screw Beats, ATH m50s rule! But some people don't seem to think so...
Oct 29, 2013 at 5:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

gogotheyogrtman

New Head-Fier
Hello; first time poster, long time lurker,

So here's the deal:
I'm in 8th grade and everyone except for a few of my other friends think Beats were the best think that ever happened to anyone ever.  Half of the kids in my grade have Beats (who are the stuck-up stubborn little brats who think just because they're rich they're cool and stuff, and they only listen to that top 40 garbage and have like 50 or 100 songs on their iPhones) and the other half couldn't give a crap about music in general.  But a few of my friends and I are the only people who care about true quality of headphones and speakers.  I currently own Audio Technica ATH-m50s and Sony noise canceling headphones as my backups.  My friend has Grado SR125is and my other friend has Sennheiser HD 280 pros.  We're the only people in the grade who actually care about the quality of the stuff we buy rather than the style.  People are actually picking on us about it... (yeah I know, pretty pathetic) and I mean, I'm a big guy with a thick skin, so I can take the **** that they throw at me.  The other thing is, my friend is about to buy pros and I keep telling him it'll be the biggest mistake he'll make in a LONG TIME, but he won't listen.  Can you guys help me out?  What should I do to convince my friend that he shouldn't get the Crap by Dre?  Could you guys convince him for me?

Thanks guys

Oct 29, 2013 at 6:00 PM Post #2 of 31
IKD what you could say but i'm in the same situation, i'm in 9th grade and almost EVERYBODY listens to the same **** music (itunes top 10), through the same **** headphones (beats by dre) and when I try to tell them other wise the flip the ****** out... good to see some other young head-fi'ers though, good luck!

Oct 29, 2013 at 6:04 PM Post #3 of 31
The Pro and the new Beats are actually quite decent sounding so you shouldn't feel that guilty. I'd try to talk him into buying the 2013 Studio. 100 bucks cheaper, has active rechargeable NC and better design. It really depends on what he wants in his purchase, if it is for bass heavy music + portability + showing off then talking him out of Beats is going to be hard.

Oct 29, 2013 at 8:52 PM Post #5 of 31
OK. I tried converting many people away from beats. The truth is, some will convert, but some will remain extremely stubborn. The best solution I had was making myself look like an expert(that's only possible because I write reviews and own +$1000 of equipment). But many people without trained ears can't distinguish good headphones with a short demo. Even if you let them listen to high end gear, most won't think it sounds really good. For example, no one believed that SRH40($250)+my amp($280) was priced over $500 total. Anyways, the best is to try to ignore them or educate yourself so you can defend your knowledge. 

Here's few things you should mention when arguing against beats owners.(most people don't even know what these means)
1. Clarity
2. Transient Response
3. Sound stage/imaging
4. Detail
5. Smoothness
Beats lacks all the fallowing.

Oct 29, 2013 at 9:01 PM Post #6 of 31
why try to convince them? i'm quite sure most people buy beats for the look and not the sound. If they like the way it looks, then good for them. Some people also like the way beats sound, i mean what if i told you i think M-50's sound like crap? you'd probably deny it, but that's EXACTLY how someone with beats feels. just give them your opinion and if they don't listen to you then move on.

Oct 29, 2013 at 9:04 PM Post #7 of 31
hmmm feel you bro. I'm in ninth grade. A lot of people think beats are everything when it comes to audio quality. Definitely mention what kimvictor said in his post above. (I may use it as well). One kid in my class broke his headband on his solo hd's and he got all mad and worried saying that "those headphones were his life." I'm sure this is because he loves listening to music. Although, it is depressing to see that he hasn't heard true quality. I'm considering letting him use my v-moda m100 or my sennheiser 598hd's. It would make the world a better place
L3000.gif

Oct 29, 2013 at 9:32 PM Post #8 of 31
  OK. I tried converting many people away from beats. The truth is, some will convert, but some will remain extremely stubborn. The best solution I had was making myself look like an expert(that's only possible because I write reviews and own +$1000 of equipment). But many people without trained ears can't distinguish good headphones with a short demo. Even if you let them listen to high end gear, most won't think it sounds really good. For example, no one believed that SRH40($250)+my amp($280) was priced over $500 total. Anyways, the best is to try to ignore them or educate yourself so you can defend your knowledge. 

Here's few things you should mention when arguing against beats owners.(most people don't even know what these means)
1. Clarity
2. Transient Response
3. Sound stage/imaging
4. Detail
5. Smoothness
Beats lacks all the fallowing.

This, with that you may convert the people who still think and are open minded and curious for other options. However the 2 best ways to convince a stubborn person are:

1. Show a headphone that sounds similar to the Beats, when he/she say "Oh your headphone is good" tell to him/her "My headphones cost $40 dollars" :p

2. Show a beautiful crafted headphone for young people (Ex: Vmodas) and tell him/her that your headphone is better xD

Oct 30, 2013 at 3:40 PM Post #9 of 31
I think some people are attracted to beats because those are so expensive. People tend to think that high price = quality.  Telling them beats are over priced and that many cheaper headphones are better is not going to do much good. Unless they are open minded and allready interested in other options like juan1894 said. You could try something this when you talk with a rich smuck beats owner: "I can see why you like beats. Not my thing though. You know... Beats pro is 399$. Not that much for a flagship headphone.  Audio-Technica makes higher quality headphones. Ath-5000 is over 1000$. And did you see those grados? Those might be ugly but did you know Grado ps1000 is over 2000$. And those sennheiser hd280...Never heard of the brand? Well, sennheiser orpheus is worth more than 50 pairs of beats pro. I rather spent my money on brands that make high level equipment. But if you prefer brand like beats that only makes affordable consumer grade headphones...fine by me." I'd imagine that would be quite a kick in the face to someone who thinks he/she's cool because he/she has "expensive" pair of headphones.

Oct 31, 2013 at 7:39 AM Post #11 of 31
Sure, Audio Technica ATH-M50s are good but you aren't making yourself look cool by telling them that their headphones aren't as 'premium' as yours. I don't like beats but they aren't bad for the regular consumer, and low and behold we have you going around to other 9th graders who probably don't even know what Sennheiser, Shure or even what an audiophile is. I don't know, but it sounds counter
Productive.

Oct 31, 2013 at 10:11 AM Post #12 of 31
The Pro and the new Beats are actually quite decent sounding so you shouldn't feel that guilty. I'd try to talk him into buying the 2013 Studio. 100 bucks cheaper, has active rechargeable NC and better design. It really depends on what he wants in his purchase, if it is for bass heavy music + portability + showing off then talking him out of Beats is going to be hard.

So true. The new beats studio are quite good. If your friend really wants beats, tell him to get the new beats studio in blue :wink:. Make sure to mention that the new beats studio comes with a hissing sound, which is due to the nc I pressume. This is life and if one wants something really bad even though there are better options, I say go for it. If you don't buy what you really want, you'll continue to searching the same headphone even though you're friend would have bought a "better" headphone, which may be the case if you convince him. But in the end, the new beats studio is a great headphone period ( although the price is a little high, $250 may have been better priced). However, I'm glad your giving options to your friend who doesn't seem to know any other headphones, good pal u r indeed:grin:.

P.s- tell him to watch " How to be a smart consumer" by Uravgconsumer. This video will surely help him decide 99%. If he still wants beats headphones, tell him to watch " New beats studio v2 blue" by Hifiguy528. This will surely convince him to get the new studios instead of the pros:grin:. Hope this helps.

Oct 31, 2013 at 10:12 AM Post #13 of 31
This, with that you may convert the people who still think and are open minded and curious for other options. However the 2 best ways to convince a stubborn person are:

1. Show a headphone that sounds similar to the Beats, when he/she say "Oh your headphone is good" tell to him/her "My headphones cost $40 dollars" :p

2. Show a beautiful crafted headphone for young people (Ex: Vmodas) and tell him/her that your headphone is better xD

Haha, this is awesome. Love those 2 options :joy:

Oct 31, 2013 at 10:51 AM Post #14 of 31
people with lesser gears or listen to popular mainstream music dont really bother me. sometimes the sound quality is very obviously bad like my school shuttle radio or the speakers they have in school but its ok, i dont really mind it. about people that use lesser gears or beats, im fine with that too. i dont really care what they use. they are indifferent to sound quality and im indifferent to whatever gear they use. their ears are not my problem

Oct 31, 2013 at 5:08 PM Post #15 of 31
I own the M50 and have had the Pros and I think the Pro sound better for a lot of music. The M50 are better value though! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back