SE530s are not Skullcandys!!!
Aug 24, 2009 at 4:01 PM Post #46 of 90
but what is the problem with marketing stuff that looks blingy to teenagers. i think that is where i don't get this thread. so what? are they saying they produce the best sounding earphones? not at all.

The problem with singling out this one item is that then you are open to being singled out by anyone and everything. who cares if someone enjoys her skull candy? there is no reason to show them how to spend their money - no reason at all. if so, you had better be ready to listen to the reasons that you should not buy a trek or a samsung fan.

we all use, listen to, ride on, drive, cover up with, etc., something that is crap, utter crap. if we single out one area that we think someone else should better well get straight, we are missing the fact that our own prissy selves are missing the same thing but in a different target.

it isn't just ignorance, it is simply preferences and of course, need. people don't need earphones to sound good. people who want good sound need good sounding earphones. my wife loves all my headphones, but her favourites are only decent sounding phones, the monster beats tour because they are cute and red.

for her, that is all that matter. she prefers the sound of the sm2, but wouldn't be caught dead with it. that sort of person who just wants to hear music, not revel in the fact that they have spend 500$ on earphones, doesn't need to be told what to listen to.

Aug 24, 2009 at 4:06 PM Post #47 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but what is the problem with marketing stuff that looks blingy to teenagers. i think that is where i don't get this thread. so what? are they saying they produce the best sounding earphones? not at all.

The problem with singling out this one item is that then you are open to being singled out by anyone and everything. who cares if someone enjoys her skull candy? there is no reason to show them how to spend their money - no reason at all. if so, you had better be ready to listen to the reasons that you should not buy a trek or a samsung fan.

we all use, listen to, ride on, drive, cover up with, etc., something that is crap, utter crap. if we single out one area that we think someone else should better well get straight, we are missing the fact that our own prissy selves are missing the same thing but in a different target.

it isn't just ignorance, it is simply preferences and of course, need. people don't need earphones to sound good. people who want good sound need good sounding earphones. my wife loves all my headphones, but her favourites are only decent sounding phones, the monster beats tour because they are cute and red.

for her, that is all that matter. she prefers the sound of the sm2, but wouldn't be caught dead with it. that sort of person who just wants to hear music, not revel in the fact that they have spend 500$ on earphones, doesn't need to be told what to listen to.

I agree completely.

It's preference and the price people think is worth to pay for what they're getting.

Aug 24, 2009 at 4:18 PM Post #48 of 90
remember people: before we got into head-fi we were just as ignorant as these people. There are lots of hobbies that we ourselves are naive about. Don't, hate! Educate!

Aug 24, 2009 at 6:23 PM Post #50 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

[...]

Well you see, the problem with that is that a lot of these people honestly believe that they are hearing the best possible sound. Skullcandy never really comes out and says that, but it is spread by word of mouth and online.

I agree that we all use something that to a person familiar with the field would say is utter crap. I drive a Nissan Maxima. The difference between me and a person with Skullcandys is that I do not and have not at any point in the 4 years since buying it believed that it is the best car in the world in any respect.

It is that utterly pigheaded belief that they have got the best of all possible worlds and the unwillingness to even give other brands a chance that annoys head-fiers (myself included) about skullcandy (and other) fanboys.

Aug 24, 2009 at 7:38 PM Post #51 of 90
You know what, If they think your Se530 are Skullcandy's, that means they must think they're attractive since Skullcandy was meant to head that direction rather than Sound Quality
wink.gif

Se530 SQ > Skullcandy
Se530 = Skullcandy

That's the new comparison now that that has happened. Think of it as a good thing
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 24, 2009 at 9:18 PM Post #52 of 90
I always carrying around my silicone tips and alcohol cotton swabs, just in case if my friends want to try my IEMs. Luckily I had a custom sleeves, and I don't think not many people really want to try to insert the ugly 'things' into their ears.
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes, the first impression of a person who used to hear a basic earphones/heaphones or stereos, may think the good quality gears a lack of something, such as,
"Mmmm... this earphones is not good, where is the bass?"
"It's sound good, but, the vocal/mids are too strong"
"What are these things? This is not the song which I used to listened to... There are too many musical instruments "

Yeah, you need to tell your friends the existence of the head-fi.org.
smily_headphones1.gif
. And always remind them to beware about this site and, Sorry for your wallet.

Aug 24, 2009 at 9:46 PM Post #53 of 90
I think audiophiles need to get over the importance of their hobby compared to others. The most important thing in life is happiness. I know a lot of people that are perfectly happy with their budget earbuds.

Some people really like the skullcandies just because they are stylish. Sound matters too, but not that much. I even know one guy, who is aware that Bose headphones sound bad (he readily admits this to me), but he wears them anyways because he says people comment on them all the time. I find it very strange, but at the same time, I think they would think I'm pretty strange too, for spending so much on audio.

It's not really a big deal that Skullcandy exists out there. Yes, for people who have Dr. Dre Beats and think they have the best sound quality possible, they are wrong. Do we have to zealously go out there and persuade each one of them how crappy their stuff is? I think not.

Aug 24, 2009 at 9:51 PM Post #54 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by Berlioz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think audiophiles need to get over the importance of their hobby compared to others. The most important thing in life is happiness. I know a lot of people that are perfectly happy with their budget earbuds.

Some people really like the skullcandies just because they are stylish. Sound matters too, but not that much. I even know one guy, who is aware that Bose headphones sound bad (he readily admits this to me), but he wears them anyways because he says people comment on them all the time. I find it very strange, but at the same time, I think they would think I'm pretty strange too, for spending so much on audio.

It's not really a big deal that Skullcandy exists out there. Yes, for people who have Dr. Dre Beats and think they have the best sound quality possible, they are wrong. Do we have to zealously go out there and persuade each one of them how crappy their stuff is? I think not.

Ah, but they are zealous to go around converting people to skullcandy-dom. There's a salesman who hangs out at the headphone rack in the local apple store and just tries to persuade everyone that skullcandy are the best audiophile brand. I don't know about you, but if I were duped into thinking something is much better than it actually is by clever marketing and word-of-mouth, I'd want to know.

Aug 24, 2009 at 10:58 PM Post #55 of 90
I'm glad that my friends and co-workers are not nearly that ignorant or narrow minded. Everyone's got their own interests and hobbies that we focus on, and most people around me know I'm seriously into audio and mountain bikes, but I never force anyone to spend $5k on a bike or $500 on headphones cause I know what they have works for them. If they ask for advice then of course I'll consider their budget first before making recommendations. Anyone who truely cares about something will eventually spend the time and energy to research it, so let the ignorant go about in their misinformed, mass marketed bliss.

Aug 24, 2009 at 11:01 PM Post #56 of 90
I especially love the phrases by Skullcandy owners "They sound the same..." or "my Skullcandies sound better, they have better bass"...yup =) definitely

Aug 25, 2009 at 1:24 AM Post #57 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeusEx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At a community service club meeting at a classmate's house: I'm wearing my SE530s.

1st guy:
"I've never seen those before. Are those Skullcandys? My brother has a pair. They are the best phones ever!!!"

2nd guy: (after him inquiring how much my phones cost, and after me telling him)
"Dude, can you like hear stuff that isn't even in the music with those? I mean, that's almost 300 bucks! I could get a PS3 with that money!" (sadly I already have one)

3rd guy:
"My iPod headphones (headphones??) are way cooler. They're special, so stylish looking"

It's bad enough living in a sea of iBuds, but having fish jumping out and trying to bite you?....
I left 5 minutes later.

Are you sure that wasn't a nightmare?

Aug 25, 2009 at 2:56 AM Post #58 of 90
i am having the same effect on my friends. now they're all re ripping their libraries in lossless formats after i beat it into their heads.
thats the thing that kills me even more. itunes makes 15 bucks an album for 256kbps music. because the mass of ipod consumers doesn't know the difference. blinded by the convenience of what is immediately put before them.

like that guy with the camera. all he knew was that his camera was smaller so that made it more convenient for him to carry around. that must mean yours was older and "clunky"...

these people are pretty much being led by their nose to buy the newest piece of plastic from china because it's "ON SALE"

Aug 25, 2009 at 3:26 AM Post #59 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by ashxcore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you sure that wasn't a nightmare?

I only wish....I mean, one of the guys is my friend...and you don't want your friends to be like that, do you?

Strange thing is, to me, sometimes the same FLAC 44.1 track sounds similar to the same 320 kbps mp3 track, for some reason. The FLAC file sounds slightly cleaner, less noise, slightly more nuances, but not enough to justify 10x size difference...and the particular FLAC track I was testing was I'm Not a Hero from The Dark Knight soundtrack.

Aug 25, 2009 at 4:43 AM Post #60 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeusEx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I only wish....I mean, one of the guys is my friend...and you don't want your friends to be like that, do you?

Strange thing is, to me, sometimes the same FLAC 44.1 track sounds similar to the same 320 kbps mp3 track, for some reason. The FLAC file sounds slightly cleaner, less noise, slightly more nuances, but not enough to justify 10x size difference...and the particular FLAC track I was testing was I'm Not a Hero from The Dark Knight soundtrack.

I'm fairly confident that any difference you're hearing is the placebo effect at work.

To my understanding, anything higher than V2 will have no artifacts, and the cutoff frequency for a V0 MP3 is about 20KHz (I think) and most people cannot even hear that high of a frequency...and few phones will play sound at that high of a frequency. Everything below that cutoff frequency is more or less the same as the FLAC's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back