SE530 Vs. E5C
Jun 12, 2007 at 10:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

coolpepper43

New Head-Fier
I currently own e3c and se530 but I did have e5c's and sold them about 8 months ago. I sold them because the se530s were coming out and everyone said they were awesome. I waited for the prices for the se530's to drop and bought them recently.

I have been listening to them for about 9 days. The thing is I remember that the e5c's being very bright and had great detail. When I listen with the se530's it sounds somewhat muddy with overpowering bass especially with bands like Godsmack. I believe there is a lot less detail than the e5c. I like detail and brightness over heavy bass. I want to distinctively hear details such as the drums snare. I have about 8 days to decide if I want to return them and get the e5c's instead. I don't know if I have a defective pair of se530's, if I'm crazy, or if my expectations were too high for the se530's. I don't have any way to compare the two earphones side by side. Maybe my memories of the e5c are inaccurate and the se530's do sound better. Can anyone tell me if the e5c's are brighter and have greater detail?

Jun 12, 2007 at 11:35 PM Post #2 of 13
Ive got both pairs beside me right now, and I can tell you that the E5C's (to my ears) DO sound brighter, maybe SLIGHTly more detailed, and that the E500/SE530's have more bass quantity and impact (some say boomy, but to me it sounds quite controlled), and also excellent midrange. I do tend to hear a slight rolloff in the highs of the 500/530 as well, so if detail and brightness is your thing, you may be better off with the E5c's, imo.

Jun 13, 2007 at 6:29 AM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by coolpepper43 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...I have been listening to them for about 9 days. The thing is I remember that the e5c's being very bright and had great detail. When I listen with the se530's it sounds somewhat muddy with overpowering bass especially with bands like Godsmack. I believe there is a lot less detail than the e5c...

I have the se530. The upper midrange and high end of the se530 is rolled off, which is why they sound like they lack detail. After I equalized them, they sound great. Detail galore. I used a parametric equalizer. I boosted the upper midrange, cut the midbass centered around 100Hz, boosted 20kHz. Boosted 20Hz. Did other things as well. Took me almost 2 weeks of tweeking and polishing. As a start, I used the HeadRoom response curve for the se530, but I think their curve is not accurate above around 3kHz. Now I am in love with the se530. They are transformed!

Jun 13, 2007 at 9:42 AM Post #4 of 13
Wow!

This suprises me, everything iv read up till now says the e500 has less bass than e5c, but more detail in mids and highs! Which is why I was considering the e500 at some point.

I find the e5c very warm, definatly not bright.

Jun 13, 2007 at 12:58 PM Post #5 of 13
coolpepper: your sig doesn't say, so gotta ask: are you using amp with these??? If so, don't know. If you aren't, that could be part of the problem since most of these higher end IEMs sound way better with a good amp

Jun 13, 2007 at 5:14 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by tnmike1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
coolpepper: your sig doesn't say, so gotta ask: are you using amp with these??? If so, don't know. If you aren't, that could be part of the problem since most of these higher end IEMs sound way better with a good amp

I am not using an amp. I am using it mostly with my iPod. How much and how big are portable amps?

Jun 13, 2007 at 5:32 PM Post #7 of 13
When my XIN SuperMicro IV arrived here and amazed me by it's size. It's smaller than credit card and it's sound beautifull.

Jun 13, 2007 at 7:30 PM Post #8 of 13
ZARIM, does that amp really make a big difference in the sound? How much can I get something like that?

mrdeadfolx, your conclusion is that the e5c's do sound brighter and more detailed. Kabeer's comments makes me nervous. Does anyone else agree with mrdeadfolx and myselfs conclusions about the e5c's.

mrdeadfolx, which one of those earphones do you like the best and why?

Thanks
etysmile.gif
everyone!!!

Jun 14, 2007 at 1:45 AM Post #10 of 13
i have both the e5 and e500. i find the e5 more bass heavy and not as clear as the 500.
i have amped both as well as used them straight out of my ipod. i am using the shure black olives on both. both are great iems in my opinion but i like the comfort and clarity of the e500 better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back