SE530, which amp have the best synergy with it?
Jun 27, 2008 at 3:22 PM Post #5 of 20
I can tell you what doesn't work with the SE530, iQube and Supermacro LE IV. iQube is too neutral it showcases the SE530's natural sound sig with that recess high. The Supermacro LE IV on the other hand is a bit too warm and slowish, the sound gets a bit smudge on the edges, especially the bass. However the amp does correct the recess highs.

The Supermicro IV adds that upper end extension which balances the sound, and keeps the edges tight, clear and the sound neutral. I don't know how Meier amps will sound with the SE530, but the SE530 sounds good with the Cantate. Good extension both ends.

I would not get an amp which does not have good high end extension since the SE530's highs are recess. I also wouldn't pair it with a warm amp, since the IEM sounds warm already.

I didn't like the way my Tomahawk presented it's highs, it sounded a bit recess compared to my other amps. Don't know if that is the case with the Hornet.

Jun 27, 2008 at 11:20 PM Post #6 of 20
I've used both the Headroom Total Bithead and Portable Micro Amp w/ DAC with my 530s and find both to do an excellent job - with the Micro bettering its lower priced sibling (as one would expect).

Jun 29, 2008 at 2:50 PM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by flargosa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can tell you what doesn't work with the SE530, iQube and Supermacro LE IV. iQube is too neutral it showcases the SE530's natural sound sig with that recess high. The Supermacro LE IV on the other hand is a bit too warm and slowish, the sound gets a bit smudge on the edges, especially the bass. However the amp does correct the recess highs.

The Supermicro IV adds that upper end extension which balances the sound, and keeps the edges tight, clear and the sound neutral. I don't know how Meier amps will sound with the SE530, but the SE530 sounds good with the Cantate. Good extension both ends.

I would not get an amp which does not have good high end extension since the SE530's highs are recess. I also wouldn't pair it with a warm amp, since the IEM sounds warm already.

I didn't like the way my Tomahawk presented it's highs, it sounded a bit recess compared to my other amps. Don't know if that is the case with the Hornet.

Hi

I am in fact pairing my 530 with a iQube now and they sounds fine to me.
I am also in the view of not pairing it with a warm sounding amp, this is why i have avoided amps like hornet or pico. With that, it doesnt leave me with many options why is why ultimately i made a choice to go with a neutral amp like iQube.

I have also tried hornet with 530, it sounds great and fun.

Jun 29, 2008 at 2:51 PM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by JMCIII /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've used both the Headroom Total Bithead and Portable Micro Amp w/ DAC with my 530s and find both to do an excellent job - with the Micro bettering its lower priced sibling (as one would expect).

I have not had the chance to try out with the above 2 amps you mention though.

Jun 29, 2008 at 6:06 PM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by ralfale /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have not had the chance to try out with the above 2 amps you mention though.

Well then, you should find the time. I doubt you'll feel it wasted.

Jun 29, 2008 at 6:24 PM Post #10 of 20
If you are using the headphone out of the 5th Gen iPod for the source (which can control the volume) a FiiO amp sounds very fine with the SE530 - better, IMO, than an optimally-set iBasso P2 (for me with SE530, that's low gain, middle bass setting). The FiiO folks did a very good job coming up with an inexpensive, mass-producible, very small and low-powered amp which sounds very fine with small, bass-challenged portable phones.

Jul 1, 2008 at 2:47 AM Post #12 of 20
argh, i stopped going to this site.. and now that i'm back, you guys make me want to get the predator. thanks a lot. if i had a wife, i'd be in trouble now (like the rest of you)
biggrin.gif

Jul 1, 2008 at 4:24 AM Post #13 of 20
When I had a Tomahawk it did very well with the SE530, while it was too bright for my Denon C700 and Super.fi 5 Pro.

The Headstage Lyrix Pro and Penguin Amp Caffeine and iBasso D1 all did well with the SE530, at which point I sold the Tomahawk. But then I sent the SE530 to be turned into custom earphones, so they sound totally different now and I can't really comment on them as if they were still SE530 universals.

I do have comments on the SE530 customs at the following link (and I have answers to questions scattered throughout), but I don't have the Tomahawk anymore: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/s...ess-up-338443/

Jul 1, 2008 at 4:30 AM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by digger945 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Predator, soon to be the new and improved SR-71a. How does it sound, you ask? Perty Good, Perty Good!

I will be very keen on this SR71a. I have always like RSA amps, the build quality is damn solid.

Jul 1, 2008 at 4:32 AM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When I had a Tomahawk it did very well with the SE530, while it was too bright for my Denon C700 and Super.fi 5 Pro.

The Headstage Lyrix Pro and Penguin Amp Caffeine and iBasso D1 all did well with the SE530, at which point I sold the Tomahawk. But then I sent the SE530 to be turned into custom earphones, so they sound totally different now and I can't really comment on them as if they were still SE530 universals.

I do have comments on the SE530 customs at the following link (and I have answers to questions scattered throughout), but I don't have the Tomahawk anymore: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/s...ess-up-338443/

I have always avoided Predator due to the long burn in period. Will not mind a resale predator though save me the trouble of burning in
tongue.gif

Now you really get me thinking should i try out a custom for my 530s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back