SE530 vs IE8 vs SA6......
Apr 10, 2009 at 1:43 PM Post #16 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by PJD007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The PTH, I guess that's an inline switch module ?

Does it work well ?

Any pics of it ?

Don't think I can justify spending another £20 really.

Thanks.

Yep, it's the "in-line switch". I tried it this morning... my first impression is not very positive... On the Northern Line using the default foam plugs I would get the same results by hitting the play/pause button on my iPod!

However, my main usage for headphones is on long flights so I'll hold my final judgement until my next trip.

If I had to make a decision now, I would not bother with the PTH. I'm pretty sure that there are pictures of it on the Shure Website.

Apr 10, 2009 at 1:51 PM Post #17 of 35
I owned the E500's with PTH. I used the PTH once, enough time to realize it degraded the sound quality a bit and was too big and bulky for practical use for me. I'm sure it would be fine in a situation where the user didn't want to take the IEM's out and put them back in all the time, otherwise I would forget about it.

Apr 10, 2009 at 5:08 PM Post #18 of 35
I have the SA6 and the IE8.
About the the SA6, buildquality is sub par, my cable was broken in three months, not damaged by accident, but simply worn through daily use. Not even the infamous Sony EX-70/71 managed that.
The sound is really enjoyable, typical BA, not very much bass, but still decent weight adding to the impression of a balanced sound, lots of detail, pronounced yet silkysoft treble..
But the IE8 is another story completely; it effortlessly matches the SA6 for detail, without having to resort midtreble highlighting, the bass goes really deep and tonal blance is very good to my ears (I have to add I prefer a warm 'fun'sound above analytical soundsignatures).
It only looses points to the SA6 for treble smoothness and isolation, but I greatly prefer the IE8. And buildquality is superb.

Apr 10, 2009 at 5:47 PM Post #19 of 35
I think for the music that you listen to the IE8 would be the best bet. I listen to mainly drum and bass and the bass impact of the IE8's is superb. I use my 530's for rock and hardcore.

Apr 10, 2009 at 6:45 PM Post #20 of 35
Watch out though, the SE530 is very laid back and smooth. If you prefer a very vibrant sound, active and engaging, then I think the IE8 might be a better choice.

And don't worry about the 530 cable issue -- it's really been pretty much fixed since Shure reformulated their cables.

Apr 10, 2009 at 7:29 PM Post #21 of 35
ie8 go go go

Apr 10, 2009 at 7:32 PM Post #22 of 35
yeah yeah yeah!!!
beerchug.gif

Apr 10, 2009 at 9:04 PM Post #23 of 35
Ok guys, I was about to hit the button on the 530's but I'm going to go with the IE8's now after reading subsequent posts.

Going to order them shortly before I change my mind again !

Someone mentioned earlier about auditioning, as far as I'm aware there's no where in London that offers this service.

Thanks.

Apr 10, 2009 at 9:12 PM Post #25 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by PJD007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Someone mentioned earlier about auditioning, as far as I'm aware there's no where in London that offers this service.

The lower ground electronic store in Selfridges have demo units in a drawer (I tested UE IEMs there once). However I do not think they have the IE8 or SE530, at least the last time I was there.

Apr 10, 2009 at 9:58 PM Post #27 of 35
Don't worry, both the IE8 and the 530 are unbelievable earphones in their own right, and I very much doubt you'll be disappointed by either of them. So quit worrying and order one!

(And then post your impressions here.)

Apr 11, 2009 at 12:26 AM Post #29 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by kobayashi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I greatly prefer the IE8 to the SE530. You just have to play with the tips a bit more to find ones that work for you. The IE8 give you the option to wear the cords up or down.

I totally agree. I would also seriously consider the Westone 3 IEMs they definitely the best that I've heard of the top elite sets.

Apr 11, 2009 at 1:30 AM Post #30 of 35
Shure E530s sounds great. Make sure you get a good seal is my only advice - it makes a big difference.

They are good enough that you will want to rerip your entire collection to lossess and go buy some SACDs.

And you dont look like a complete tool wearing them.

However I am quite convinced someone could break into my house and steal my stuff right next to me and I would not hear a thing. The sound isolation is really amazing.

I am curious if anything is better for IEMs. The highs get a little harsh for me after a long session is my only complaint, but most things do after 4-6 hours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back