Scratch resistant and chemical resistant coating for amplifiers- also no skid pad.
Oct 16, 2008 at 2:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Golden Ears

100+ Head-Fier
oops I meant to say "non skid pad" not no skid pad...lol..

Protect and Polish

I guess I could do this for others... depends on our production schedule- these are coatings I use for airfoils that fly in the jet stream.

The non skid pads I could do also... I'll make a movie showing the cord pulling out and the pad gripping. It really is a nice feature.

Oct 16, 2008 at 4:47 AM Post #2 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Golden Ears /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Protect and Polish

I guess I could do this for others... depends on our production schedule- these are coatings I use for airfoils that fly in the jet stream.

The non skid pads I could do also... I'll make a movie showing the cord pulling out and the pad gripping. It really is a nice feature.

Been wondering when you were gonna do your coating and post about it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 16, 2008 at 3:08 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Protect and Polish

Nice! Can this be a DIY project?

Oct 18, 2008 at 5:24 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Been wondering when you were gonna do your coating and post about it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Well I did the coating about a month ago- but I did not want to post about it right away if it was not durable...

I am very pleased with it. It is extremely scratch resistant- though a diamond can easily scratch it. Of all the coatings- this seems to be the best within affordable limits.

It is not self annealing... which I am also considering.. for a another run.... but self annealing finishes are very thick- and some can peel... You might have to engineer the entire casing with a thick coating like this in mind.

There is another type of coating I could do... but the issue really is the softness of the underlying aluminum... Yes you can hard coat anodize things.... but I have a type 3 hard anodized Surefire flashlight- and if you drop it.. it scratches...

The soft underlying Aluminum on the surefire flashlights makes it chip.

I might use a urethane based coating... for the next one.
That coating is actually cool because it has Urethane type properties to cushion it in a fall- reducing the chance for chipping.

I'd like to experiment with more coatings..and if someone would buy this black Millett I would certainly try other ones out to determine the best choice.

The better coatings would be ones that could by applied to titanium (which is much harder than Aluminium) like TiCN and ALTiCN- but then costs rises significantly... Of course so does the total Bling factor.. for ridiculous costs I can also coat with synthetic diamond... which as I have seen samples...looks AMAZING... but the cost is just too high.....uh...errr...... still want.....must have.......... must resist....

Oct 18, 2008 at 5:31 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by wuwhere /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice! Can this be a DIY project?

Unfortunately not DIY sort of thing... you have to be a very skilled person to apply these finishes... (much better than say... a skilled auto painter) it is not like spray paint at all- it is a much thinner application and hard to do right. Also they would be cost prohibitive to do in small batches..I just add them in with the production line..and pay on a per piece basis.

Oct 18, 2008 at 3:23 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Unfortunately not DIY sort of thing... you have to be a very skilled person to apply these finishes... (much better than say... a skilled auto painter) it is not like spray paint at all- it is a much thinner application and hard to do right. Also they would be cost prohibitive to do in small batches..I just add them in with the production line..and pay on a per piece basis.

So, if I want a small piece of equipment done by you, how do I do it? And your pricing?
Thanks.

Oct 18, 2008 at 7:36 PM Post #8 of 10
They do batches according to their time availability- so figure about 3 weeks turnaround give or take a week and to allow for your shipping.

$150 for a single piece, 2 pieces are $100 each, 4 or more pieces (same color) $85 each

Oct 18, 2008 at 8:44 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

They do batches according to their time availability- so figure about 3 weeks turnaround give or take a week and to allow for your shipping.

$150 for a single piece, 2 pieces are $100 each, 4 or more pieces (same color) $85 each

Thanks for the info.

Oct 20, 2008 at 5:54 AM Post #10 of 10
So if you have a amp that got scuffed a bit this could be just the ticket plus you can have a custom color and not have to go through a long break in period.

Two tone pieces can be done too.

I'm still wanting to do some other pieces in gold.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back