shure be like: IEM age be damned, we'll keep charging near MSRP price!

Mar 29, 2022 at 8:03 PM Post #11 of 16
One thing that I definitely remember about the SE846: windy conditions are not kind to them, as you finally get that treble sparkle, but in the form of nature-pressurized air blowing straight to the eardrums. I know that they are IEMs, but there are those that use IEMs outdoors professionally and having this during a windy broadcast would really make for a terrible work day.

Mar 29, 2022 at 9:13 PM Post #12 of 16
Won't ever forget the lush mids of the 846. Haven't had another IEM with the same liveliness in the mids, which made vocals realistic and instruments like guitars so engaging. It was refreshing in the sea of V-shaped signatures.

But alas, when it comes to detail/resolution, the 846 ended up falling back. Especially its Achilles' heel - rolled off treble. If you're not a detail-snob like me though, I'd argue it's still a relevant IEM today. It's so fun. I held on to it despite upgrading. But I would say after getting the KSE and other current high-end headphones and trying the 846 again after a while, that was kinda the nail in the coffin for me. The 846 just isn't resolving enough for today's high-end standards.

But I kept mine and it got a second life as my true wireless travel set, paired with Shure's TW2 adapters. Pretty happy with it, better sounding than the WF-1000XM4.

Mar 30, 2022 at 7:03 PM Post #14 of 16
I need to get it out of my head that the next high-dollar IEM I buy is going to have bass as good as the 846. Luckily, bass emphasis is becoming less important to me since I listen to classical/instrumentals more, where the bass can interfere. There's also the part of me that's reluctant to spend a good chunk of change on a bad headphone (se425...bleh), whereas it was a safe bet the 846 would sound good. I'm thinking Thieaudio Oracle, again, based on what others have said.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2022 at 11:20 PM Post #15 of 16
I feel like they are too expensive for what you are getting compared to Chifi. My first IEM was a Shure E3. Loved them and yes no detachable cable. Replaced it once myself but then the pad/trade fell off the on second replacement.

I feel like the SE846 has been made for so long that the price should have fallen significantly without any updates. It hasn't though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back