SDS, Supra, MPX tuberolling, the new global, improved thread
Nov 30, 2006 at 12:55 AM Post #286 of 781
Quote:

Originally Posted by adolphe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd like to get people's input on which tubes to try next.

I just got my MPX3 with High voltage switch and these are the tubes I got with it:
1x 7n7 Tall bottle
1x EH 6SN7
2x 6bl7gta
2x Tung-sol 5687

So far, I like the 7n7 with 6bl7gta's the best. I find that in the normal "low voltage" setting, I enjoy the sound better than the EH 6SN7 with 5687's. When I put the switch in "high voltage" position with the 6BL7's, a new dimension is added to the low-midrange and bass. I find though, that when listening with my HF-1's, that the bass is exagerated, but the clarity, extension, and overall "presence in my head" is outstanding (sorry, I'm a novice headphone listener, and am not very good at describing sound yet). Should I look at trying a different gain tube with the 6bl7's to tame the bass? If so, which ones would people recommend? I can pick up a few (working too much...this cash is burning a hole in my pocket
tongue.gif
) What about switching the output tubes to a pair of 6bx7's?

I should also add that I tried the EH 6sn7 with the 6bl7's and I found there to be a lot of sibilance.

-Scott

I ordered a new amp from Mikhail today
icon10.gif
and I asked if there are any tubes for my MPX3 he thought I might enjoy and he is sending some tubes and adapters only one I can remember is the 6414 for the gain. He likes it better than the 7N7 tall bottle. I will let you know when I give it a listen.

I like the tungsol 5687 for gain and the 6bl7/6bx7 as drivers. great impact nice open feel with good detail middle of the road bass that is tight and controled.

When a recording needs a little bass bump or I am listening to something that was recored well "just a little flat sounding?" I put a Sylvania JAN-CHS-6SN7GT to raise the music off the paper a wee bit, all most too bassey with the HD 650 for most of my Jazz recordings I use the 5687

As always for my tastes and with my ears
basshead.gif

Nov 30, 2006 at 12:20 PM Post #287 of 781
(well, this does pertain to tube rolling in some ways...)

Have there been any changes to the "stock" mpx3 slam se since they started producing it? Like, auto biasing and high voltage switch, or stuff like that. I did e-mail Mikhail, but it could be a while before I get a reply, so...

Nov 30, 2006 at 1:37 PM Post #288 of 781
I don't think there's a "stock" MPX3 SLAM SE. I think it was a model name coined by head-fi'ers. I believe Earl's SE has both a bias switch and voltage switch, where as my new one, only has a voltage switch. And of course you can get whatever options you want. I think the first few SLAM SE's had the upgraded caps, but I opted to get the standard caps, and possibly upgrade at a later time. But I also didn't ask for a MPX3 SLAM SE when I ordered. I spent several weeks talking with Mikhail and Earl about what specific features would suit my needs.

Basically...if you want a feature...Mikhail can do it...for a price
tongue.gif

Nov 30, 2006 at 1:59 PM Post #290 of 781
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahvetti /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got few 6414 Raytheons with my amp, and after looking the data sheets on the web, I found that the maximum plate voltage for these is 200 V. Does that create a problem with Supra? Or does the adapter take care of this?

If the plate voltage is above the max rating and a resistor were in the adapter I think the adapter would get too hot and I don't think there would be room. It depends upon what the plate is really seeing and where the tube is in the circuit. If the cathode is above ground enough volts then you maybe just fine as the voltage on the plate is from the cathode to the plate measurement but again I don't know where the tube is in the circuit so I would contact the manfuacture.

Nov 30, 2006 at 2:39 PM Post #291 of 781
Quote:

Originally Posted by adolphe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think there's a "stock" MPX3 SLAM SE. I think it was a model name coined by head-fi'ers. I believe Earl's SE has both a bias switch and voltage switch, where as my new one, only has a voltage switch. And of course you can get whatever options you want. I think the first few SLAM SE's had the upgraded caps, but I opted to get the standard caps, and possibly upgrade at a later time. But I also didn't ask for a MPX3 SLAM SE when I ordered. I spent several weeks talking with Mikhail and Earl about what specific features would suit my needs.

Well, there is a "stock" SLAM SE right now, so when you're buying a used one, it makes a big difference if it's missing a feature you'd get if you bought new, especially when upgrades tend to cost the difference between used and new.

Nov 30, 2006 at 2:53 PM Post #292 of 781
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If the plate voltage is above the max rating and a resistor were in the adapter I think the adapter would get too hot and I don't think there would be room. It depends upon what the plate is really seeing and where the tube is in the circuit. If the cathode is above ground enough volts then you maybe just fine as the voltage on the plate is from the cathode to the plate measurement but again I don't know where the tube is in the circuit so I would contact the manfuacture.

The tube only sees 190 volts so there is no problem. Furthermore, from what I have found researching the tube the 6414's max plate voltage is supposedly rated very conservatively. The best test is how well the tube holds up in actual use. I have had 6414's in my amps for a couple months now with no evidence of overheating or premature failure. If this still concerns you the 12av7 has a max plate voltage of 300 volts and they only cost $4 each. I like the RCA.
wink.gif

Nov 30, 2006 at 3:00 PM Post #293 of 781
Now that is one versatile amp! There are millions of tubes out there just waiting for a nice warm home.

Nov 30, 2006 at 3:05 PM Post #294 of 781
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some of the NOS tubes have a more refined sound that just seems "right," and there is something cool about using tubes that are 50 years old, but if all my NOS tubes were stolen tomorrow, I could live with the EH tubes and still enjoy my amp quite a bit.

Pray for that day(!)

I've actually stopped purchasing tubes now that one fine day I suddenly realised that I have more than enough tubes to last me about, oh, 3 lifetimes.
plainface.gif

Picture_006.jpg

This is about 1/2 of my 'tests NOS' 6SN7GT collection - I'm removing them from their old grubby boxes and putting them in new white boxes. Then add my noval tubes, my ST-form tubes, my WE collection, my....
frown.gif

PS: and my collection is likely nowhere near that of quite a few members here!

Nov 30, 2006 at 3:17 PM Post #295 of 781
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The tube only sees 190 volts so there is no problem.

So this is for the gain position, right?

How about driver stages? I also have the high voltage option in the amp. What I have gathered so far there is voltages of 300 V and 425 V, depending on the setting.

I started wondering about this because I got three 6414s and three ECC-adaptors here. SP seems quite busy, so I took the question here.

Nov 30, 2006 at 5:40 PM Post #296 of 781
Quote:

Originally Posted by Voltron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You are right, the SR-80s are not going to do. Nice cans, good enough for many setups, but you are already over-feeding them and the MPX3 (which will be like Christmas every day and therefore worth the wait) puts you into the penalty zone! So many cans will be great with your new setup:

HD600/650 with a nice cable (read up!)

AKG K701, K601, K501 or K340 all would be nice, but the first and last in that list are best, IMO

Sony CD3000 or ATH AD2000 would be nice closed and open cans with more of the high-end energy of the Grados.

Speaking of which, the RS-1/2 or GS1000 would be lovely since you are splurging.
Let me say it since Earl was enthralled by your automagical voltage-detecting/setting MPX3:

Welcome to Head-Fi and sorry about your wallet!
cool.gif
Given your current setup, and your fine new acquisition (congrats!), methinks you have been lurking here for awhile.
wink.gif

You are right, the SR-80s are not going to do. Nice cans, good enough for many setups, but you are already over-feeding them and the MPX3 (which will be like Christmas every day and therefore worth the wait) puts you into the penalty zone! So many cans will be great with your new setup:

HD600/650 with a nice cable (read up!)

AKG K701, K601, K501 or K340 all would be nice, but the first and last in that list are best, IMO

Sony CD3000 or ATH AD2000 would be nice closed and open cans with more of the high-end energy of the Grados.

Speaking of which, the RS-1/2 or GS1000 would be lovely since you are splurging.

OK, anything will sound good depending on how you tube-roll so find some used cans on the FS/FT forum and experiment!

Well, I got the HD580s and they sound much better (to me) than the SR80s on my XCANv3 (with nos Mullard CV2492 (uber 6DJ8)). Even right out of the box.
However, the do leak quite a bit of sound.
And, <expltive-deleted>, I paid for the amp and I ain't a sharin it with NO ONE!
mad.gif

OK, in reality I don't want to bug my office mates.
wink.gif

Is there a recommendation for a nice HP w/low external annoyance factor?
Nice, to me, means a more laid-back sound like the HD580s vs the SR80s.
I wear 'em for 10+ hrs a day at work, so comfort is important, too.

I'm mucking thru the fora, but they are, let's say, a tad large.
cool.gif

Nov 30, 2006 at 9:39 PM Post #297 of 781
I have been experimenting with various tubes to use in the driver position in combination with the Tung Sol 5687's for the outputs (with the AKG K701's). I like the sound of the 6414 as the gain tube, but it is a tad bit "aggressive" on some recordings, and in my Supra it has enough gain that you kind of have to fiddle with the volume knob in small increments to get the volume just right.

I tried an RCA 12AV7 in place of the 6414 and really did not like it. Voices in particular sounded somewhat harsh to me. I'm not sure if this was just that particular tube, as I don't have any others to try. But it was also very sensitive to volume adjustments, which makes me have to get my lazy butt up out of the chair to adjust the volume a few times before I am satisfied.

I have also tried a Tung Sol 12AU7/5814A in the gain position, and this is my favorite combination with the 5687's and the K701. This tube has less gain, so I have to turn the volume up more on my amp, but with the 5687's there is plenty of juice to drive the K701's. At the same time, attaining the right volume is much easier because the volume adjustments don't need to be so minute. The overall sound is a little bit less agressive than with the 6414 in the gain position, but the sound still has enough of the slam that you get with the 5687's. I need to listen to this combo a little more, but so far it sounds "just right," as Papa Bear would say. I would describe the overall sound as something like 6SN7's (with that smooth sound and nice bottom end) but on steroids.

Per Earl's previous comments and thoughts, I also picked up an Amperex 7062 to try in the gain position, as well as some 7119's to try in place of the 5687's, but I haven't got around to that yet. I wanted to try a few listening sessions with the 12AU7 as the gain tube over a few nights to see if my initial impressions were accurate.

Anyway, FWIW.

Nov 30, 2006 at 9:54 PM Post #298 of 781
"I started wondering about this because I got three 6414s and three ECC-adaptors here. SP seems quite busy, so I took the question here."

Are you sure they are all "ECC" adapters? It would seem more likely that two of them would be "5687 adapters" & one would be an "ECC" adapter.

I ask because the "ECC" & 5687 adapters are not inter-changable and both are 9 pin mini's to octal.

(although it is not impossible that all three could be "ECC adapters" either)

- augustwest

Nov 30, 2006 at 10:08 PM Post #299 of 781
PhilS -

Nice write-up! I too liked the 12au7 and 5687 combination, especially with the Senn 600's. One thing I didn't like is the 12au7, with the 6bl7's as outputs, this combination just didn't work for me.

I am interested to know your thoughts on the 7062 as a input tube, as that could well be my next purchase.

Last night I tried a RCA 12au7 "cleartop" as the input, and two Tung Sol 6sn7 "mouse ear" grey plates as the output tubes. I liked this combination and will likely stay with it for a while.

- augustwest

Nov 30, 2006 at 10:18 PM Post #300 of 781
Quote:

Originally Posted by augustwest /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I am interested to know your thoughts on the 7062 as a input tube, as that could well be my next purchase.

I'll try to give the 7062 a "listen to" this weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back