se530 vs er-4s vs livewires
Oct 27, 2007 at 12:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

essasin

Head-Fier
After a whole week of looking through reviews and reading the forums, I wanted to share my experience of choosing the right set of iems for myself and perhaps it will shed some light for those in the same situation. I am a pianist and a french hornist that is involved in music but it's not my career so I don't need the high end of the spectrum, but I at the same time I want a solid set that I would enjoy. I also will be using these iems to workout and use with my everyday doings. Basically I wanted a set of mobile in ear cans to be jack of all trades for me. Half the time I will be plugged into viable sources but the other have I will be listening to my ipod touch. (I know but I love the UI).

So I narrowed it down to three choices and chose one. UE's where not a choice because of user reviews about the mids being outshone by the great high's and low's.

se530
- warm characteristic output, some say its muddy, some say its perfect
- visceral, more pronounced bass but some say it's less refined especially from ety users.
- treble roll off and not as accurate on highs but still smooth
- low mids are excellent and sound forward
- multi driver

The reason I didn't opt for the se530's is because it may not be the right fit for orchestral recordings and piano solos/concertos in both jazz and classical respectively. But, I am sure these will without a doubt rock with house, trance, hip hop and various mixes that are perfect for working out and just having fun..which I like to do a lot...but you can't have it all.

er-4s
- single driver with superb highs and mids that are crisp
- some say they don't produce a bottom end that suits their taste
- get better with an amp
- low mids are not as pronounced as in the se530s
- characteristically brighter sound
- flat which may be good or bad according to each user

I thought long and hard about this because of the pricing point. But at the end I really would like more "umph" or more "fun" at the lower end of the spectrum for the workouts and such. Also, I really did not want to carry an amp with me everywhere because sometimes it gets cumbersome (or I don't want to spend a few $$$ on one of zin's micro offerings) to achieve that low end.

Livewires
- multi driver
- custom (how cool is that)
- full bass with just a little kick
- highs are crisp but some say don't have the sparkle as the etys
- sensitive and detailed
- flat
- hiss with some pmps

I chose to get the livewires for a good number of reasons and it's needless to say customs are just plain awesome. But besides that I think it will provide the best fit that I was looking for. The output is detailed and crisp when I listen to piano recordings and orchestral arrangements. I am an avid horn player too so I am a bit biased to the mids and moving lines. Also this set would fit the bill for the type of music I play and that I am involved in.

For workouts, plane rides, and the average joe stuff these will provide a nice compromise between the se530s and the er-4s. A little more kick on the bottom end than the er-4s and little more crispness than smoothness on the trebles than the se530s.

Although the end product is what ultimately counts the customer service, attitude of John and his workers, and support also played an effective role. Ety and Shure have great customer service but there is nothing like an experience with a custom local company who caters to a niche in the market. Over the phone he answered my questions and overall he sounded like a very personable guy. I was told that I could get impressions done by him tomorrow morning also which would save me from audiologist costs.

Overall, I think I would have been very satisfied with any of the three. But, I think I found the right fit with the livewires. Any thoughts are also appreciated.

Oct 27, 2007 at 2:09 AM Post #3 of 17
If u get the er4p instead of the er4s, u wouldn't need an amp.

Personally I don't find customs "cool." Look like old folks denture or something. Can't see those hanging down my chest. Totally subjective of course.

Oct 27, 2007 at 5:11 AM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by filipelli /img/forum/go_quote.gif
are you going to be amping?

I want to say no but I'm already looking at the amp forum and will probably pick up the headsix as another member suggested. How do you like your amped livewires?

Oct 27, 2007 at 5:33 AM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsmithepa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If u get the er4p instead of the er4s, u wouldn't need an amp.

Personally I don't find customs "cool." Look like old folks denture or something. Can't see those hanging down my chest. Totally subjective of course.

When I described them as cool I meant that they are custom fit to your ear...kind of like a tailored suit. I am sure there are other suits that fit fine off the rack but nothing is like a custom fit.

Oct 27, 2007 at 7:28 AM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by essasin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am an avid horn player too so I am a bit biased to the mids and moving lines. Also this set would fit the bill for the type of music I play and that I am involved in.

BTW: Horn Players are awesome *I am a little biased*! developing those good-tuning-ears makes it hard to even deal with low-fi audio.

I wouldn't plan on using the IEM's while playing - ...at all.
The pressure in playing and changes in playing affect the sound and can make even customs very uncomfortable. I would stick with open cans for practice with orchestral recordings. You can get yourself very quiet using the yamaha practice mute and coupling it with a music player to one stereo output. Oepn cans will work best because you will be able to hear yourself playing and the sound won't change while you play.

Hope this helps!

Oct 27, 2007 at 8:37 AM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

are you going to be amping?

"Also, I really did not want to carry an amp with me everywhere because sometimes it gets cumbersome (or I don't want to spend a few $$$ on one of zin's micro offerings) to achieve that low end."

Good choice Essasin, you won't be disappointed with Livewires, or the company.

I use my Livewires in the gym, when I'm travelling; wherever I go they're with me. I don't need an amp with them, so for portability and SQ they rock!

Custom Livewires are the most comfortable iem you can get, you can wear them all day without fatigue.

Oct 27, 2007 at 8:42 AM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsmithepa /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Livewires are the coolest customs around full stop.
IMG_0270.jpg

Old folks dentures?
icon10.gif

Oct 27, 2007 at 11:28 AM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Germania=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BTW: Horn Players are awesome *I am a little biased*! developing those good-tuning-ears makes it hard to even deal with low-fi audio.

I wouldn't plan on using the IEM's while playing - ...at all.
The pressure in playing and changes in playing affect the sound and can make even customs very uncomfortable. I would stick with open cans for practice with orchestral recordings. You can get yourself very quiet using the yamaha practice mute and coupling it with a music player to one stereo output. Oepn cans will work best because you will be able to hear yourself playing and the sound won't change while you play.

Hope this helps!

It does help thanks! I do know tons of musicians with numerous pairs of open cans and have a system that works marvelously but carrying my laptop, books, water/snacks, and sometimes my horn...I'm afraid that I can't properly store them in my bag for everyday use. I don't have a mute (I usually lock myself in a practice room but I REALLY do want the pm3) and I was planning on just putting one iem into my ear which I have grown accustomed too after years of playing with the turntables. But if the pressure and the audible effects are too much I will have to consider smaller, cheaper, open headphone alternatives to stash in my gig bag. There are some instances where it's a necessity to get open, over the ear headphones and I am fortunate enough to have a decent pair for such occasions but I really baby them and don't want to risk damaging them.

Oct 27, 2007 at 11:34 AM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kosmic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Also, I really did not want to carry an amp with me everywhere because sometimes it gets cumbersome (or I don't want to spend a few $$$ on one of zin's micro offerings) to achieve that low end."

I use my Livewires in the gym, when I'm travelling; wherever I go they're with me. I don't need an amp with them, so for portability and SQ they rock!

Custom Livewires are the most comfortable iem you can get, you can wear them all day without fatigue.

I really don't want to carry at amp with me daily but I would eventually follow some type of upgrade path in the future (or near future) with a nice headsix which according to headphoneaddict is awesome. For the most part I will not be amping but if I can.. I will.

I read your reviews and impressions about the livewires in your older threads and your posts where very imformative. Thanks!

Oct 27, 2007 at 10:22 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Actually I will have to disagree with Kosmic there...it really depends on what your source is. For example, I run a Creative Zen and when its just the livewires and player, the IEMS are SO VERY sensitive. I cannot take the volume past the 2nd or 3rd notch on the player or I'll go deaf. The livewires can pick up a great deal of graininess, and can be very harsh at times. However, with the right amp - one that complements the analytical sound of the livewires, the combination can really move you.

For example, I had a misterX XP amp which is known for its robustness and bass and THUMP. Paired with the livewires, the IEMS had a different taste to me...the sound was colored...but in a very thick and present way if that makes sense. Right now I have a tomahawk between the livewires and the Zen, and really it is a great match...the amp eliminates the harsh graininess, and adds a great deal of warmth to the sound, while still maintaining the clarity of the phones. I wouldn't use my livewires without it.

Of course, this is according to my ears. Your mileage may vary, as people perceive sounds differently. Just don't eliminate the possibilities of amping...it can really open doors to different sounds.

As a side note, I will be getting the SE530 for comparison shortly. Haha, hope to add to the database of knowledge so that people can make informed decisions on these two comparable IEMS...since they are in the same price range.

Oct 27, 2007 at 11:01 PM Post #12 of 17
I won't eliminate the possibility of amping. I am actually looking at the headsix as headphoneaddict recommends or the mini^3. For the most part I may not have the ability to carry an amp with me unless I find a really efficient way to do so. But when I can, I will. Until then I will make the best of what I have and use lossless and a bit of eq when necessary. For the most part I think I would be content as Kosmic has but I am looking forward to amping.

I think the sound that your are describing is what I am looking for. I describe it as a wind symphony playing the hit of a ballad at a triple forte and hearing the correct color of instruments and balance while maintaining a big, round sound as if the musicians opened their mouths as wide as they could and sang through their instruments. I really love that depth, natural color and volume without being harsh or lean on the output.

Oct 27, 2007 at 11:18 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Actually I will have to disagree with Kosmic there...it really depends on what your source is. For example, I run a Creative Zen and when its just the livewires and player, the IEMS are SO VERY sensitive. I cannot take the volume past the 2nd or 3rd notch on the player or I'll go deaf. The livewires can pick up a great deal of graininess, and can be very harsh at times. However, with the right amp - one that complements the analytical sound of the livewires, the combination can really move you.

For example, I had a misterX XP amp which is known for its robustness and bass and THUMP. Paired with the livewires, the IEMS had a different taste to me...the sound was colored...but in a very thick and present way if that makes sense. Right now I have a tomahawk between the livewires and the Zen, and really it is a great match...the amp eliminates the harsh graininess, and adds a great deal of warmth to the sound, while still maintaining the clarity of the phones. I wouldn't use my livewires without it.

Of course, this is according to my ears. Your mileage may vary, as people perceive sounds differently. Just don't eliminate the possibilities of amping...it can really open doors to different sounds.

As a side note, I will be getting the SE530 for comparison shortly. Haha, hope to add to the database of knowledge so that people can make informed decisions on these two comparable IEMS...since they are in the same price range.

Hmm, I am bewildered. I also have a Creative Zen, which I have given to my son. While it's not in the same class as the Clix2, the sound is still good. If you can only take the volume past 2nd or 3rd notch then you have a problem, something's not right
eek.gif

I listen around level 13-15 through the Zen, and can get a smooth grain free sound. If you are getting a harsh and grainy sound I can only put that down to poor recordings, or badly balanced EQ, but something is not right.

Also I am not against amping...just that you don't need one bulking out your tracksuit bottoms in the gym.
tongue.gif

Oct 28, 2007 at 4:38 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Hmm, I am bewildered. I also have a Creative Zen, which I have given to my son. While it's not in the same class as the Clix2, the sound is still good. If you can only take the volume past 2nd or 3rd notch then you have a problem, something's not right
eek.gif

I listen around level 13-15 through the Zen, and can get a smooth grain free sound. If you are getting a harsh and grainy sound I can only put that down to poor recordings, or badly balanced EQ, but something is not right.

Also I am not against amping...just that you don't need one bulking out your tracksuit bottoms in the gym.
tongue.gif

Haha yeah I agree with you about amps and gyms. No need for that.

But in actuality I am really surprised you can take your Zen and livewires that high on the volume scale of the player. I highly doubt its my own EQing, since I have been listening without EQing anything (no time to experiment at the moment)...I also doubt it is the quality of my music...they are primarily CD rips at 225kbps and above. Even at volume 0, I can hear fuzz in the background. I can listen comfortably to my music at Volume 1, which is amazing to me that you can go that high with your livewires!

I should also note that with my ep630s, my px100, my sr60s, this is not the case. Strange indeed...
confused.gif

Oct 28, 2007 at 5:19 AM Post #15 of 17
essasin,

May I ask where you're located and how long it took for your impressions and your headphones to get to you? I only ask because you mention you're local, and I'm in Daly City(not a very far drive to Castro Valley) and I e-mailed them questions and haven't got a response. One of them was if I could go to them for a mold, and how long the turn around time would be. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back