Screamo/old-school emo
Feb 4, 2009 at 11:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

Sabrage

100+ Head-Fier
I've been getting into a lot of screamo lately, and I didn't see any real threads about it so I figured I would start one. A note of clarification: just because a band has harsh vocals does not mean that it is "screamo". Screamo is a distinct sub-genre of hardcore punk, so metal bands need not apply. Furthermore, bands like Fall Out Boy can only be considered "emo" in the basest sense of the word. Emo has really been bastardized into a silly fad, but when it was just starting up its entire aesthetic was completely different than it is today.

Anyways, I'm having trouble finding many modern screamo bands that are worth listening to, but here are a few notaries (old and new):
The Murder of Rosa Luxemburg
Angel Hair
Saetia (naturally)
Hot Cross
United Nations
Heroin
Antioch Arrow

And some great emo:
Cap'n Jazz (one of the most influencial bands in the genre)
The Nation of Ulysses
Fugazi
Sunny Day Real Estate
Drive Like Jehu

So there it is. Discuss favorite bands, recent acquisitions, recommendations, etc. Given the low-fi quality of a lot of the older releases I wouldn't bet on a huge following here, but I'm sure we can get quite a conversation going.

Feb 4, 2009 at 3:20 PM Post #2 of 32
I always really enjoyed Reversal of Man, Love Lost but Not Forgotten, Fairweather and By a Thread. Great stuff their. Not the best sounding but nothing but awesome.

Feb 4, 2009 at 4:29 PM Post #3 of 32
I actually made a list on Rate Your Music about this here. I've really been digging On the Might of Princes and Sleepytime Trio lately.

Feb 5, 2009 at 4:49 PM Post #4 of 32
I would be really surprised to hear any good modern sreamo bands. IIRC most bands started to sound unoriginal and alike by 1997 and killed the genre (It's about time the same happens to the current "emo").

I second Sleepytime Trio, they were great. Shotmaker were my favorite, truly inventive and catchy hardcore/screamo. After their demise in 1996, they formed 30 second motion picture and released only 1 LP on SpectraSonicSound that was also great, but their sound was less furious; more sloppy-catchy.

Other great bands from that mid-90 era:
Portraits of Past
One eyed God prophecy
400 years
Honeywell
Unwound
Puritan

Feb 5, 2009 at 10:02 PM Post #5 of 32
Unwound is actually my favorite band (much love for New Plastic Ideas), and I'm glad someone else recognizes Portraits of Past's brilliance; I feel like they're way under-represented whenever 90's emo is discussed. I also just got the Portrait Complete Discography and its really really good. As far as good modern screamo is concerned, you really need to check out The Kidcrash, L'Antietam, Pyramids, and Suis La Lune (if you haven't already).

Feb 5, 2009 at 11:00 PM Post #6 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by httran /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As far as good modern screamo is concerned, you really need to check out The Kidcrash, L'Antietam, Pyramids, and Suis La Lune (if you haven't already).

Thanks for the suggestion, I have zero knowledge of current good punk/hardcore bands so I will definitely check these out.

Feb 6, 2009 at 5:16 AM Post #7 of 32
i would call myself a fan of the more modern screamo scene...

however i think the sound has changed a lot and bands nowadays that are dubbed screamo really sound nothing like the older sounding bands...would i be wrong in assuming you are referring to more punk sounding bands??

The oldest screamo band i listen to is circle takes the square and i really like them...

And i know some consider this band screamo, its a band called envy i have a feeling you might enjoy their music

Feb 6, 2009 at 6:46 PM Post #8 of 32
Last night I checked out a compilation entitled "emo apocalypse" with around 30-40 different bands doing less-than-1-minute song and I realized that some bands (don't remember which ones) had actually build up from the best of the old screamo rather than just duplicate it and make even more generic, so sorry for my snobby preconceptions about the current bands. (but I still like the old stuff better
wink.gif

Feb 6, 2009 at 11:47 PM Post #9 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by abellaw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i would call myself a fan of the more modern screamo scene...

however i think the sound has changed a lot and bands nowadays that are dubbed screamo really sound nothing like the older sounding bands...would i be wrong in assuming you are referring to more punk sounding bands??

The oldest screamo band i listen to is circle takes the square and i really like them...

And i know some consider this band screamo, its a band called envy i have a feeling you might enjoy their music

Envy is one of my favorite bands, but their newer stuff is definitely more of a post-rock/screamo mix than the kind of full-blooded 90's screamo stuff shotmaker is looking for.

Feb 8, 2009 at 6:47 PM Post #10 of 32
Yeah i think you are right listening to the way there sound has changed over the years is very interesting. Have you heard the split EP with Thursday that was one of my favourite albums last year.

Sorry to hijack the thread a little...httran What do you think of the more generic bands nowadays that are often dubbed screamo??...

i guess examples would be a skylit drive, underoath(maybe), blessthefall and a whole bunch of others if i could be bothered enough to get up and get my zune lol

Feb 8, 2009 at 6:55 PM Post #11 of 32
I've only heard one of those bands (Underoath) and I can say that they don't really sound anything like 90's and modern (00's) screamo. The Thursday split was pretty good (although I don't like Thursday at all so I didn't care for their songs) but I have a feeling Envy is moving a little too far into post-rock territory.

Feb 9, 2009 at 7:21 PM Post #12 of 32
Yeah i would definitely agree i don't think that they sound anything like "true" screamo of the 90's and some of the more modern bands you mentioned.

I always wonder how those bands were dubbed screamo...and i think you are right about envy which makes their sound more accessible to people like me. But i can understand why it might alienate some of their older fans.

What other types of music are you into?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back