Se210 or E3c or ER6i or Super.fi 5
Dec 11, 2007 at 11:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

am520dj

New Head-Fier
So I'm making my first serious quality earphone purchase. I like the in-ear and I think they'd be great for my usage. I'm really sick of reading conflicting reviews, although it led me to realize it has to deal a lot with what fits best and sounds best for your music. That in mind, I still want to make an educated purchase, here's what I want, I hope some of you can help me out.

Cost: $150 or less
Style: In-ear, but how nice they look means nothing to me.
Sound quality: Obviously I want the best for my price range, but it has a lot to do with what I listen to. I enjoy a wide variety of music

What I do listen to
  1. Alt/Indie Rock
  2. 'Normal' Rock
  3. Vocal/Classical
  4. 50s-60s popular

What I rarely listen to
  1. Country
  2. Rap
  3. R&B
  4. Today's pop music
  5. Hard Rock

Usage: Primarily with my iPod/Laptop.

What I've been looking at:
(feel free to suggest otherwise)
  1. Shure Se210
  2. Shure E3c
  3. Etymotic ER6i
  4. Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5

Thanks for your help, like I said, trying to decide on one has been a pain.

Dec 11, 2007 at 11:52 PM Post #3 of 13
You can get SE310's on ebay for 160.00, Also E4c's pop up in the f/s forums here in the 120-150 range pretty regularly. I had e4's for about a year and a half and loved them with similar listening preferences to you. The only reason i don't still have them is do to theft. After listening to e500's se420's and super-fi 5's I have decided to replace the E4's as i prefer them to the higher models especially when taking cost into consideration.

Dec 12, 2007 at 12:25 AM Post #4 of 13
Another vote for the SF5. To me, the Shures you mentioned are a bit muddy and rolled off on both ends of the spectrum. The ER-6i is ok, but kind of sterile/flat/uninvolving in my opinion. With its dual drivers and very clean presentation, I think the SF5 is in a higher league than the others on your list.

Dec 12, 2007 at 1:34 AM Post #7 of 13
I would definitely go with the Super.fi 5 Pro. Or, pick up the Altec Lansing im716 for $50.

Dec 12, 2007 at 1:36 AM Post #8 of 13
I'd go with the UE super.fi 5 Pro. You could get by with the UE super.fi 3 studio I have, but that model is just a tad lacking in bass.

Dec 12, 2007 at 1:43 AM Post #9 of 13
SF5P! for bass, ety's really won't do it and the build quality is just as weak although it has great sound. The shure are just plain overpriced and the sf5p is dual driver too. More depth but still great sound!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back