SE530s purchased - thanks everyone!
Apr 1, 2009 at 4:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

barneypooch

New Head-Fier
Just got me a pair of SE530s, largely due to all you wunnerful peeps! I'm really thrilled with them. My only other 'phones are Stax Lambda Pro and hand on heart I prefer these little Shures (at one sixth the cost). Why? Well, number one is that the Stax make my ears sweaty and also you have to stay in one position or the ruddy things fall off. But I also prefer the actual sound of the Shures. Of course they lack the transparency of the Stax but (big but) I just find them more engaging. They've got that most elusive of qualities: musicality.

I've been into hi-fi for over 30 years and only found a handful of transducers with this magic quality. My original Quad 57s (now replaced with 989s, but still never equalled in the mids, IMHO); Rogers LS3/5a which I owned at college; and Spendor BC1s, which I replaced in time by Spendor SP1s, but never equalled the magic mids of the BC1. I currently have the 989s in my music room and B&Ws in my living room cinema setup, and though they're both great I still miss those old speakers, even though they had serious flaws.

It's all about the mids for me. If they sing in the mids I can forgive a lot. And these 530s have the X-factor.

I haven't owned a Shure product since I was at college with a Thorens TD125 and a V15 cartridge. For the kiddiwinks among you that cartridge ruled back in the late 70s. It's great to hear that Shure's decades of experience still pays dividends. They're just genius at handling the mids.

Oh, I lied: I have a Shure SM58 mike. Another product that continues as a bestseller after decades in production, precisely cos it knows how to deal with the human voice.

Anyways, thanks again for all the great postings. I feel I made the right decision (after agonising over custom IEMs, the W3 etc etc).

PS: I just called my mate Angus and he's buying my Lambda Pros. How's that for putting my money where my mouth is?
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Apr 1, 2009 at 4:18 PM Post #2 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by barneypooch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just got me a pair of SE530s, largely due to all you wunnerful peeps! I'm really thrilled with them. My only other 'phones are Stax Lambda Pro and hand on heart I prefer these little Shures (at one sixth the cost). Why? Well, number one is that the Stax make my ears sweaty and also you have to stay in one position or the ruddy things fall off. But I also prefer the actual sound of the Shures. Of course they lack the transparency of the Stax but (big but) I just find them more engaging. They've got that most elusive of qualities: musicality.

I've been into hi-fi for over 30 years and only found a handful of transducers with this magic quality. My original Quad 57s (now replaced with 989s, but still never equalled in the mids, IMHO); Rogers LS3/5a which I owned at college; and Spendor BC1s, which I replaced in time by Spendor SP1s, but never equalled the magic mids of the BC1. I currently have the 989s in my music room and B&Ws in my living room cinema setup, and though they're both great I still miss those old speakers, even though they had serious flaws.

It's all about the mids for me. If they sing in the mids I can forgive a lot. And these 530s have the X-factor.

I haven't owned a Shure product since I was at college with a Thorens TD125 and a V15 cartridge. For the kiddiwinks among you that cartridge ruled back in the late 70s. It's great to hear that Shure's decades of experience still pays dividends. They're just genius at handling the mids.

Oh, I lied: I have a Shure SM58 mike. Another product that continues as a bestseller after decades in production, precisely cos it knows how to deal with the human voice.

Anyways, thanks again for all the great postings. I feel I made the right decision (after agonising over custom IEMs, the W3 etc etc).

PS: I just called my mate Angus and he's buying my Lambda Pros. How's that for putting my money where my mouth is?
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Great decision dude. I just got my brand new Shure SE530's back from Shure repair center "No charge" under warranty. Their customer service is A++++

Apr 1, 2009 at 4:50 PM Post #4 of 9
Welcome to headfi. Sorry about your wallet.

I was listening to the Stax Lambda last night. I love the electrostat sound, but after time I always prefer dynamics. They may not resolve as well, but they sound more engaging like you mentioned.

The Shures are definately wonderful with the midrange. It's a great IEM, and I'm glad they are working out for you.

Apr 1, 2009 at 8:12 PM Post #5 of 9
I'd be embarrassed to tell how many speakers have passed my way over the years, simply because they had a "flashy" sound signature. After a couple of weeks I always regretted my decision - and took the financial hit.

I finally realised it's the subtle ones that win the day. And ain't that just true of everything in life? The things that dazzle you at first can turn out to be tiring and unnatural!

(Not that I'm referring to first wives etc etc...)

Apr 1, 2009 at 8:21 PM Post #6 of 9
Sounds great. I'm looking at the SE530s for my next pair of IEMs.
wink.gif

Apr 2, 2009 at 10:27 PM Post #7 of 9
I suppose it's the type of music I prefer, but for me the music is in the mids. The human voice, guitars, etc... The W3 that I bought seemed designed for the UHN TISS in the song but put the human voice so far back in comparison to my SE530's that I had to sell them.

I guess you could say I bobbed my head more with the Westone's but got lost in the music more with the Shure's. I think you'll enjoy your purchase.

Apr 3, 2009 at 2:52 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by barneypooch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd be embarrassed to tell how many speakers have passed my way over the years, simply because they had a "flashy" sound signature. After a couple of weeks I always regretted my decision - and took the financial hit.

I finally realised it's the subtle ones that win the day. And ain't that just true of everything in life? The things that dazzle you at first can turn out to be tiring and unnatural!

(Not that I'm referring to first wives etc etc...)

Your statements show experience and understanding. Congrats.

Apr 3, 2009 at 7:08 AM Post #9 of 9
It's great to know someone else can enjoy and appreciate the SE530s as much as I do. Although I can't say that I've heard much, I do own an ESW10JPN for home use and the Etymotic ER4Ps and ER6is. Nobody understood how anyone coming from Etys can possibly grow fond of the SE530s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back