Scrappy Borbely Hybrid resistor q
Jun 23, 2005 at 4:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

AtomBoy

100+ Head-Fier
I've got the tubes and MOSFETs for the Borbely Hybrid so I guess I better build the thing.

The article is here:

http://www.borbelyaudio.com/pics/405borbely2506.pdf

Looking at the parts list on the last page, I'm trying to figure out what the heck "47R5" means for R5,R6. Also, I've tried to find the specs for these "non-magnetic Dale CMF 135 and RN 60" resistors with no luck. The Vishay site has info on a CMF series of resistors, but CMF 70 is as high as it goes.

I would guess that "47R5" means 47.5 ohms, but there's also a "3R9" and a "6R8". My second guess would be that "47R5" means 47 times the value of R5, but "47R5" is the value for R5 so I'm out of ideas.

I'm not so concerned with matching these parts down to the minute sonic characteristics- I just want the thing to light up and not loose any magic smoke.

Jun 23, 2005 at 4:28 PM Post #2 of 5
That's military-style markings. R=decimal point. So you've got 47.5, 3.9, and 6.8 ohms.

Jun 23, 2005 at 5:23 PM Post #3 of 5
the reason for this type of designation is schematicc reading where many times it is very hard to see exactly what the value is on a poor or dirty copy (the military refernce) but by using the "R" or "K" designator there is little doubt

So like bas said 47R5 is 47.5 ohms (imagine losing the decimal point due to a bad schmatic print and you used 470 ohms !) and 47K5 would be 47,500 ohms.

good luck with the project
cool.gif

ricmonster

Jun 23, 2005 at 7:06 PM Post #4 of 5
[slaps forehead] Thanks, guys!

Between Googling "RN60 NEAR resistor" and peering at the blurry picture of the finished amp, I'm guessing I don't need anythting rated higher than 1/2 W and that any metal film part should do a nice job.

Jun 23, 2005 at 7:12 PM Post #5 of 5
I am the one needing the slap !

I am surprised you could even read my post before the edit
icon10.gif

I will check the schemo later but other than maybe the source pin of the mosfets I can not think of a place where 1/2 watt is not fine off-hand.With the main output mosfet having a CCS at the source it most likely also uses small wattage resistors but worth a check anyway

Users who are viewing this thread

Back