Scratchy sounding CDs, What?
Mar 21, 2012 at 3:44 PM Post #31 of 40
I think as Nikongod alluded to, the degradation of commercial CDs is due to the alloy layer not being perfectly sealed and thus oxidizing.  With burned CDs, something similar can happen.  But there you are also dealing with a dye layer that can change over time too.  The pin holes are neat.  :wink:  I suppose the CIRC (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross-interleaved_Reed–Solomon_coding) can make up for that.  But it doesn't do so well on long scratches that run parallel to the 'grooves'.

Mar 21, 2012 at 3:49 PM Post #32 of 40

Quote:
The real question is why you are so resistant to accepting this plain description of the sound.

Imagine in a slightly robotic female voice:

"Welcome to the Sound Science forum! I'm sorry, but description of the sound is not an adequate measuring device. To further help you diagnose the problem, please follow the steps previously described. Thank you."

You came to a forum that has a history of requiring at least some amount tangible proof that you are actually hearing what you think you are hearing. The very *least* we could have expected would be a picture of the discs in question. The replies you've gotten could have been predicted from miles away. Sorry, but the pissy arrogant attitude isn't even justified.

Mar 21, 2012 at 5:44 PM Post #34 of 40
you sir, are so full of win.

Mar 21, 2012 at 10:33 PM Post #36 of 40

Quote:
Perfect environment for mold and mildew.

The CDs in question were pressed, rather than burned, though a couple of in question were of dodgy provenance.

Can't have mold and mildew without damp. So, in my case, no, that's not the problem.

I'm going to assume that the noise issue with my CD is due to a manufacturing defect and that the gradual degredation is the result of oxidizing.

Mar 21, 2012 at 11:04 PM Post #37 of 40
Borrow the CD from any friend, even distantly related ones, rip it, burn another copy, that should be enough, owning a physical CD is pretty much having a license for the personal use of the data contained the the said CD, so just retrieve that data again, there are means for that.

Mar 22, 2012 at 9:56 AM Post #39 of 40
iTunes.

In fact I only became aware that the CD had gone bad after listening to the rip.  I went back to the CD on the CD player, and sure enough, a veil of wail and screech.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back