Scratching Head over Latest Sour eBay Experience
Feb 8, 2010 at 10:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Joelby

1000+ Head-Fier
I bought a case off eBay for a new iPod Classic I just purchased.

I recieved my package today. Here's what I got:
4340504602_c7068f0e51_o.jpg

Griffin Reflect package containing one of the back plates for the reflect case and a used, scratched to **** Belkin clear case...

What!!!!!!!

Insight: The item was probably returned with the wrong contents then resold.

Feb 8, 2010 at 3:14 PM Post #6 of 13
I don't buy things from ebay, especially if they're low value items that can be found new.

Feb 8, 2010 at 5:15 PM Post #7 of 13
Really annoying. Especially since the seller list the item as New!
I would file a report against eBay.

Feb 8, 2010 at 6:36 PM Post #8 of 13
Theory: Seller was a bargain shopper who pulled it off the 'clearance' shelf at a Target store strictly with intent to resell it at a profit.

Target funnels all their returns right to the clearance shelf, and a lot of the redshirts will neglect to thoroughly check the contents of a package.

It may seem like this isn't enough profit for the hassle, but you'd be amazed how little profit some people are willing to go for on ebay. I know a guy who buys used inkjet printers at thrift stores and sells them at profit margins of $4-$5.

I can't be bothered to go to the post office for less than $20 unless I'm doing a favor for a friend.

Just a couple weeks ago, I bought a new item from some guy on ebay for $46 shipped, which was a little less than i could find it for anywhere online.

And then i was real puzzled when i found an Amazon box on my porch last week. It turned out that Amazon had the item on sale for $41 and qualifying for free shipping, so he bought it from amazon and had them ship it to me.

I'm not really sure what went on there. I'm pretty sure i checked amazon before buying from this guy on ebay - who was selling a lot of them. Maybe he's content to make $5 in a few minutes by ordering something from amazon? Maybe he does this with a lot of different items until he's blue in the face and makes hundreds of dollars a day? Maybe I'm just a cog in some sort of bizarre penny-ante money laundering scheme?

Feb 8, 2010 at 8:37 PM Post #9 of 13
Your immediate response to receiving an incorrect $10 item is to fire off angry e-mails and tell everyone you're planning to keep the item and leave negative feedback even if the seller refunds your money. Who's the scammer? Do you think the 65 other people who bought the same item from the seller were just not savvy enough to realize they'd been scammed?

The most likely explanation is something like what ericj suggested; the seller received a large consignment of these cases from clearance, and yours is the odd one out that was returned with the wrong item inside. I'm sure they will send you another one.

Feb 8, 2010 at 9:03 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob_McBob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your immediate response to receiving an incorrect $10 item is to fire off angry e-mails and tell everyone you're planning to keep the item and leave negative feedback even if the seller refunds your money. Who's the scammer? Do you think the 65 other people who bought the same item from the seller were just not savvy enough to realize they'd been scammed?

The most likely explanation is something like what ericj suggested; the seller received a large consignment of these cases from clearance, and yours is the odd one out that was returned with the wrong item inside. I'm sure they will send you another one.

Would you rather I send a happy email? Of course I'm angry, as anyone would be in the situation. I've got a brand new iPod waiting for a case to be utilized, only to have my time wasted with this. My email to the seller was still professional, just to the point that I'm not impressed.

After I posted the thread, I also came to the same conclusion that this probably is a returned item the seller didn't check. So I probably will leave neutral feedback if I get refunded. As for "scamming" the seller: I'm not keeping the item. It's being thrown away, because it's garbage. Plain and simple. I highly doubt the seller will have the nerve to request it. Sifting through their feedback, it seems this isn't the first time this has happened with them, anyway.

Feb 8, 2010 at 11:04 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joelby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would you rather I send a happy email? Of course I'm angry, as anyone would be in the situation. I've got a brand new iPod waiting for a case to be utilized, only to have my time wasted with this. My email to the seller was still professional, just to the point that I'm not impressed.

After I posted the thread, I also came to the same conclusion that this probably is a returned item the seller didn't check. So I probably will leave neutral feedback if I get refunded. As for "scamming" the seller: I'm not keeping the item. It's being thrown away, because it's garbage. Plain and simple. I highly doubt the seller will have the nerve to request it. Sifting through their feedback, it seems this isn't the first time this has happened with them, anyway.

always check feedback first? ... it's there for a reason

Feb 8, 2010 at 11:33 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joelby /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Diplomacy is about getting what you want without having to resort to extreme measures.

It's always best not to presume malicious intent in something that could be easily explained by way of incompetence, inattention, or accident.

At the very least, even if malicious intent is likely, it's generally advantageous to begin with a professional and courteous tone, and usually advantageous to maintain a level of courtesey and professionalism that exceeds that of the wretched SOB who's screwed you over.

It's not about being polite, it's about getting what you want. These are methods that work.

And yeah, if it turns out you are working with a scumbag, if they do or say something that makes that clear, you're welcome to throw the rules out the window once they've made it clear that they've already done that.

But, in general, in civilized societies, civility typically wins out.

Feb 9, 2010 at 12:39 AM Post #13 of 13
Maybe consult a lawyer. I was once threatened to pay $600 to a person for some reason. So I hired a lawyer. The lawyer wrote a letter to that person. That person shut up since.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back