SD card help
Jun 8, 2008 at 6:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

souperman

Headphoneus Supremus
So, my SD card got scratched by the workers at Wolf camera, and they claimed I scratched it with my own camera, which I do not believe at all since I have done so quite a few times, without noticing scratches before I went to Wolf. The camera doesn't read the card anymore because of the scratches on the metal contact part that's exposed. I took apart a cheaper SD card, to take a look at the insides, and I'm not much of an electronics person, but it seems like the data is stored on a chip, and the metal contacts do nothing, but transmit data? Am I right? If that is so, I'm guessing I have some way of recovering all my pictures, since the data itself isn't corrupt. Right now I'm quite pissed, as the SD card held a lot of memories for the past few days that I didn't have a chance to back up.

In short, does anybody have suggestions on how to fix an SD card that has scratched metal contacts?

Jun 8, 2008 at 7:32 PM Post #2 of 5
If the data is really important to you I would recommend taking it to a professional. I would go to an electronics store (not like bestbuy,but the diy selling resistors, capacitors, wire electronics store), ask someone working there if they can help you out / do it for a fee. The people working at those stores usually do it because they love electronics and are usually eager to help someone in need.

Jun 9, 2008 at 3:50 AM Post #3 of 5
Do you have pictures of the damage? You are correct in that the exposed metal parts are just contacts. The actual chips that hold the data are protected by the plastic case. The first solution that comes to mind is to take a pencil and fill in the scratched portions of the contacts with lead. The pencil lead is conductive and will bridge the scratches. This is commonly done by PC modders to create circuit board traces where there are none. It might just work for you and is easily reversible via an eraser.
icon10.gif

Jun 9, 2008 at 5:08 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by SmartBomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The first solution that comes to mind is to take a pencil and fill in the scratched portions of the contacts with lead. The pencil lead is conductive and will bridge the scratches.

Yeah, I was thinking along those lines too, since the metal parts are just contacts.
cool.gif

Jun 9, 2008 at 2:36 PM Post #5 of 5
For the record guys, pencils do not use lead, they use graphite, which is a derivative of charcoal and is thusly wood based (look into Chernobyl... yikes).

The theory is sound though. I think adding a little goldleaf or something to the contacts should fix the issue enough to recover the data.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back