se530 cable split - again
Dec 15, 2008 at 11:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 82

mversion

New Head-Fier
I got a replacement pair of se530 (e500) in April this year. And just the other day I noticed a big split. Only after 9 months of usage!

I remember the last time it happened I contacted the shure distributor in Australia and expressed my concern about the same problem occuring with the new pair and asked them what happens when my warranty expires which was due in June '08. I was told the warranty would still expire and there'd be nothing I can do about it. And now, only after 9 months, it happens again.

Do I really not have any chance? Should I try contacting Shure USA directly? Anyone know their warranty procedure? Is it from purchase date or replacement date? Obviously the cable cracking is a known problem, although when I expressed this back in April, the distributor here naturally denied it.

Also have Shure come up with a new batch that uses a different cable?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dec 15, 2008 at 11:30 PM Post #2 of 82
Yeah I own the SE530 and i'm on my third pair, both with the same cable problem. Up till now both replacements have been under warranty (although the last replacement was on the day the warranty expired and i'm not joking). So if this happens to me again i'm screwed. Sorry to hear other people have the same problem.

Dec 15, 2008 at 11:35 PM Post #3 of 82
Sorry i should really have answered some of your questions lol.

Well I can tell you that the warraty starts from the date of the purchase NOT the replacement date.

I have heard that a "thicker" cable was implemented on later models, but i can't tell the difference on the latest pair to be honest (I got the replacement about 2 months ago)

In my opinion we are screwed and it will happen eventually.

Although I have read a thread that said the cracking was due to oil from your skin and the solution is to regularly clean the cables (not sure what with) to stop them cracking. Look it up on the search i'm sure its there,

Dec 15, 2008 at 11:50 PM Post #4 of 82
the cables are thinner on the new batches (well, thinner than the ones they replaced for me)

If the cables crack again, I'm just going to send mine to a 3rd party recabler and pay up.

The phones are great, the cables not so much.

Dec 16, 2008 at 12:18 AM Post #5 of 82
Thats what prompted me to NEVER buy shure headphones again... until they have user replaceable cables.

Dec 16, 2008 at 1:25 AM Post #7 of 82
Dec 17, 2008 at 5:12 AM Post #8 of 82
Well, got a response from the Australian distributor. Warranty from date of purchase although I got a brand new replacement back in April. And my favourite line in the response: "Unfortunately once they crack, they become unserviceable."

I find this hard to believe that we are left with a known fault, and nothing to do about it. I e-mailed Shure USA and I told them about the XBOX RROD (Red Ring of Death) and how Microsoft introduced an extended warranty period to cover RROD cases. I am not hopeful, but so far this is my 4th Shure, and 4 problems. Plus now a $720 AUD waste of money. I am not expecting a favourable response from Shure.

Extremely disappointed.

Dec 17, 2008 at 7:34 AM Post #10 of 82
I had the same problem with my old E2C headphones, cables cracked, replaced, cracked again but outside of original warranty. If the crack is occuring "behind the ear", are you wearing them at the gym or otherwise sweating in that region? I think sweat was what did in my shures - both cracks were behind the ear. You could wipe them down with a damp cloth or something, or be lazy like me and just cover the cracked wire with electrical tape!

Dec 17, 2008 at 7:47 AM Post #11 of 82
I still have an old pair of e2c that developed a crack on the left cable two years ago. Used some electric tape to cover it up (and the right cable as a precaution) and it still works amazingly.

Didn't know new Shure models are still having this problem. It was a known issue back then.

Dec 17, 2008 at 9:09 AM Post #12 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by oogabooga /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had the same problem with my old E2C headphones, cables cracked, replaced, cracked again but outside of original warranty. If the crack is occuring "behind the ear", are you wearing them at the gym or otherwise sweating in that region? I think sweat was what did in my shures - both cracks were behind the ear. You could wipe them down with a damp cloth or something, or be lazy like me and just cover the cracked wire with electrical tape!

Yeap, predominantly gym use. Funny thing is, my wife has been using the Etymotic ER6i for quite a while now with the same gym schedule as I and you just can't foresee a crack happening in the cable. So I take it you were unsuccessful in getting yours repaired/ replace due to the being out of warranty?

Dec 17, 2008 at 12:02 PM Post #13 of 82
mversion, i would not give up so easily... Contact Shure USA and see what they have to say, tell them this is a recurring and widespread problem. They might not admit that, but may well decide to replace them free of cost... esp if you ask nicely, maybe say that you have been put thru considerable inconvenience already...
My etyomtic ER4p stems cracked repeatedly but although they did not admit that this was a common problem, they did replace my earphones twice after the warranty expired.
Best of luck

Dec 17, 2008 at 7:00 PM Post #14 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by oogabooga /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think sweat was what did in my shures - both cracks were behind the ear. You could wipe them down with a damp cloth or something, or be lazy like me and just cover the cracked wire with electrical tape!

Sweat does degrade the Shure cables. I make sure to use a sanitizing wipe on them (where they're in contact with the ear) after I've been out sweating in them.

Dec 17, 2008 at 8:04 PM Post #15 of 82
Mine also cracked, I got them used, so no receipt. Shure said without the receipt they'll charge me $145, which seems pretty obscene. It would be cheaper to have them recabled as an upgrade. I've never touched a soldering iron, I don't want to tackle it myself. Grrr.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back