SE530 vs. LiveWires
Mar 28, 2008 at 8:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

MatmaN

Head-Fier
Hi. I need an advice. I broke my UM1 and decided to byu new IEMs. I was going to buy UM2, but I there is an oportunity to buy SE530 for about 260$ and LiveWires for the same price. Wich ones should I choose? I have to decide today, so I would be very grateful if you could help me.
They will be plugged to H320 and i7. As for the music... I listen to various things [tool, david bowie, porcupine tree and many more- my last.fm nick is 'szulc'].

Mar 28, 2008 at 10:49 AM Post #2 of 14
very different phones but as a first time high end buyer id advise jumping at customs because they will set the bar high, if you want a great B line and forward mids the emphasis is on shure

Mar 28, 2008 at 7:00 PM Post #3 of 14
I'm in the same boat as MatmaN. I was set on the SE530's this week (thanks 6ave.com), and was a click away. After a couple hours on head-fi, I have come around to the LW's. I don't mind wrecking the resale value, as I'm sure that if I'm happy with the LW's I'll keep them as a primary, or later secondary, pair.

I will be using these directly with my 5.5G iPod, as well as through a new Amp/DAC (hopefully the iBasso D2 that I'm buying off a fellow forum member).

The only outstanding questions I have are: 1) how the LW's compare to the SE530's on isolation. My hunch is that if I get a good seal, it will be as good or better than the SE530's. Does this make sense? And 2) how well do they stay in my ears? If they are falling out everytime I move my head, they are a non-starter for me. (FWIW, I consider my e2c's to stay in well to quite well).

Jinx: you put a bunch of hardware between the SE530's and the LW's. Why was that the case for you? What was your criteria?

Mar 28, 2008 at 7:12 PM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by ibcj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm in the same boat as MatmaN. I was set on the SE530's this week (thanks 6ave.com), and was a click away. After a couple hours on head-fi, I have come around to the LW's. I don't mind wrecking the resale value, as I'm sure that if I'm happy with the LW's I'll keep them as a primary, or later secondary, pair.

I will be using these directly with my 5.5G iPod, as well as through a new Amp/DAC (hopefully the iBasso D2 that I'm buying off a fellow forum member).

The only outstanding questions I have are: 1) how the LW's compare to the SE530's on isolation. My hunch is that if I get a good seal, it will be as good or better than the SE530's. Does this make sense? And 2) how well do they stay in my ears? If they are falling out everytime I move my head, they are a non-starter for me. (FWIW, I consider my e2c's to stay in well to quite well).

Jinx: you put a bunch of hardware between the SE530's and the LW's. Why was that the case for you? What was your criteria?

i dont own the livewires,i was refunded soon after purchase and really enjoyed them but not as much as my shures. i dont quite understand what you mean by me having hardware between by shures and livewires??
confused.gif

anyway i would urge you to head in the livewires direction unless you enjoy a nice heavy full sound in which the shures pull ahead, hope this helps
redface.gif

Mar 28, 2008 at 7:14 PM Post #5 of 14
Search the Livewires thread in my signature for SE530's. I believe there are some Livewire owners that also have/had SE530's. I think Headphone Addict is one of those owners..

Livewires really are very good and well worth considering.

Mar 28, 2008 at 8:16 PM Post #7 of 14
Jinx: I was reffering to the ranking in your signature where you have the e4c's, Triple fi 10's, and SE420's all above the LW's. I found one of your posts that detailed your thoughts on the LW's a bit more, and I found it helpful.

Yes Kosmic, I have been all over your thread. I had to stop to have lunch, make two restroom visits, and take a nap while going through it - and I still didn't make it through the whole thing.
biggrin.gif
Unfortunately, like with any forum site, it is so hard to pull the signal from the noise when threads get that large. But overall, your thread is what really opened my eyes to the LW in the first place.

I've never had customs, and am coming off my e2c's, that have been the best thing in my ears so far. I listened to the SE4xx and SE530's at MacWorld and thought they sounded great, but wasn't able to give it a real comparison. I'm really tempted on the 530's as 6th Ave has them with the PTH for $350, but I really feel like I need to give the LW a go at $250.

Now, does anyone know of a good audiologist in the LA (specifically Santa Monica, Westwood, or Beverly Hills) area? I'm going to reach out to LiveWire now as well.

Mar 28, 2008 at 10:19 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by MatmaN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was going to buy UM2, but I there is an oportunity to buy SE530 for about 260$ and LiveWires for the same price. Wich ones should I choose?

Sleek Audio SA6's
wink.gif

Mar 28, 2008 at 10:33 PM Post #10 of 14
LW's have a full money-back guarentee, so go for them. Worst possible thing is that you have to send them back, and might lose the cost of shipping. Of course, the only thing to consider is getting the impressions done. I can assure that it is very straight-forward, and can be done for easily under $50.

My LW's will come in on tuesday!!

Apr 10, 2008 at 8:13 PM Post #11 of 14
I've chosen SE530. I must say that SQ is far way better than waht UM1s had to offer. Byt I'm a bit worried about cables. They are slightly cracked near the plug and one tiny crack by the left earphone. I sent an email to american service, but still didn't get any reasonable answer to my question [except for the link to their 'service FAQ", wich doesn't really bring any explanation]. The main problem is I don't have a receipt. Do you know if Shure repairs their earphones without any proof of purchase?

Apr 10, 2008 at 9:10 PM Post #13 of 14
So I guess there's no sense sending them to USA. I bought them for 200$
biggrin.gif
Well, maybe I'll just wait until they're truely dead.
The reason why I was asking about free replacement is because I heard people got their E500 repaired or replaced for free [it was number on the plug what realy mattered...], I guess it has changed. Too bad for me. :/

Apr 10, 2008 at 9:24 PM Post #14 of 14
good choice on the 530's
wink.gif

if your using an ipod as source, i recommend using the "electronic" setting even if your not listening to electronica. It very nicely boosts the highs and seems to move you back from the stage. At first it sounds rubbish, but try it for a day and i assure you, if you flick back to "none" the music wiill sound less seperated and sort of muddy
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm also using a D2.

I got that suggestion from someone in another thread but have lost it!

Also, regarding the cables...you can always convert your 530s to custom with this guy in japan :p
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/inc...erally-223482/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back