Screwdriver: impressions on the Rega?
Jun 14, 2003 at 8:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

london luke

100+ Head-Fier
Notice you have a Rega planet..... I have been looking at a player in this price band (S/Hand)

This and a marantz cd63ki

What do you think of the planet as a source????

I just want to listen to the music.. no bells and whistles etc!!!

Just a nice cd player is all I want

Cheers

Jun 15, 2003 at 12:01 AM Post #4 of 9
Please post your impressions. Im also considering a rega, and I hate to see a totally useless post.

Jun 15, 2003 at 12:50 AM Post #5 of 9
Tim ,

i got my rega planet 2000 used for $450 shipped with free pair audioquest cables.
it is in mint condition with remote control , original box and manual.
i really wanted to thank the previous owner coz this piece is like new .

BUILD:
i got the black color piece. it looks awesome as it is top loading and the face is very simple .
the display is rather cool IMO - it is color red and it also displays the CD names and tracks if the CD you are playing is capable and has this feature.
it has coaxial , and optical outs , and has 1 pair of audio RCA outs, and a detachable ac cord .
i replaced the ac cord with a virtual dynamics power 3 cryoed and it made me hear improvements in sound but not really a lot.

REMOTE CONTROL:
it is very easy to use and i have no problems with it.

SOUND:
i can only relate to this one with what i have only used :
sony ns755v scad/cd/dvd player , and a pioneer dvd- audio /dvd /cd player .
the sound of the rega planet is - i can only describe as flat , transparent and natural.
it is better in every respect to the other 2 players i have mentioned earlier.

OVERALL:
this is a very decent cd player but you have to know your taste in music , some people like a more natural ,transparent approach - these people will like the reaga palnet 2000.

for people who like more dynamics to the sound , a little color which they relate to being fun to listen to - then this player is not a good choice.

to be able to surpass this player i think you have to shell out more $$$ to the price i paid for it ($450), or maybe double .

the best solution is to try it out in your system - then if it does not work for you - sell it .
you know how hard it is to bring home a piece of gear to audition .

Jun 15, 2003 at 2:07 PM Post #6 of 9
I think Rega has released a new planet player (how many are there) which has received very good reviews. I don't remember the price but it's perhaps worth checking it out.
As for the Marantz, IMO the CD63 is begining to show its age. It was a good player few years back but nowadays the 6000 series is far better. The Rega will beat it too.

Jun 15, 2003 at 2:48 PM Post #7 of 9
i think there are 2 rega planet cd players . the original rega , and the rega planet 2000.

in their site - there is no mention i think of the planet 2000 - they still refer it to as the rega planet .

here is a link reviewing the original rega planet with a picture;
http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/staff06.htm

here is a review with picture of the rega planet 2000:
http://www.audioenz.co.nz/2001/0110.html

then you can spot the difference.

the rega planet 2000 is the one that got the good reviews

Users who are viewing this thread

Back