SE or balanced b22?
Mar 7, 2009 at 6:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

juswyq

100+ Head-Fier
I'm considering getting a b22 kit from glassjaraudio. However, I can't really decide whether to go balanced or SE.

For one, all my cans and sources are currently single-ended. I had a plan to get a balanced b22 and reterminate my headphones, while using it with my single-ended source before upgrading to a balanced source in the far future (maybe 3 or 4 years time).

However, would going balanced be really worth it? The balanced kit from glassjar costs over usd100 more than the single-ended kit(not including the better transformer and larger chassis, plus recabling of headphones, etc), and cash is kinda tight; however, i just want to future-proof my rig so that in the future I don't have to regret about not having gone balanced. Another dilemma, as usual... it's hard to part with hard-earned money :S

Most of the top-end DACs are balanced as far as I can tell, so I figured if this amp is going to last me to the end, I might as well go straight for balanced.

However, one concern is: Would I be able to modify the balanced b22 so that I can plug in both balanced and SE cans in? The only option I can think of is if the ground is passive... Any way for it to have an active ground instead? This is so that I can still use the amp with my headphones before i reterminate them to XLR jacks.

Alternatively the least troublesome and cheaper way is to just go for the 3 channel b22. (And also get the unsettling feeling of not going balanced) :p

Thanks a lot, I'd appreciate advice on this issue.

my cans: K701/HD650
my source(s): frankenzero, compass, recapped xfi on lm4562

proposed future rig(loong way to go): lavry da10/benchmark dac1 -> balanced b22 -> balanced hd650/k701/hd800

Mar 7, 2009 at 7:45 PM Post #2 of 23
I read it is impossible to drive unbalanced headphones from a balanced amplifier as the return wire is used differently. I have seen B22 with both SE and XLR head-outs though.

A balanced b22 should sound better so if you want to go full out or save money later on balanced might be better for you.

Mar 7, 2009 at 9:12 PM Post #3 of 23
juswyq, you can drive balanced and unbalanced headphones with a 4 board balanced build.

When running balanced the amp uses the four boards switching to unbalanced the amp will run in 2-channel passive ground mode (only using two boards).

The other way and probably better for SE phones is a 3 board build. 2 channels and a ground board.

Check out the “other options” on the amb site:
The β22 Stereo Amplifier

Mar 7, 2009 at 9:13 PM Post #4 of 23
EDIT: plus what John said above^^^
Thing about building your own balanced amp is you can use it with both balanced and SE sources as well as both balanced and SE phones, without reterminating your cans. You can even listen to a balanced source with SE cans or SE source with balanced cans.

Mar 8, 2009 at 12:09 AM Post #5 of 23
The only thing I can tell you is that I just bought a balanced amplifier. It has single ended out put and balanced outputs. My source is balanced. All my headphones were single ended and last weekend I just re-terminate my Denon D7000 and my woodied modified D2000. To my ears it is a big difference in sound. I immediately a higher volume out of the balance configuration, a lot more clarity and definition in the sound. Comparing the 2 Denon to my still single ended Edition 9 I am preferring the Denons.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Mar 8, 2009 at 12:40 AM Post #6 of 23
That's very encouraging to hear musicman. I will know soon enough what all the noise about balanced is all about.
The biggest chore will then be re-cabling my fav cans, of which the D2000 will be first.
biggrin.gif

Mar 8, 2009 at 1:49 AM Post #7 of 23
You can make a balanced b22 that drives SE phones with an active ground. HOWEVER this requires 6 boards instead of 4 which makes it even more expensive. You can check on his site for other options to see how.

Mar 8, 2009 at 3:09 AM Post #8 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by digger945 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am efforting now to use just 4 boards to cover balanced and active ground SE. It will require a switch on the amp but nothing special.

If that's possible I will just go straight for the balanced kit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by m1abrams
You can make a balanced b22 that drives SE phones with an active ground. HOWEVER this requires 6 boards instead of 4 which makes it even more expensive. You can check on his site for other options to see how.

That would enable the b22 to be able to drive two SE headphones simultaneously, but I don't require such an option. Ideally, I'd want the b22 to be able to cover balanced and active ground SE with only four boards, like what digger945 has specified as above; A switch wouldn't bother me.

Seeing how the active ground board has a few different components from a regular channel board, though, I dont think it's that easy, if even possible. If there were a way I'd just go straight for balanced.

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnwmclean
When running balanced the amp uses the four boards switching to unbalanced the amp will run in 2-channel passive ground mode (only using two boards).

I've read the AMB website and I know this is possible, but ideally I was hoping for a build where I could have a b22 that covers both balanced and active ground SE with only four boards, which would be perfect for my situation.

Thanks for all your responses so far; at this point it seems balanced would be the way to go.

Mar 8, 2009 at 4:22 AM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by digger945 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am efforting now to use just 4 boards to cover balanced and active ground SE. It will require a switch on the amp but nothing special.

4 boards B22 build is unable to have active ground since the active ground board is configured differently from the other boards(No gain). Minimum boards needed is 5 if you want both balanced and 3 channel active ground.

Mar 8, 2009 at 4:24 AM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by juswyq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've read the AMB website and I know this is possible, but ideally I was hoping for a build where I could have a b22 that covers both balanced and active ground SE with only four boards, which would be perfect for my situation.

Just to clarify, 4 four board balanced/unbalanced amp uses only 2 boards when operating as unbalanced.
So therefore better choice for unbalanced is the 3 board version, 2 channels plus ground.

Mar 8, 2009 at 8:34 AM Post #12 of 23
Seems that I'm still faced with a dilemma on whether or not to go balanced.

Does the active ground improve the sound quality of the b22 a lot if i run single-ended? If it sounds about the same I'll just go for balanced.

However if the active ground does make the sound a lot better then I might still go for the 3 channel b22 to accommodate other headphones without reterminating them to XLR.

Mar 8, 2009 at 8:38 AM Post #13 of 23
As a sidenote, I'd like to ask other head-fi forumers who've built the b22:

Where did you get your parts from? The most expensive components are the matched transistors and the transformer.. I can't seem to find them anywhere else besides glassjar or AMB labs. If there were a cheaper source of getting the transistors I'd go for it, but as of now the kit by glassjaraudio seems like the most cost-effective option for me.

I live in southeast asia so the shipping cost is a real killer.

Mar 8, 2009 at 8:43 AM Post #14 of 23
Interesting...

Is it possible to get.. like 5 boards? so they you can run 3 boards when unbalanced and 4 when balanced?

I don't really know much about any of this stuff >_>
However, I eventually plan on building a b22

Mar 8, 2009 at 9:00 AM Post #15 of 23
juswyq, IMHO if you are planning to crossover to balanced, then that’s the way to go, with the ability to also listen to your unbalanced phones within transition period.

But personally if my source and phones were SE, then I would be going down the 3 board route. From what I’ve heard the B22 is a fantastic SE amp.

Jeff’s kits are the way to go, if you were to source transistors somewhere else they wouldn’t be matched. Jeff packs extremely well, shipping might not be as much as you think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back