SDS, Supra, MPX tuberolling, the new global, improved thread
Nov 27, 2006 at 8:53 PM Post #256 of 781
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another question: Is the 6829 a possible substitute for the 6414? Is the 6829 another designation for the 12AV7, or is it slightly different?

Phil ... you arent paying attention.
biggrin.gif

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showp...&postcount=177

Nov 27, 2006 at 9:06 PM Post #257 of 781
Quote:

Originally Posted by Frihed89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is the 6SN7 a Low or high voltage output tube for the SE models? The max plate voltage is supposedly 450V. Can it run at high voltage? If so, is the spound improved, or changed?

The 6SN7GT has a max plate voltage of 300 volts. This tube is not suitable at high voltage if the amp also has a higher bias current setting. I would think this would be a no for your SLAM SE.

The later 6SN7GTA/B have a max palte voltage of 450 volts. These tubes will work fine at the high voltage setting. I have used 12sn7gta's at the higher voltage and they sound good. I didnt spend a lot of time with them because I like the 6bl7gta better ..... so I dont have a truly informed opinion to make valid distinctions.

Nov 27, 2006 at 9:48 PM Post #259 of 781
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks, I looked through the thread before posting my question, but it's getting so long, I just missed it. It sounds like the gain might be a little problem for me though.
eek.gif

I was just teasing you. I knew I posted about the 6829 but it took me five minutes to find my own post.
redface.gif

The 6829's are < $10 .... I would give one a try.
wink.gif

Nov 28, 2006 at 1:33 AM Post #260 of 781
Hi all, I'm just joining the SinglePower MPX3 family.

I don't know if this has already been posted (I looked but couldn't find
anything), but I just ordered my MPX SLAM and when I asked about the 12V mod,
I was told that there was a version that will automagically set the correct
voltage for the tubes installed. And it can handle mixed voltages on the
gain and output tubes.

It is a bit pricey at $499 (IIR) though. But I'm indulging myself after a
ton of (paid) OT.
blink.gif

With the combination of *SN7 and SLAM tube types at various voltages I can
try different permutations until I'm old and grey (err... older and greyer.)

My current system: PowerBook G4 --> cog(FLAC decoder) --> M-Audio USB Transit
--> glass fibre --> CI Audio VDA.1 + VAC.1 --> XCANv3 --> Grado SR-80 -->
N2+O2 --> ear drum --> hammer, anvil --> cochlea --> CNS --> pleasure center.

The XCANv3 will be replaced by the MPX3.
Methinks the Grados are now the weak link. Any suggestions for 'phones that
will complement this system will be most appreciated! I'm wading thru the
threads, but I'm always ready to accept suggestions.

I also have some Etymotic ER6s. But the cable noise is intolerable. Does
anyone know of a hack to alleviate this? Wrap the cable in cotton batting?

They said 4 to 6 weeks for delivery. That's like waiting for Christmas!
frown.gif

Nov 28, 2006 at 3:20 AM Post #261 of 781
Quote:

Originally Posted by Amarok /img/forum/go_quote.gif

gain and output tubes.

I had him mention that this was possible several months ago. Man what will he think of next?
cool.gif

Nov 28, 2006 at 6:30 AM Post #262 of 781
Quote:

Originally Posted by Amarok /img/forum/go_quote.gif

gain and output tubes.

It is a bit pricey at $499 (IIR) though. But I'm indulging myself after a
ton of (paid) OT.
blink.gif

With the combination of *SN7 and SLAM tube types at various voltages I can
try different permutations until I'm old and grey (err... older and greyer.)

My current system: PowerBook G4 --> cog(FLAC decoder) --> M-Audio USB Transit
--> glass fibre --> CI Audio VDA.1 + VAC.1 --> XCANv3 --> Grado SR-80 -->
N2+O2 --> ear drum --> hammer, anvil --> cochlea --> CNS --> pleasure center.

The XCANv3 will be replaced by the MPX3.
Methinks the Grados are now the weak link. Any suggestions for 'phones that
will complement this system will be most appreciated! I'm wading thru the
threads, but I'm always ready to accept suggestions.

I also have some Etymotic ER6s. But the cable noise is intolerable. Does
anyone know of a hack to alleviate this? Wrap the cable in cotton batting?

They said 4 to 6 weeks for delivery. That's like waiting for Christmas!
frown.gif

Let me say it since Earl was enthralled by your automagical voltage-detecting/setting MPX3:

Welcome to Head-Fi and sorry about your wallet!
cool.gif
Given your current setup, and your fine new acquisition (congrats!), methinks you have been lurking here for awhile.
wink.gif

You are right, the SR-80s are not going to do. Nice cans, good enough for many setups, but you are already over-feeding them and the MPX3 (which will be like Christmas every day and therefore worth the wait) puts you into the penalty zone! So many cans will be great with your new setup:

HD600/650 with a nice cable (read up!)

AKG K701, K601, K501 or K340 all would be nice, but the first and last in that list are best, IMO

Sony CD3000 or ATH AD2000 would be nice closed and open cans with more of the high-end energy of the Grados.

Speaking of which, the RS-1/2 or GS1000 would be lovely since you are splurging.

OK, anything will sound good depending on how you tube-roll so find some used cans on the FS/FT forum and experiment!

Nov 28, 2006 at 4:56 PM Post #263 of 781
Last night I tried a new tube combination that I had never tried before. It consisted of a 5965 tube in the driver position, using the ECC adapter. In the outputs I had the 6bl7’s run at the 300-325 volt output setting. This turned out to be a rewarding tube set. With my Senn hd600’s it created a very dynamic, punchy sound that was a pleasure to listen to. In contrast with the 12au7 as a drive tube, it had somewhat more body while retaining a dynamic detailed sound, the high end wasn’t as extended, and it had less of an airy quality. The bass end was respectable and satisfying.

With these qualities I though that it might be a good tube set for the Grados, and I was right. What seemed to work so well with the 5965 tube and Grados is the less extended highs. For me this is where many of the 9 pin miniature tube and the Grados fail as a combination. The Grados with their unrestrained high end and the 9 pin miniature tubes with their crystalline detail and clarity sometimes just seems to be too much.

The 5965 tube was quite reasonably priced too. At only $2.50, shipped it is a real winner, especially when paired with the 6bl7’s.

Happy listening!

- augustwest

Nov 28, 2006 at 9:54 PM Post #264 of 781
Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amarok View Post

gain and output tubes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had him mention that this was possible several months ago. Man what will he think of next?
cool.gif

I think a kind of jukebox device that can swap tubes would be cool.
I'd be the ultimate tone control.

Nov 28, 2006 at 10:34 PM Post #265 of 781
Quote:

Originally Posted by Voltron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Let me say it since Earl was enthralled by your automagical voltage-detecting/setting MPX3:

Welcome to Head-Fi and sorry about your wallet!
cool.gif
Given your current setup, and your fine new acquisition (congrats!), methinks you have been lurking here for awhile.
wink.gif

Yep. I learned about everything here but the Grados.
And I'm *so* glad I learned about the CIAudio DAC.1... that is an amazing device at any price and a steal at its going price. I listen to a lot of older stuff (Yes, Queen, Da Who, Zep, Mike Oldfield) and some of that stuff isn't recorded as well as one would like. The DAC.1 makes 'em all sound great. Joe Jackson's _Jumping_Jive_ sounded so good I couldn't actually get back to work until it was over. And newer recordings, esp classical, sound amazing, too.
Quote:

So many cans will be great with your new setup:
HD600/650 with a nice cable (read up!)
AKG K701, K601, K501 or K340 all would be nice, but the first and last in that list are best, IMO

Sony CD3000 or ATH AD2000 would be nice closed and open cans with more of the high-end energy of the Grados.

Speaking of which, the RS-1/2 or GS1000 would be lovely since you are splurging.

Actually, I don't like the high end of the Grados.
But after looking around some more, I've decided on the HD580. From the discussion, it seems like the gain in quality attained by moving upward to >= 600s isn't worth the extra $$, especially given the number of bits of resolution of my ears. I even ran into a place selling the HD580s and above that was saying they didn't think the higher priced models had very much on the 580s (Their conclusion, not mine). Interesting to see a shop push a lower priced model over a higher priced one.
Also, I ended up adding so much to the MPX3 that I'm kinda splurged out. Especially after splurging on a new AMD FX cpu for my game box.

Quote:

OK, anything will sound good depending on how you tube-roll so find some used cans on the FS/FT forum and experiment!

Ah yes; the tube rolling. Too bad all of those 12V'ers are so much cheaper than their 6V counterparts.
wink.gif

It'll take so much longer to try out all of the affordable combinations. It's a heavy burden, but I think I can handle it
cool.gif

I feel like a little kid. I want to keep emailing SP asking "Is it done yet?"
But I think they'd get annoyed after the first 100 or so.

Thanks for the welcome and the suggestions.

A

Nov 29, 2006 at 3:02 AM Post #266 of 781
We haven't had any photos in this thread for a long time, so I thought I'd just throw a photo up of my new amp! Running 6SN7EH in the gain position with 5687's in the output positions.

IMG_2595.jpg

Nov 29, 2006 at 3:59 AM Post #267 of 781
Is there anywhere on the SinglePower site where you can see the options and price? I have gone there but I find it frustrating because I do not see the Slam or any of the options so often written about.

Nov 29, 2006 at 4:45 AM Post #269 of 781
Quote:

Originally Posted by adolphe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We haven't had any photos in this thread for a long time, so I thought I'd just throw a photo up of my new amp! Running 6SN7EH in the gain position with 5687's in the output positions.

IMG_2595.jpg

Equipped with a Plitron ..... nice.
icon10.gif

Nov 29, 2006 at 4:47 AM Post #270 of 781
Quote:

Originally Posted by hungrych /img/forum/go_quote.gif
http://moon-audio.com/Singlepower.htm

But you should definitely discuss it with Mikhail first.

Sure, that would always be necessary. Now I can't access the site from China. They keep cutting off sites with the recently implemented firewall for the country, province by province.

Does his site show the slam and all the options?

thank you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back