Screw-on 1/8" to 1/4" adapters: brand compatibility
Apr 18, 2005 at 4:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

sacundim

100+ Head-Fier
I just got a used AKG K501 that came without the factory screw-on 1/8" mini to 1/4" plug adapter. The one that came with my DT 880 fit it perfectly, though. (I need to check also against my Sony V7...)

How standard are these adapters? If I buy one from Sennheiser, should I expect it to fit my phones?

Apr 18, 2005 at 8:29 PM Post #2 of 4
Mini/standard sized jacks and plugs are standardized at 1/8"/3.5mm and 1/4"/6.5mm respectively. Unless you need an adaptor for a mini jack to standard plug, your adapter will work with all your headphones.
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacundim
I just got a used AKG K501 that came without the factory screw-on 1/8" mini to 1/4" plug adapter. The one that came with my DT 880 fit it perfectly, though. (I need to check also against my Sony V7...)

How standard are these adapters? If I buy one from Sennheiser, should I expect it to fit my phones?

Apr 18, 2005 at 10:09 PM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by taymat
Mini/standard sized jacks and plugs are standardized at 1/8"/3.5mm and 1/4"/6.5mm respectively. Unless you need an adaptor for a mini jack to standard plug, your adapter will work with all your headphones.

No, you've misunderstood my question. It's about screw-on adapters-- the ones that have a thread in the inside that matches the thread on the 1/8" plug on the headphone. So, the adapter screws on the mini plug, is more compact, and doesn't come off easily.

The AKG K501 and Beyerdynamic DT 880 come with this kind of adapter. What I want to know is whether the one from a Sennheiser HD 280 will fit it, so I can order one.

Apr 20, 2005 at 2:14 AM Post #4 of 4
I brought my Sony V7 from work to home, and I've confirmed that the adapter does screw on properly, so I'm pretty confident that they're all the same across brands. I'll order the Sennheiser ones and post my results here for future generations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back