Screw my budget: Looking at Music Hall MMF-25 or (probably) Arcam Diva CD72T
Aug 31, 2002 at 9:25 PM Post #16 of 30
Kelly, you really kick some ass around here (not anyone's ass in particular
smily_headphones1.gif
) . I must say that I really appreciate your input.
smily_headphones1.gif

New plan for evaluation

I could go with a NAD C541i, which has gotten some favorable reviews and sounds better than the Sony NS500V for redbook. I can get the NAD for $400 shipped. That leaves me under $500 for my source. With the NAD and my META42, I'll probably be quite happy, but if I get upgraditis (not unlikely
very_evil_smiley.gif
), I could easily get the ART DI/O, and save some money and have it modified. Then I have a great source to start with (NAD) and some budget remaining for a planned upgrade to the ART DI/O.

To me, that sounds like a better plan than getting the Arcam and not being able to afford the ART DI/O period, or getting the Sony NS500V and having a somewhat weak redbook source when all I will be listening to is redbook.

Basically, I get the NAD now and enjoy it, then Merry Christmas I get the ART DI/O and have it Boulder modified
cool.gif

BTW. Still planning on Outlaw RCA interconnects. Seem like best bang for buck in that area.

What do you guys think about that?

(FYI- I won't be ordering the source for a week at the absolute minimum, so I'm still having fun researching. No worries about an impulse purchase here
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Aug 31, 2002 at 9:42 PM Post #19 of 30
Quote:

Have you gotten out and tried to listen to any of these players?

I'd like to.

Once I get my META42, I might (should) go over to the Seattle area (2hr drive) and find some place that carries these players, and sit down for a listen.

I am in Yakima, WA right now, and AFAIK, there is only one place that even might have CD players here. I'm going to look there tomorrow, but I doubt they will have anything.
frown.gif

I'm going back to the University of Washington (in Seattle) at the very end of September, but then my transportation would be limited to the bus, and I won't take my Etys or META42 on the bus. So, I will have to drive over and audition them some time within the next three weeks or so.

I'm not sure that I will, but think I should.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 1, 2002 at 5:30 AM Post #20 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly

Eric343
This post was intended for someone who has not already invested in the Arcam CD72. For you, you should look more into a more revealing headphone and amplifier for your next upgrade. You should go listen to Stax then visit HeadWize's Gilmore articles and reevaluate your life.

You're a bad influence
wink.gif

And the Stax Omega 2+SRM-007t I've hated both times I've listened to them. It sounds like there's a hollow reverb in the headphones and a whole slew of other things.

Actually, my next system upgrades will be something along the lines of the following:
1. DIY powercords, using double shielding and really thick wire, with proprietary spiral air/plastic dielectric, Wattgate IEC/wall plugs of course.

2. Kevin Gilmore DC-coupled solid-state electrostatic amp. When that's tested and finished (or maybe before):

3. Sennheiser Baby Orpheus headphones (or Big Orpheus if I can get some for <$1k)

4. Some good DIY interconnects (silver signal tape maybe?)

5. BPT Jr.

6. Arcam CD72 -> CD92 (if Tuberoller will sell it to me through the mail) or CD92T if I can find it for $800-900, or FMJ-CD23 if I can afford it.

7. Exotic DIY vibration damping. (hanging weights, magnetic levitation, etc)

8. Bliss.

Sep 1, 2002 at 5:38 AM Post #21 of 30
radrd
I haven't heard the 541C so I don't know. Audition it first if you can. I do believe the quality of low end sources has moved significantly in the last couple of years so if the 541C isn't a newer design my prejudice would be against it.

eric343
I know one time you heard the Stax 007 it was HeadRoom's which I believe had issues to say the least. When was the other?

I haven't heard the Orpheus Jr. Maybe I should make a point of that. The Orpheus was very good but isn't for me.

Sep 1, 2002 at 6:02 AM Post #23 of 30
kelly: Both times were on HeadRoom's Omega (they visited Seattle twice, you know). And in any case, the Omega is too expensive for my budget.

And don't bother listening to the Orpheus Jr. The amp that goes with it is horrible - brighter than the 590s and otherwise crap. Ask Todd, he'll tell you
smily_headphones1.gif
It really needs a better amp to sound decent, according to everything I've heard.

Sep 1, 2002 at 6:44 AM Post #24 of 30
Quote:

I haven't heard the 541C so I don't know. Audition it first if you can. I do believe the quality of low end sources has moved significantly in the last couple of years so if the 541C isn't a newer design my prejudice would be against it.

It is quite new, and from what I have read it is quite good. Auditioning would be a good idea. Hopefully I can try one out before I decide whether I want it or not.

As it turns out, Audio Connection on University Way NE (Seattle) is an Authorized NAD and Music Hall dealer. Maybe I can go over there and audition both the c541i and the mmf-25. Hey eric343, have you ever been to Audio Connection by any chance?

Sep 1, 2002 at 6:57 AM Post #25 of 30
Nope. But if you're going out audition hunting, check out Hawthorne Stereo, they're Arcam dealers and usually have a CD72 in stock.

Sep 1, 2002 at 3:48 PM Post #28 of 30
I own a music hall mmf 25 and like it very much. Im still waiting for JUDE to finish his review of the player(hint, hint). It has great detail and a nice wide soundstage. Bass is tight, but it is important to pair it with equipment that isnt bright. Its level of detail combined with bright equipment would make it fatiguing.

Sep 1, 2002 at 10:58 PM Post #29 of 30
Take Five Audio has a great price on the Music Hall mmf-25 (Shanling rebadge), and they will ship into the US. But...

With all of fear of bombs and terrorists, is it likely that my package would be searched and potentially injured?

That would suck.
frown.gif

Sep 1, 2002 at 11:50 PM Post #30 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by radrd
As it turns out, Audio Connection on University Way NE (Seattle) is an Authorized NAD and Music Hall dealer. Maybe I can go over there and audition both the c541i and the mmf-25. Hey eric343, have you ever been to Audio Connection by any chance?

I've been there -- Audio Connection is a very interesting place. I like it. It's owned by an old guy with a long beard, and apart from NAD, Music Hall, and Creek he has probably the best selection of tube gear in Seattle. The owner is the total opposite of a pushy salesman -- in fact, he won't agree to sell you anything unless you bring a couple of your favorite CDs to audition on the gear you're thinking of purchasing.

Hawthorne Stereo is good too, but they're more of a traditional audio retailer and they have their own opinions about what's good, etc. They do have a great collection of used gear, and you can even browse their stock of used gear on their website. Stereolab and a number of other stores are also nearby, but I don't recommend them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back