se530's quiet left channel.
Jun 14, 2008 at 2:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

omegaman

Headphoneus Supremus
I plugged in my 530's today and the left channel has gone really quiet. I have tried different leads etc and am sure the problem is in the actual IEM.

Looks like they will have to go for repair. My question is for those who have had experience with shure service department.

How quick is it ? Are they really expensive ? Is there a better/cheaper option.

My warranty has gone
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

Jun 14, 2008 at 3:25 PM Post #2 of 8
Could they have been exposed to any significant amount of moisture? This can cause a driver to shut down, but will return to normal when it dries out.

If not you can try the alcohol cleaning technique I mentioned in this thread... you have nothing to lose if they are out of warranty and you are looking at sending them in anyway.

If it comes to it Shure's service department is very good and turn around is fast.

Jun 14, 2008 at 3:48 PM Post #3 of 8
I just read your thread ( I should have used the search before I posted ) and yes they could be damp, I was using them out by the pool. Stupid I know.
redface.gif

I am hoping they will dry out.

cheers

Jun 14, 2008 at 5:09 PM Post #4 of 8
yeh sounds like a moisture problem in that case, best thing to do is leave then to dry naturally on the side somewhere for about 48hours to be sure. it takes time because the moisture dont really have nowhere to go.

dont force them to dry quicker by putting them by a radiator or blow drying because this can usually cause more damage than good. but lots of electrics actually work pretty well after being wet and dried well. its only if the earphones were played whilst soaked then something may have blown but id have high hopes, given time they will most likely be fine, but be patient.

if after 48hours all is still crappy then shure will have your back just respect them and be nice and they usually have sympathy
biggrin.gif

Jun 16, 2008 at 9:36 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by omegaman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I plugged in my 530's today and the left channel has gone really quiet. I have tried different leads etc and am sure the problem is in the actual IEM.

Looks like they will have to go for repair. My question is for those who have had experience with shure service department.

How quick is it ? Are they really expensive ? Is there a better/cheaper option.

My warranty has gone
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

Sounds to me like you are having an earwax or condensation issue with your earphones.

At the bottom of this message I will copy a post which can answer your questions regarding this issue.

You will need to log onto Shure - Microphones, Wireless Systems, Earphones, Professional and Personal Audio Gear and locate the repair form when sending your product in for service. If the earphones are deemed out of warranty a replacement cost may apply see Shure - Microphones, Wireless Systems, Earphones, Professional and Personal Audio Gear for details on out of warranty pricing.

The normal service time is 15 business days but can possibly be faster than this, possibly up to 7 business days for a replacement to be received. This all depends on the information provided, if the earphones are sent with all paperwork requested the return will be probably be less than 15 business days.

-------------------------------------------------------
Now for the question regarding sound loss:

This problem is normally not a defect in workmanship for any IEM regardless of manufacturer. Sound loss is mostly attributed to the amount of earwax clogging the nozzles or even condensation saturating the mesh dampers in the nozzles (these dampers should be bright white and NO OTHER COLOR)

When sound loss occurs you should first remove the sleeve and check the nozzle for debris, if the damper is intact and bright white without discoloration you should let them sit out for approx. 48 hours to dry as condesation could have entered the nozzle during or after use. Sound loss is a preventable issue, if the IEM's are cleaned on a regular basis (after use) this problem will not happen. If the earphones are used an not cleaned, over time this problem may become more and more apparent.

Most customers experiencing this issue will complain of hearing less sound in one ear opposed to the other, some hear no sound at all. Over time the sound will deteriorate more and more if not cleaned and the earphones will seem like they are failing, example: hearing 25% less sound in left vs. right earbud.

Shure is very generous regarding this issue and is known to replace products with sound loss due to earwax issue's without question, however this is not a defect and is not covered under Shure's two year warranty.

Shure provides a cleaning tool with every purchase and this tool is expected to be used on a regular basis to prevent this issue.

++++++++++++++++++++

If you are hearing mild distortion in your earphones along with less sound the problem is most likely due to shock of some kind (dropping the earphones or banging them against something on accident). If you are hearing distortion along with less sound you should send your product to Shure for replacement if your product is covered under Shure's two year warranty. If you purchased your product from E-bay your earphones may not be covered under the warranty, you can e-mail shure to check warranty validity at support@shure.com

Cheers,
The IEM DOC

Jun 17, 2008 at 5:13 AM Post #8 of 8
Problem solved. It was a dampness issue, I had been swimming and I think I put them in ny ears to soon.
redface.gif
redface.gif
redface.gif

Anyway on a plus side they dried out the next day and work perfect. I will have to be a bit more careful in the future.

Cheers for all the help guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back