se530 cable split - again
Dec 17, 2008 at 11:34 PM Post #16 of 82
My first pair of E2c developed the crack after 4 month (extensive everday use during walking etc) 2nd pair had the same problem (the same usage), after 4 month (dispite i wipe it), i got it from auth dealer so that was oright. Didnt bother buy Shure again even when i want either the SE530 or TF10. i choose TF10 (replacement cable), rather than the hassle of replacement (although new cables seems less prone to stiffening and thus crack).

Dec 18, 2008 at 7:22 PM Post #17 of 82
Note that Shure changed the outer insulation formulation somewhere along the line (my replacement definitely had different cable than the original, the replacement was smaller in diameter and more flexible), but before they made the change replacement cables had the same formation as the original, so not too surprising if these eventually fail in the same way. When people report a second episode of cracking it's not usually clear which cable formation they are talking about, old or new. I'm not sure that I've seen any reports of the new cables cracking but then again no way to be sure if that data isn't in the report.

Dec 18, 2008 at 7:23 PM Post #18 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by Freshdaemon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mine also cracked, I got them used, so no receipt. Shure said without the receipt they'll charge me $145, which seems pretty obscene. It would be cheaper to have them recabled as an upgrade. I've never touched a soldering iron, I don't want to tackle it myself. Grrr.

how old are yours?

Dec 18, 2008 at 8:00 PM Post #19 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by ipodlover77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how old are yours?

I got them second-hand about 10 months ago, I don't know how old they were then, but not very old. I'm just going to stick electrical tape over it and hope for the best, there's no way I'm giving Shure $145 just so (judging by what I read here) they can just crack again later.

Jan 19, 2009 at 5:28 AM Post #21 of 82
well, Shure Asia was kind enough to give me a courtesy replacement which I received today.
I think the cable on this one is different than the previous one. Thinner and a bit more flexible it'd seem.

I don't think they will be replacing it again if it stuffs up the 3rd time though.

Jan 19, 2009 at 6:45 AM Post #22 of 82
9 month for se530 is a long time. My first one dead in 3 month.

Remember to ask shure for a recent production model(after they fixed the problem)

Their new cable works fine for me. Hasn't gone stiff till today!

Jan 20, 2009 at 2:22 PM Post #23 of 82
i've been using se210 for awhile now on buses and everything but theres no sign of wear or damagae at all.. i think if you're puttig the cable to a death grind in the gym.. anything would break?
imo, high end equipment are ment to be treated well and not used in harsh environments

the splits might be caused by constant yanking behind the ears if you're a jogger the up and down motion would rip the cable,otherwise i dont know

Jan 20, 2009 at 2:33 PM Post #24 of 82
on my first pair here (new design) and I actually thought I was going to avoid the issue, I clean the cable evry couple of days with warm mildly soapy water. and also rub armour-all into the cables. but one by one the cables started to fail, first it was my PTH unit, then the iphone adapter, and now the cable/strain relief near the right driver is failing and no doubt if I kept using them it would die. I have been using a jena labs resistor cable of my own design for a while now and its been great, but there i nothing I can do about the point above the Y split; well not without voiding the warranty anyway. it really sux, because ive been defemnding the SE530 cable issue as being solved, and now it has happened to all the cables related to it,not just te one. so i'm defecting. I am already using my W3 more anyway (well I havent been using the SE530 at all for the last mont because of this issue. but i'm not happy to just get a replacement from shire and have it happen again in X amount of time; so I have RMA'd them and am getting IE8 from earphonesolutions. only problem is that although they are giving me a $300 credit towards the senns, their price is so inflated there that I still have to pay $35 for the shipping back to them as well as another $150USD to upgrade them. I can get the IE8 for $320AUD here in OZ at the moment which is only $20AUD more than the nearly $200USD I have to pay for the upgrade. maybe I should just get a replacement and sell that to fund the IE8 here in OZ.

Jan 20, 2009 at 2:36 PM Post #25 of 82
I bought my se530's last week, production date 28-11-2008. How do I find which cable revision/version I have? They are cracking phones, btw, I like them more than anything I had before (IE8, Triple.fi, Klipsch Image...).

Jan 20, 2009 at 2:37 PM Post #26 of 82
This is pretty off-putting. I've been thinking of trying out the SE530s to see how they compare to my TF10s then selling one or the other, but the non-replaceable cable is the catch, especially if the Shure's cable really is that fragile AND it splitting really is that common.

Jan 20, 2009 at 4:35 PM Post #27 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crackerman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
especially if the Shure's cable really is that fragile AND it splitting really is that common.

Shure reformulated their cable about a year ago to address this cable issue. As far as I know, there has not been any widespread complaints about the newer cables having the splitting problem. So I don't think splitting is common with the new cables.

Incidently, I've had my E500s about a year and a half now and, although the cable has stiffened (particularly around the ears), they have not split. I'm sure I've just violated some karma or something there, but as it stands right now, I have the old style cables and they are still good.

Jan 20, 2009 at 4:50 PM Post #28 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arjisme /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Shure reformulated their cable about a year ago to address this cable issue. As far as I know, there has not been any widespread complaints about the newer cables having the splitting problem. So I don't think splitting is common with the new cables.

Thanks, thats good to know. I'd probably still go for it anyway because I can't resist my own curiosity about the sound difference between the two.

Jan 21, 2009 at 6:38 AM Post #29 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crackerman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is pretty off-putting. I've been thinking of trying out the SE530s to see how they compare to my TF10s then selling one or the other, but the non-replaceable cable is the catch, especially if the Shure's cable really is that fragile AND it splitting really is that common.

well I have the new design and my cable dies in another way though. plus all the accessories cables died one by one too

Jan 21, 2009 at 8:27 AM Post #30 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I clean the cable every couple of days with warm mildly soapy water. and also rub armour-all into the cables. but one by one the cables started to fail,

The armour-all is a really good idea i use that product on the plastics in my car and it protects them well, its a shame that it still didnt seem to work cause i was gonna try the same thing. i understand your frustration at what to do about replacing them, im in NZ and its so hard juggling things that your buying/returning/exchanging from all the way down here its such a hassle huh. So i take it the question is still up in the air as to the cable problem, does anyone have a definitive answer as how to protect them and stop them from failing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back