SE530s with no amp, or buy cheaper Atrio M5's and spend saving on TomaHawk?
Apr 19, 2008 at 4:37 PM Post #2 of 30
I have to agree. I've tried both these IEMs, and I ended up getting the Atrio M5's, simply because of the lower end definition. The bass really gets a lot of attention, and not the boomy, overwhelming kind like you find in cheap, sub-100 IEMs. We're talking about lots of texture and depth in the bass alone. Combined with a very large soundstage for an IEM, which can almost be compared with those of cans', and you've got yourself one very enjoyable IEM to use.

They are darker than the SE530s, so if you like very crisp detailed highs, you won't find them with the Atrios. Then again, the SE530s have been said to have some sibilance and over-defined highs, and as a result are more fatiguing on the ears. The Atrio's are more of a massage treatment for your ears, as they're more mellow, and more relaxing to listen to.

In any case, if you want to read more about the other users' impression on the Atrio's compared to the SE550's, you should go to the Futuresonic Atrio M5 thread on this forum. Just do a search, and look for the >100 page thread.

Apr 19, 2008 at 4:46 PM Post #3 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by robojack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the SE530s have been said to have some sibilance and over-defined highs, and as a result are more fatiguing on the ears.

I always read about the 530's having "rolled-off" highs, and now I hear about them being sililant and over-defined. I own a pair and love them, why does nobody ever just say they have awesome, just-right highs? Allow me to be the first.

Apr 19, 2008 at 7:40 PM Post #5 of 30
If you know you like the Shures, why not buy them gain (maybe a second hand pair from the forums), then buy the amp after saving up a bit more
biggrin.gif

Apr 19, 2008 at 7:44 PM Post #6 of 30
Personally, I would buy the best IEMs you can afford. Then, as funds permit, buy the best amp you can. In the long run you'll be happier - and not have the upgrade bug bite quite as quickly.

Since you've already owned the E530s, and know how they sound straight out of your Rio, then repurchasing them won't be a disappointment. Then, when you do have the funds to buy the amp of your choice, you'll enjoy them even more.

Apr 19, 2008 at 9:29 PM Post #8 of 30
Of course, there's been lots of people who've owned E530s, then sold them after purchasing the Atrio's. The lower-end definition and more mellow high-end are fantastic, especially after a day of hard work. as the last thing you need are brilliant highs that make your ears just wanna bleed from fatigue.

Apr 19, 2008 at 10:06 PM Post #9 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by robojack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Of course, there's been lots of people who've owned E530s, then sold them after purchasing the Atrio's. The lower-end definition and more mellow high-end are fantastic, especially after a day of hard work. as the last thing you need are brilliant highs that make your ears just wanna bleed from fatigue.

The last word I would ever use to describe the E530s is bright. Their top end might even be a tad (but only a tad) rolled off. Their evenness is what makes them so enjoyable. Fatigue from the treble is not something to worry about to my ears.

Apr 19, 2008 at 10:29 PM Post #10 of 30
Oh Wyzewun, the issue of wastefulness is one that only you can resolve. Listen to your inner self and if he/she objects then change your purchase to one you'll truly enjoy.

Apr 19, 2008 at 11:09 PM Post #11 of 30
I've not had the shures, but I do now own the M5s and I do have a Hornet-M. The sound is already great straight from my ipod classic and the amp seems to just take it a step too far. I don't know how the Rio would compare amped and unamped, but in my experience the M5s don't gain anything from being amped. The Hornet is, however, worth every penny when using my full size headphones.

Apr 19, 2008 at 11:13 PM Post #12 of 30
I would definetly buy the SE530's. I love them unamped out of my iPod! Anf if you have saved a little more, go get the Tomahawk for those Shure's. That's how i would do it.
wink.gif

Apr 19, 2008 at 11:56 PM Post #13 of 30
i listen to my se530's all day at work then get home and listen before going to bed... imo they're not fatiguing at all :p

Apr 20, 2008 at 12:02 AM Post #14 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by wired00 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i listen to my se530's all day at work then get home and listen before going to bed... imo they're not fatiguing at all :p

That's true. I could wear them 24 hours a day... I love them, they are so comfortable. But that is not the topic here, I guess^^

Apr 20, 2008 at 12:20 AM Post #15 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaDude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's true. I could wear them 24 hours a day... I love them, they are so comfortable. But that is not the topic here, I guess^^

Oops i was responding to this post saying they can be fatiguing... forgot to quote
tongue.gif

Quote:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back