SE530's Potential?
Dec 10, 2008 at 7:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

ipodlover77

100+ Head-Fier
Okay, well I google'd this and searched on head-fi but i couldn't come up with the answer. What types of music brings out the true potential for shures? Im a noob in the audio business so im not sure what sounds good or what doesn't lol. I just got the SE530 because a friend of mine were telling me how good they were. The only song that i THINK sounded good (im not sure lol) was daft punk- crescendolls. Any tips on what music really booms with these phones?

Dec 10, 2008 at 7:45 PM Post #2 of 21
All music is good with SE530. It is very forgiving IEM.

I'm pretty certain you have a fit problem. Read manual to see how to ensure a good seal/fit.

Dec 10, 2008 at 8:39 PM Post #4 of 21
As always make sure your music source is goood at least 192KB/s and/or better...

Dec 10, 2008 at 8:42 PM Post #5 of 21
Everything is good in general, but I think classical could use some stronger highs

Dec 10, 2008 at 8:58 PM Post #6 of 21
Some of my classical CDs benefit from a slight boost in the highs, others are just fine without.

Acoustic and jazz shine on these phones. Chamber music (classical), classic rock, the slightly recessed highs take the hard edge off old rock & roll.

Dec 10, 2008 at 9:43 PM Post #7 of 21
try a a couple of The Beautiful South albums, their stuff can be very varied from deep a forceful lows to sharp highs and a a variety of different vocals, KT Tunstell stuff can be good for having a lot going on that other phones cant let you hear. another more upbeat one good for having lows highs and clear mids is sophie ellis bextor. oh and make sure everything is 320k or lossless and you should be able to hear the difference between the 530s and lesser phones

Dec 11, 2008 at 2:09 AM Post #8 of 21
hmm weird, i just saw a picture today and realized i was wearing it wrong.

http://us.st12.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.c..._2030_43900650

is this how all you guys are wearing it? with the shure logo visable?

btw, will shure replace the earphones if you accidentally poke through the screen mesh inside the phones while cleaning? Lol, i haven't done that i was just wondering if it ever does happen.

Dec 11, 2008 at 3:43 AM Post #9 of 21
Yes, that is how I wear mine and how they are designed to be worn.

Dec 11, 2008 at 6:12 AM Post #10 of 21
While I listen to a wide variety of genres I think vocals (female especially) is where these earphones really shine. Listening to Natalie Merchant or Patricia Barber is absolutely mind blowing with these. This is unamped out of a Nano. I cannot imagine how it would sound amped with a LOD.

Dec 11, 2008 at 6:15 AM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by ipodlover77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hmm weird, i just saw a picture today and realized i was wearing it wrong.

http://us.st12.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.c..._2030_43900650

is this how all you guys are wearing it? with the shure logo visable?

btw, will shure replace the earphones if you accidentally poke through the screen mesh inside the phones while cleaning? Lol, i haven't done that i was just wondering if it ever does happen.

that is how I wear them as well. How exactly were you wearing them??

Dec 11, 2008 at 7:05 AM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by jc9394 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
try the yellow foamie, it usually gives me the best fit/seal with Shure phones.

X2 yellow foamies FTW. also the shures sound good with everything basically. and amped they are just a dream. oh and fit is a BIG factor in the sound you hear. it is imperative to get a good fit while wearing them properly

Dec 11, 2008 at 7:29 AM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All music is good with SE530. It is very forgiving IEM.

I'm pretty certain you have a fit problem. Read manual to see how to ensure a good seal/fit.

I think it's pretty terrible for complex orchestra music which demands a very clean and detailed mid-bass. The SE530 really struggles to produce articulate, quick and detailed bass.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jc9394 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
try the yellow foamie, it usually gives me the best fit/seal with Shure phones.

I've also used Comply slim foamies with great effect. The slight imperfect seal leaks a bit of bass and it becomes less dominant. Result? Cleaner, less congested sound... but that doesn't save it from another one of its love-it/hate-it traits, the highs/upper-midrange.

Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Everything is good in general, but I think classical could use some stronger highs

Yes, it needs a stronger upper midrange. The midrange is ultra-smooth, dripping with sweet golden honey, but lacks real energy.

Dec 11, 2008 at 1:32 PM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkninja67 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
that is how I wear them as well. How exactly were you wearing them??

i was wearing them with the logo facing down. Weird.
I also wore my shure 110 and 210's like that hhaha. I really dont hear a difference in sound though. Am i supposed to?

i wish i had the yellow foams, my phones never came with it
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back