SDS, Supra, MPX tuberolling, the new global, improved thread
Nov 29, 2006 at 4:51 AM Post #271 of 781
It shows most of the options discussed here and some not discussed here.

Nov 29, 2006 at 5:12 AM Post #272 of 781
I used a method to surf without them knowing.

I thought he used point to point. So the amps are using a pcb?

Nov 29, 2006 at 6:00 AM Post #273 of 781
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I used a method to surf without them knowing.

I thought he used point to point. So the amps are using a pcb?

SinglePower amps are mostly available in PCB form now, but I believe that P-2-P is still an option you can specify. Mikhail is having the new website work done now and a new and improved SinglePower website is not too far off. It may actually have *most* of the available products on it!

Nov 29, 2006 at 6:39 AM Post #274 of 781
Quote:

Originally Posted by Voltron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SinglePower amps are mostly available in PCB form now, but I believe that P-2-P is still an option you can specify. Mikhail is having the new website work done now and a new and improved SinglePower website is not too far off. It may actually have *most* of the available products on it!

That will be nice. I have been looking at the site off and on for over a year and I never found it too informative. Having the pricing and options available should help quite a bit. I know from my own experience that point to point is a big plus and the difference can be heard.

Nov 29, 2006 at 6:09 PM Post #275 of 781
Quote:

Originally Posted by hungrych /img/forum/go_quote.gif
http://moon-audio.com/Singlepower.htm

Boy, those 6SN7 tube prices seem awfully high. Mikhail (or Drew) must have them hand selected and packed by vestial virgins.
580smile.gif

Nov 29, 2006 at 6:23 PM Post #276 of 781
LOL....But seriously, that's the job requirement for working in Mikhail's shop.
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Boy, those 6SN7 tube prices seem awfully high. Mikhail (or Drew) must have them hand selected and packed by vestial virgins.
580smile.gif

Nov 29, 2006 at 10:58 PM Post #278 of 781
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
580smile.gif

They are awfully high, even considering that there's no mention anywhere of life tests or NOS guarantee.

But then again you are paying for risk management and convenience, so...
tongue.gif

Nov 29, 2006 at 11:03 PM Post #279 of 781
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahvetti /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got into this tube rolling thing, and the first set is all Electro Harmonix 6SN7. I don't see much praise for these tubes, but this is already best sound I have heard this far. Is there really something much better to come still?
blink.gif

Absolutely!
plainface.gif

Nov 29, 2006 at 11:13 PM Post #280 of 781
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahvetti /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got into this tube rolling thing, and the first set is all Electro Harmonix 6SN7. I don't see much praise for these tubes, but this is already best sound I have heard this far. Is there really something much better to come still?
blink.gif

Yes, some of the "classic" NOS tubes are better, but to be frank, I think the EH 6SN7 is still pretty darn good, at least in the SP amps. I roll them in every now and again into my Supra just for a change of pace from my NOS tubes, and one time I was enjoying them enough that I kept them in for few weeks.

Some of the NOS tubes have a more refined sound that just seems "right," and there is something cool about using tubes that are 50 years old, but if all my NOS tubes were stolen tomorrow, I could live with the EH tubes and still enjoy my amp quite a bit.

Nov 29, 2006 at 11:33 PM Post #281 of 781
I'd like to get people's input on which tubes to try next.

I just got my MPX3 with High voltage switch and these are the tubes I got with it:
1x 7n7 Tall bottle
1x EH 6SN7
2x 6bl7gta
2x Tung-sol 5687

So far, I like the 7n7 with 6bl7gta's the best. I find that in the normal "low voltage" setting, I enjoy the sound better than the EH 6SN7 with 5687's. When I put the switch in "high voltage" position with the 6BL7's, a new dimension is added to the low-midrange and bass. I find though, that when listening with my HF-1's, that the bass is exagerated, but the clarity, extension, and overall "presence in my head" is outstanding (sorry, I'm a novice headphone listener, and am not very good at describing sound yet). Should I look at trying a different gain tube with the 6bl7's to tame the bass? If so, which ones would people recommend? I can pick up a few (working too much...this cash is burning a hole in my pocket
tongue.gif
) What about switching the output tubes to a pair of 6bx7's?

I should also add that I tried the EH 6sn7 with the 6bl7's and I found there to be a lot of sibilance.

-Scott

Nov 30, 2006 at 12:03 AM Post #282 of 781
Quote:

Originally Posted by adolphe /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I just got my MPX3 with High voltage switch and these are the tubes I got with it:
1x 7n7 Tall bottle
1x EH 6SN7
2x 6bl7gta
2x Tung-sol 5687

So far, I like the 7n7 with 6bl7gta's the best. I find that in the normal "low voltage" setting, I enjoy the sound better than the EH 6SN7 with 5687's. When I put the switch in "high voltage" position with the 6BL7's, a new dimension is added to the low-midrange and bass. I find though, that when listening with my HF-1's, that the bass is exagerated, but the clarity, extension, and overall "presence in my head" is outstanding (sorry, I'm a novice headphone listener, and am not very good at describing sound yet). Should I look at trying a different gain tube with the 6bl7's to tame the bass? If so, which ones would people recommend? I can pick up a few (working too much...this cash is burning a hole in my pocket
tongue.gif

I should also add that I tried the EH 6sn7 with the 6bl7's and I found there to be a lot of sibilance.

-Scott

Hi Scott,

I "only" have a SLAM PPX3. However, of the few tubes that I have tried, by far my favorite setup is a Sylvania tall bottle 7N7 in the gain position and two Tungsol d-gettor 5687 tubes in the output positions. I've not tried any other output tubes but have also tried EH 6SN7, Raytheon VT231 and a bizarre loctal pinned tall bottle 6SN7 in the gain positions. This is listed in my order of preference from least to most. It was a big jump from the EH to the Raytheon and then another big jump for the Raytheon to the "weird tube". It was a small jump from it to the Sylvania tall bottle. These were, of course, all run at "low volatage" as that's all I have.

I agree that the EH is more sibilant than the other tubes I've tried.

Regards,

-ken

Nov 30, 2006 at 12:05 AM Post #283 of 781
Quote:

1x 7n7 Tall bottle
1x EH 6SN7
2x 6bl7gta
2x Tung-sol 5687

tongue.gif

-Scott

What does the high voltage hit? I would think that with a higher plate voltage that you would also have to contour the bias, at least from my experience as I find that if you move one that for optimal sound you now have to adjust the bias and this doesn't always fit the curves that the manufacture has with the tube but knowing where the tube is meant to operate does help. From that point I may or may not deviate. It does not surprise me that you might detect some sibilance with the 6SN7 but again this can be just that one tube or the operating points that the tube is seeing.

Nov 30, 2006 at 12:10 AM Post #284 of 781
I don't have a bias adjust switch. I asked about that before I ordered my amp, and my understanding is that it auto-biases (or at the very least, I think it adjusts the bias along with the plate voltage). Can anyone confirm this?

I'm curious to try some other 6SN7's (particularly the vt-231's) but there are so many different types, and I'm not sure where to start.

Nov 30, 2006 at 12:47 AM Post #285 of 781
Quote:

I don't have a bias adjust switch. I asked about that before I ordered my amp, and my understanding is that it auto-biases (or at the very least, I think it adjusts the bias along with the plate voltage). Can anyone confirm this?

I'm curious to try some other 6SN7's (particularly the vt-231's) but there are so many different types, and I'm not sure where to start.

It would be a cathode bias and it floats with the plate voltage but you still don't really have control over what the tube is doing without a bias on the tube but then if you are not measuring what the tube is doing you could bias it too high and ruin the tube and cause other problems. A fancy rig would have a bias meter but you are talking more bucks. Well I would just use the tubes that sound great at the settings the amp has. I found that with my preamp that the 76 single triode section tube sounded best when run slightly hot. It was a higher voltage setting and bias than the curve but the sound was so very fine. On my 27 mesh plates, they sound good right in the curve.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back