Scratchy noise when turning volume knob
Jul 28, 2009 at 8:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Galesden

100+ Head-Fier
I have a 2move and when I turn the volume knob I can hear a staticy sound. I was checking online to see what it might be and I think i might need to clean the volume pots. Is that right? And if I do,will I need to take apart the amp to clean it or can I clean it externally? Also, how do I clean it? Thanks.

Jul 28, 2009 at 9:47 PM Post #3 of 10
This happens on my P3+ too.Not something id call a bi deal, and it only starts when gettin g up to moderate volume. Why do u even bother, just keep the volume at one place?

Jul 29, 2009 at 12:04 AM Post #5 of 10
@Punnisher: ya the same with me its just static, i was just wondering if this was some indication of future amp failure.

Jul 29, 2009 at 1:20 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Galesden /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@Punnisher: ya the same with me its just static, i was just wondering if this was some indication of future amp failure.

Probably not as long as it doesn't get any worse. I have had several amps and players that have had some static when adjusting the volume. I think you're good as long as there is no static when the knob isn't turned.

My 2 cents...
-HK sends

Jul 29, 2009 at 1:26 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Did you try sending an email to Jan explaining him the problem?

Jul 29, 2009 at 1:32 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

I have a 2move and when I turn the volume knob I can hear a staticy sound. I was checking online to see what it might be and I think i might need to clean the volume pots. Is that right? And if I do,will I need to take apart the amp to clean it or can I clean it externally? Also, how do I clean it? Thanks.

This sometimes happens with my Move as well. All I need to do are spray a little bit of contact cleaner into the crevices of the volume pot (no need to open anything up), turn the pot up and down (to evenly distribute the cleaner) and wait a while for the alcohol to evaporate. Turn amp back and enjoy again.

Hope that helps. Cheers!

Jul 29, 2009 at 5:11 AM Post #9 of 10
Thanks i think i solved the problem, i usually don't turn the volume up that much on it so i hadnt really fully rotated the knob in a while. All i did was turn it back and forth for like a minute. When i was doing this it felt gritty like there was sand in there or something while i was turning it. Eventually after about a 2 minutes of turning the grittiness went away and now there is no static when i turn the knob. Hopefully this will remedy future static problems but if not i think i will have to use the contact cleaner. Again thanks for everyones input.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back