SE530 cable breaking (out of warranty) ... decisions... decisions... decisions...
Feb 6, 2012 at 11:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Mullet

1000+ Head-Fier
Anyone ever have to re-terminate their SE530s? I've had mine for a few years now and just noticed this…

The sleeving is coming off.

Up for consideration is to snip the cables off at the jack end and re-terminate them with a 3.5mm jack. The upside is cost. The downside is the slight chance of mucking something up. Another option is to have ear impressions made and have them sent into a place like Fisher Hearing. I don't know if they re-cable them or not. Not sure of the cost either with ear impression costs included. The downside will be cost. The final option is to send them into Shure and get them repaired/replaced with SE535s for $240. The downside is cost; the upside is a great ear phone that is detachable. As a DIYer I would normally be in the camp of just sucking it up and fixing them. But I'm tempted to go the Shure out-of-warranty route. Also, I've never had an issue with fit… so why would I want to reshell them. I was thinking of doing that with my TF10s that are a pain to get the right fit. The only thing that works for me, but is costly is using Comply foamies. Anyways, that's another discussion all together. What would you do?

Feb 6, 2012 at 11:47 AM Post #2 of 4
I'd try the DIY retermination.  Then if that goes sour you can go for the re-shell?  But that's just me.....

I suppose just paying the $240 for the new 535's is the safe route, but I'd be inclined to go the cheaper route's first.

Feb 6, 2012 at 12:39 PM Post #3 of 4
Yeah... cheaper can be better. However, that $240 is getting another 2 year warranty and the guarantee of easy cable replacement. Not sure how much better the 535s are over the 530s. I'd be more inclined to do the reshell if we were talking about TF10s. Then again I have to find out what the total cost of reshells would be before I can make a decision.

Feb 8, 2012 at 5:17 PM Post #4 of 4
I ended up buying a $3 1/8" jack and re-terminating it. It sure beat paying $240 to Shure for a new pair of SE535s or a combined $200 to an audiologist and InEarZ for remolds/recable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back