SE210 or Ultimate Ears Pro5
Jan 19, 2008 at 12:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

hockeyiz

New Head-Fier
I bought a few earphones recently to test out which one I want to buy. I bought an SE 310 an SE 210 and the Bose in ears and planned to take back the 2 that I didn't like.

My main need is noise isolating so the Bose were bad for that. The 310 and the 210 as far as I can tell are almost identical except 210 sounds like it has a little more bass. I'm really looking for something in the $150-200 range.

I narrowed it down to the UE 5.Pro (which I found for 180 on Headroom) and the SE210 but I couldn't test out the UE 5 Pro because no stores around me carry it so I need to rely on informed opinion.

I've used the SE210 for a few days and it's a bit uncomfortable as the plugs go very deep. However, I would like more bass which the UE 5 apparently delivers. They're apparently more comfortable too and are shallower but does it isolate as well as the SE 210?

Also are the UE 5Pros much better than the SE210s in terms of sound quality? Is the bass or highs overpowering in the UE 5Pros?

Also does anyone know if Headroom allows returns for opened products? It says they need to be like-new to get out of paying the restocking fee but does that mean they need to be unopened?

Jan 19, 2008 at 12:54 AM Post #2 of 17
It doesn't mean that they can't be opened. Just make sure everything is tip top. Also, get the UE 5 Pro. In my opinion, they crush the 210 and 310.

Jan 19, 2008 at 1:03 AM Post #3 of 17
I looked on the Headroom graphs and apparently the UE 5 Pros are worse for isolation. Can anyone concur by experience with both? Also people say the cord is subpar and too short. Is this true?

Jan 19, 2008 at 1:09 AM Post #4 of 17
They block out about 10db less than the shures, but they don't go in your ear as far.

The cord is fine. It has an extender and the cords are removable at any time.

Jan 19, 2008 at 1:21 AM Post #5 of 17
Super.Fi 5 IMHO.

Use mine on airplanes and am amazed at how much the jet noise is blocked out.

Jan 19, 2008 at 1:56 AM Post #6 of 17
Personally I'd go for the SF5's. Shure's have a better fit, but the SF's sound better to me. Both cables are not great compared to something like the Westone's. But most people won't be bothered by it.

Heck, if you want to try both, I'll have both up in the FS section as soon as I get around to taking pictures.

Jan 19, 2008 at 2:13 AM Post #7 of 17
Thanks for all the replies. I'm thinking I'm going to get the UEs. One question though. It seems that the plugs stick out pretty far and don't go deep. Surely they are more prone to falling out than the Shures which go in deep, right?

Mar 31, 2008 at 9:12 PM Post #11 of 17
I don't understand why I keep seeing the the Shure se210s being negatively compared to Super.Fi Pro 5s.

In the UK the Super.Fi Pro 5s (£120) cost twice as much as the Shure se210s (£60), so of course they're going to be better, but for the price the se210's are a damn good pair of headphones.

Mar 31, 2008 at 9:23 PM Post #12 of 17
I own both the Shure 210s and the Ultimate Ear Super fi 5 pros, and I would heartily suggest that you go with the UE pros, if you have the funds. While the Shure 210's are not bad for the amount of money they cost I found them to be a bit tinny and lacking body for my taste. There definitely is some detail there in the high-treble, but I can't say that I enjoyed the listening experience quite the same as with my UE Super fi pros. The UE's have much more body, and for long durations of listening are much easier to listen to.

As far as comfort, the shures will have a snugger fit due to the earpieces, but I wouldn't worry about the UE's falling out of your ear as well. If the silicon pieces fall out too easily try the foam ear pieces they will fit more like the Shures.

Though I recommend the UE super fi's this really isn't a fair comparison as the UE's are dual driver to the Shure single driver.

Hope that helps.

Apr 1, 2008 at 2:20 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyiz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I looked on the Headroom graphs and apparently the UE 5 Pros are worse for isolation. Can anyone concur by experience with both? Also people say the cord is subpar and too short. Is this true?

Alas, it seems to me that the primary determinant of how much isolation you get with any IEM is the size and shape of your ear canal. I wouldn't put all that much stock in a supposedly "objective" measure like a graph without knowing a lot more about the test conditions.

FWIW, I bought a pair of UE5s at a time when my primary phones were a pair of Shure 3s. For me, at that price point the UEs are better, and it wasn't a close call.

Apr 1, 2008 at 2:58 AM Post #15 of 17
I owned the Shure 210s for 2 years. Loved them, then lost them. Bought them again and returned them, and went for the UE Superfi. 5 Pros. The only thing the 210s have over the UE SF 5Ps is trying to type out UE Super. Fi. 5 Pro as appose to Shure 210.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back