Scratched/curved LPs and damage of TTs
Oct 21, 2007 at 11:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

drk

Head-Fier
Hello, i was wondering if you could tell me if scrstched or curved old LPs can potentially damage any parts of a turntable. if so, which part of a turntable (cartridge?) and what's a degree of an LP being damaged that would produce damages of a turntable.

also, if LPs have lighter scratches, can reproducing such records gradually damage a turntable in long-terms?

thank you

Oct 21, 2007 at 12:02 PM Post #2 of 26
I don't think a warped or lightly scratched vinyl record can do harm to the table, but the worst, might be the stylus. I believe that a poorly calibrated tonearm and cartridge installation can be more problematic to the stylus than a lightly scratched record.

Oct 21, 2007 at 1:12 PM Post #3 of 26
excuse me, english is my not native language - "stylus" is the needle itself on the cartridge? if so, are needles in a cartridge replaceable, or you have to change the whole cartridge? if needles themselves can be replaced in a cartridge, how much do they cost and are there different kinds of them?

(i'm speaking about rega's elys cartridge in particular.)

Oct 21, 2007 at 10:23 PM Post #4 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by drk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
excuse me, english is my not native language - "stylus" is the needle itself on the cartridge? if so, are needles in a cartridge replaceable, or you have to change the whole cartridge? if needles themselves can be replaced in a cartridge, how much do they cost and are there different kinds of them?

(i'm speaking about rega's elys cartridge in particular.)

Stylus is meant the "needle". Most modern cartridge has replaceable stylus, but some stylus replacements require specialized tooling or expertise. Most low-end stylus is replaceable by end users.

You might want to check with the manufacturer information to make sure your cartridge has end user replaceable stylus.

Oct 22, 2007 at 4:00 PM Post #5 of 26
Quote:

i'm speaking about rega's elys cartridge in particular

I think that's one of the few Moving Magnet carts, along with Clearaudio and Bang & Olufsen where the stylus is non removable and therefore you'll need to replace the whole cart. Rega dealers will most probably give you part exchange against a new one.

Oct 22, 2007 at 6:34 PM Post #6 of 26
The only way a record can damage a turntable is by playing a filthy record. The stylus can get all gummed up. At normal tracking weights, playing through scratches and warps will further damage the record, but not the turntable.

See ya
Steve

Oct 23, 2007 at 1:03 PM Post #7 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only way a record can damage a turntable is by playing a filthy record. The stylus can get all gummed up. At normal tracking weights, playing through scratches and warps will further damage the record, but not the turntable.

See ya
Steve

thank you all guys, you're very helpful
smily_headphones1.gif

just one question for you steve - what do you consider to be a filthy record? a dusty one, one with hardened dust, or one that has some foreign substance over itself?

also, if i understand correctly - you're saying that even playing records with considerable scratches, even the ones that make the record skip won't damage the stylus, cartridge or any other part of a TT - is that right?

Oct 23, 2007 at 5:39 PM Post #8 of 26
Quote:

just one question for you steve - what do you consider to be a filthy record? a dusty one, one with hardened dust, or one that has some foreign substance over itself?

Dust is easy to clean off a stylus. It can be hard to clean off sticky goo. Sometimes a damp record brush can cause more problems than it solves, wetting down the dust and turning it into sludge. If a record is REALLY dirty, it's best to wash it. I used white vinegar and distilled water and it cleans off just about anything without leaving any residue or using alcohol which can leech the plasticizers.

Playing through a skip shouldn't damage anything on the turntable.

See ya
Steve

Oct 23, 2007 at 6:04 PM Post #10 of 26
No, but I've tried the old method using sunlight and sheets of glass.

There are two problems... Vinyl has a memory. It tends to morph back to the warp again, no longer how flat it is when it comes out from being flattened. Also, when the disk warps and flattens back out, the grooves stretch a tiny bit. This can give you a VERY annoying wow in the sound, like a ship rocking back and forth.

The best thing to do is to get a DJ cartridge with a good strong cantilever, crank up the tracking weight, play it through the warp and make a transcription of the LP to CD. Then just stick the warped disk away somewhere and play the CD.

See ya
Steve

Oct 23, 2007 at 6:10 PM Post #11 of 26
Hmm, good advice. I certainly can't afford one of the dewarping machines ($3k+?) and if they don't even preserve the original sound...then meh, going to CD is the answer. What bothers me most is when I order a NEW LP and it arrives warped, nothing frustrates me more. One reason having CDs/DVD-A/SACD is a nice compromise in a music collection, vinyl can be very frustrating and when I want to listen just to listen, sometimes throwing in the optical disc is the right move, no fuss no muss.

Oct 24, 2007 at 7:57 AM Post #12 of 26
how do you people actually determine if a vinyl is warped? i mean, it's very difficult to do by eye. i just look down its surface horizontally, but that way its very hard to determine if there's slight warps or not. and you can't just sipn it like you do with a bicycle wheel fixed in its centre haha. laying it on top of a flat surface and inspectin if there's curves all the way around it also wouldn't do, because records can be warped in areas closer to the centre of the vinyl. so, which method do you use?

Oct 24, 2007 at 9:03 AM Post #13 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dust is easy to clean off a stylus. It can be hard to clean off sticky goo. Sometimes a damp record brush can cause more problems than it solves, wetting down the dust and turning it into sludge. If a record is REALLY dirty, it's best to wash it. I used white vinegar and distilled water and it cleans off just about anything without leaving any residue or using alcohol which can leech the plasticizers.

Playing through a skip shouldn't damage anything on the turntable.

See ya
Steve

hmm, white vinegar and distilled water solution. or is it white vinegar, then rinse with distilled water? i've been using a distilled water/isopropyl alcohol solution to clean and it's done a pretty good job, but if it hurts the vinyl then i might try the vinegar.

i do understand the frustration with some LPs, though...i just got a brand new 200g lp of diana krall's latest...and that thing pops and crackles more than breakfast cereal. i've cleaned it twice and tried to make sure the static is gone...but no help. my 40-yr old beatles albums have less noise!
frown.gif

Oct 24, 2007 at 4:33 PM Post #14 of 26
Quote:

how do you people actually determine if a vinyl is warped? i mean, it's very difficult to do by eye. i just look down its surface horizontally, but that way its very hard to determine if there's slight warps or not. and you can't just sipn it like you do with a bicycle wheel fixed in its centre haha. laying it on top of a flat surface and inspectin if there's curves all the way around it also wouldn't do, because records can be warped in areas closer to the centre of the vinyl. so, which method do you use?

Dude, I have plucked NEW virgin vinyl straight outta the package that looked more like a twirling skirt than flat vinyl. Hills and valleys, hills and valleys. So depressing.

For vinyl not so warped, give it a spin! No need to place the needle down, just watch it spin and one can usually see hills and valleys creeping in.

Oct 24, 2007 at 5:09 PM Post #15 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hmm, white vinegar and distilled water solution. or is it white vinegar, then rinse with distilled water?(

I use four clean soft sponges... one wet one to put the fluid on, and a dryer one to take it off. Apply the white vinegar in the direction of the grooves. Get the record wet, but don't get it on the label. Then sponge all the white vinegar off with a dry sponge. Then do the same with distilled water. Towel the record off with a soft terrycloth towel and let it dry for a couple of hours before putting it back in the sleeve. Don't play it for 24 hours.

Once a record is clean, a simple record brush will do. If your records are really dirty, get new sleeves. There's no point putting a clean record in an old dusty sleeve.

Hope this helps
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back