SE530 and E500: So are they the same or not?
Jan 23, 2009 at 6:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

velveteer

Head-Fier
I'm getting conflicting reads here.

Some say the E500 and SE530 are identical; these are usually people who haven't owned both.

Others say the SE530 is noticeably superior in terms of sound quality to the E500; these are people who may simply have let the updated packaging get to their heads.

Any consensus on this point?

Jan 23, 2009 at 6:46 PM Post #2 of 9
To answer your question: Yes and no.
biggrin.gif

My understanding is that shure just re-released the E500 as the SE530 when they launched the "SE" line as their consumer IEM line.

Somewhere near that time, the olives showed up insstead of of some additional silicone tips, but I don' think there were really any major changes made to the phones themselves.

The short answer is that the E500 is the old name for the SE530's. They're not BOTH currently available as Shure products.

Jan 23, 2009 at 8:36 PM Post #3 of 9
Right, the SE530 is a re-branded E500 with different packaging. As of about a year ago, Shure also started building the SE530s with a reformulated cable, so the cabling differs between recently manufactured SE530s and E500s.

As to the sound, there should be no difference between the two.

Jan 25, 2009 at 2:05 AM Post #4 of 9
Re-cabled because of failure or ? That is a difference.

Sonically, it should be really close if not identical.

Jan 25, 2009 at 2:23 AM Post #5 of 9
I also read somewhere that the drivers sound tubes were vented differently. so that would impact on the sound I would immagine

Jan 25, 2009 at 4:15 AM Post #6 of 9
See this thread, post #24 by Sugarfried.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sugarfried
One last time: SE530 (the product) IS THE EXACT SAME as E500.

Now, since that was posted, they did reformulate the cables. But that is all that has changed.

Jan 25, 2009 at 10:05 AM Post #7 of 9
like I said I read it somewhere. plus I dont really mind. i'm an EX SE530 owner now

Jan 25, 2009 at 6:25 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
like I said I read it somewhere. plus I dont really mind. i'm an EX SE530 owner now

Dude, we all saw that you said that already. The point of my post was to try to provide something definitive. Unless you can cite the source of your information, it is an unsubstantiated rumor and, based on what Sugarfried said (you know who he is, right?) what you read somewhere was wrong.

Jan 25, 2009 at 6:29 PM Post #9 of 9
That claim was made by somebody on Audiogon (the post is one-two years old now, I forgot), and he had only one post; still had only one when I read the original thread a few weeks ago. So the credibility for that is pretty much null.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back