SDS, Supra, MPX tuberolling, the new global, improved thread
Aug 5, 2006 at 10:54 AM Post #31 of 781
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gabe Logan
Earl could the same adaptor be used for the 6cg7 & this 6gu7?
biggrin.gif

Yes .... and there is yet another tube I havent had time to try yet, called a 6EV6, that can use this adapter. The 6GU7 seems to work extremely well for gain with TS 5687's in the SLAM PPX3 .... and the senn 600's as the headphone of choice.

Aug 5, 2006 at 11:44 AM Post #32 of 781
Earl,have you been using the 7119,ECC99,12au7/5814a as outputs or as inputs as well?

Aug 5, 2006 at 5:15 PM Post #33 of 781
Vic,

All Senn cables are with Drew for re-configuration to balanced XLRs. Maybe, the ES-1 will arrive next Monday. It's in Fort Worth, this morning. I will say, I sorely miss the MPX3. I just don't have much space here in the Condo.

Also, I heard that Singlepower has developed a PPX3 balanced. Hmmmmm. Maybe before the holidays.

Aug 6, 2006 at 2:35 AM Post #34 of 781
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob N
Earl,have you been using the 7119,ECC99,12au7/5814a as outputs or as inputs as well?

7119 and ECC99 as output tubes only .... and the 12AU7/ 5814A for gain only.

Aug 6, 2006 at 5:05 PM Post #35 of 781
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vic
The starting point of compairison might be the different 6SN7 experiences, where most people were suggesting Tung Sol round plate, Sylvania W, Sylvania VT231 1952 or Ken Rad as the best tubes and maybe compare them with the other formats now available.

Sounds like a fine place to start so here goes...

While I think the TS RP has spot on tone I think it's a bit lean in the bass department. So far in my PPX3 Slam with Plitron transformer I like the following three tubes the best in the gain spot:

Sylvania 6sn7w (short bottle)
RCA VT231
Mullard ECC32

The Sylvania is probably the most well rounded of the three, it has fantastic dynamics and good detail retreval. The Sylvania works well with pretty much all the output tubes I've used.

The RCA I like because it's wonderful tone and warmth. It can sound a bit soft but it has a very natural sound to it. I usually use a pair of 5687 Tung Sol D's as output tubes with the RCA.

The Mullard ECC32 has a fantastic midrange and plenty of slam. The best output tubes for the Mullard are a pair of 6BX7GT's. The speed and dynamics of this tube combo is pretty damn amazing.

Aug 9, 2006 at 12:52 AM Post #36 of 781
Quote:

Originally Posted by tkam
While I think the TS RP has spot on tone I think it's a bit lean in the bass department. So far in my PPX3 Slam with Plitron transformer I like the following three tubes the best in the gain spot:

The Mullard ECC32 has a fantastic midrange and plenty of slam. The best output tubes for the Mullard are a pair of 6BX7GT's. The speed and dynamics of this tube combo is pretty damn amazing.

I agree that the bass is not the strong point of the TS RP, it is certainly not one of the tightest. I find the mids excellent though and a good soundstage. I have had them on for about 15 hours, so it is a bit premature for me to judge.

Interesting. I will try to get a couple of Mullard, they should be the only one easy to find here in the UK. Will they work in my Supra? do they need an adaptor?

Aug 9, 2006 at 1:06 AM Post #37 of 781
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vic
Interesting. I will try to get a couple of Mullard, they should be the only one easy to find here in the UK. Will they work in my Supra? do they need an adaptor?

The Mullards draw 0.95 amps of heater current vs 0.6 amps with a normal 6sn7gt. With some amps that could be an issue. But the Singlepowers overspec'd power transformer will handle the increase without any problems. This tube has an octal base and therefore no adapter is needed. I heard this tube in tkam's amp this Saturday and I concur ..... the ECC32 is extremely good sounding.
600smile.gif

Aug 9, 2006 at 5:36 PM Post #38 of 781
Earl -

Just to clarify:
In the stock PPX SLAM (with the 6sn7 input)

I can run the Mullard ECC32, or other ECC32, with damage to the amp?

also

I can use the Amperex 7119, or ECC99, in the output. But will it require an adapter if I already have sockets for the 5687, since it is a SLAM version?

or can this be done only with the MPX3 models?

- augustwest

Aug 9, 2006 at 5:59 PM Post #39 of 781
Quote:

Originally Posted by augustwest
Earl -

Just to clarify:
In the stock PPX SLAM (with the 6sn7 input)

I can run the Mullard ECC32, or other ECC32, with damage to the amp?

also

I can use the Amperex 7119, in the output. But will it require an adapter if I already have sockets for the 5687, since it is a SLAM version?

- augustwest

The ECC32 has to much heater current (0.95 amp) to use with two 5687's (2.75 amps total) in the ppx3. The ppx3 transformer has a rule of thumb limit of 2.5 amps.

6CG7/ 6SN7 / 7N7 all have 0.6 amp heater current requirements .... and the 5687's use 0.9 amps. 0.6 + 0.9 +0.9 = 2.4 amps total.

The 7119 has the same 9 pin mini socket and the same pin out as the 5687 so you just put the 7119 tube in the 5687 sockets; no adapter needed. Furthermore, the 7119 has a lower heater current requirement of 0.6 amps .... so you could use the ECC32 for gain with two 7119's as the output tubes. 0.95 + 0.6 +0.6 = 2.15 amps total.
wink.gif

Aug 9, 2006 at 8:05 PM Post #41 of 781
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vic

They are pretty easy to find in the US as well, they just generally cost a ton usually $150+. It'll work fine in your Supra as a direct replacement.

Aug 10, 2006 at 6:48 PM Post #43 of 781
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vic
I am noticing that the sound of new tubes still changes noticeably after about 30 hours. What is roughly the expected burn in (for those who believe in it)? maybe around 50 hours?

The amp itself can take a hundred plus hours to fully break in. You could be hearing the tubes OR the amp changing .... but probably both. I think most tubes are set around 50 hours. But some feel you need 100 hours or so.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 10, 2006 at 9:14 PM Post #44 of 781
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover
The amp itself can take a hundred plus hours to fully break in. You could be hearing the tubes OR the amp changing .... but probably both. I think most tubes are set around 50 hours. But some feel you need 100 hours or so.
smily_headphones1.gif

Earl, my amp was actually a demo model with about 300 hours already on, plus around another 70 from me. So it should not change too much.
I can definetely hear the tubes sounding differently: ATM I have a pair of TS RP as gain and the bass was slightly boomy at first, but now (after about 25 hours) it is getting quite tight.

I have also noticed that the Supra needs a good hour of warm up before sounding at its best

Aug 10, 2006 at 9:34 PM Post #45 of 781
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vic
Earl, my amp was actually a demo model with about 300 hours already on, plus around another 70 from me. So it should not change too much.
I can definetely hear the tubes sounding differently: ATM I have a pair of TS RP as gain and the bass was slightly boomy at first, but now (after about 25 hours) it is getting quite tight.

I have also noticed that the Supra needs a good hour of warm up before sounding at its best

Then the change was definitely the tubes. But I think some tubes change more than others .... or maybe I notice certain characteristics more and it just seems that way. But I have heard the bass increase or go the other way and settle down. But the treble is where I hear the biggest changes .... usually a loss of edginesss and a mild brightness. But again, that could be what I am personally most sensitive to.
blink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back