Screw Guitar Center
Jul 30, 2010 at 3:49 AM Post #31 of 46
Just go elsewhere!
If they do not want your money then so be it...

Jul 30, 2010 at 4:28 AM Post #33 of 46
Actually, my guess is its not so much the grunt employees, but the managers who are likely Best Buy rejects. Most employees at these are likely not long term employees, and so the manager is likely the one that sets this stuff. Chances are, they ran whatever other brand store they were running into the ground (well not really, but were doing poorly) and so got released.

While I'm not a fan of Best Buy, the one that opened in the town I went to college wasn't bad actually, I never had a problem with them beyond being asked if I'd been helped by every worker in the store, which isn't even really a bad thing necessarily.

Actually that's true in general, as a lot of chains vary store to store, some are good, some aren't.

If you're treated poorly, don't give them business, and if nothing else send corporate an e-mail/letter/phone call just to tell them that you would gladly have done business with one of their stores but were treated poorly (and tell them which store it was you had a problem and what the problem was/is).

Jul 30, 2010 at 5:14 AM Post #34 of 46
Quote:
I agree. But there is no way to demo headphones except at CanJams. That sucks. No CanJams in my area. *sigh*

You ought to be able to find some shop where you can demo a few headphones.  Some brands are going to be easier to get demos of than others, and some brands you won't be able to find at all in most localities.  Check local home hi-fi audio shops.  Some of them may have brands like Grado or Sennheiser and may have some available for demo listening.  Apple stores have a few headphones.  Check the local pro audio oriented stores.  There's more than just Guitar Center.  The pro audio shops are more likely to have brands like Ultrasone, AKG, Beyer, Audio Technica M-50,  Shure, and similar studio work oriented headphones.  Some local music stores that sell band instruments and electronic keyboards may have some odd-ball headphones.

Jul 30, 2010 at 12:37 PM Post #35 of 46

Quote:
You ought to be able to find some shop where you can demo a few headphones.  Some brands are going to be easier to get demos of than others, and some brands you won't be able to find at all in most localities.  Check local home hi-fi audio shops.  Some of them may have brands like Grado or Sennheiser and may have some available for demo listening.  Apple stores have a few headphones.  Check the local pro audio oriented stores.  There's more than just Guitar Center.  The pro audio shops are more likely to have brands like Ultrasone, AKG, Beyer, Audio Technica M-50,  Shure, and similar studio work oriented headphones.  Some local music stores that sell band instruments and electronic keyboards may have some odd-ball headphones.

Mostly Sony and Bose, LOL!

Jul 31, 2010 at 3:31 AM Post #37 of 46
Well regarding Sam Ash, pretty sure Best Buy bought them out forever ago. Googling??
I'm not 14 or 15, I'm 42. Best Buy is rolling out, (slowly it appears), music instruments, etc, in some of their
strores. BB is a much better option here in San D.

Jul 31, 2010 at 7:44 AM Post #39 of 46
I bought my HD650 at GC , price matched @ $300. Same with a 2003 DT 880 @ $200. A Central Station at a great price too. I've never wanted to test a HP there because they don't carry the good stuff. I do have a HP on special order there...been waiting 4 months now. This will be the last time because of this.

Jul 31, 2010 at 8:49 AM Post #40 of 46
I must not be paying attention cuz I didn't know GC carried headphones. The one I go to on South Colorado blvd in Denver is very hands on in checking new stuff out, and definitely lets "the kids" play with the gear. I'm mainly into composing and have a guitar and keyboard, and GC is really great with accessories, helping me find what I need etc. I really can't say anything bad about my experiences there.

Of course, these are individual stores, and they each reflect the management style of their respective GMs. Find another GC in your area, and if they treat you better, let them know.

Jul 31, 2010 at 9:14 AM Post #41 of 46

Quote:
Well regarding Sam Ash, pretty sure Best Buy bought them out forever ago. Googling??
I'm not 14 or 15, I'm 42. Best Buy is rolling out, (slowly it appears), music instruments, etc, in some of their
strores. BB is a much better option here in San D.

I did a search, but couldn't find anything about BB owning Sam Ash except for comments on Best Buy and GC(in which the parent companies were not the same).  According to Sam Ash's website, it's still family run.

The Best Buys around here have had instruments and PA equipment for a while now(though very small selection).

Jul 31, 2010 at 2:57 PM Post #43 of 46

Quote:
My memory stands corrected, BB does not own Sam Ash, though they are the real purveyors of such heretofore fringe brands as Rocketfish, Dynex, and Insignia.

uh, what? all three are best buy house brands.

Jul 31, 2010 at 11:48 PM Post #44 of 46
Yes, yes, they are. I won't forget the time I first beheld the range of Rocket Fish HDMI
cables, all the way from 50-170! I'm looking at the dude and he's looking at me knowing
what I'm thinking..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back