Scott Nixon usbchibi quickie review
Jan 24, 2007 at 4:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

ljhodad

New Head-Fier
Scott Nixon usbchibi

Reviewer: Andre Marte
Source: Old school DIY 3.4GHz Northwood P4 PC, 2GB RAM, 2 Seagate 80GB SATA RAID 0, Sony DVD RW DRU-500A, Samsung CDRW/DVD SM-352B, Foobar2000 V0.9.4.2 or WMP11. No ASIO since the change...

Loudspeaker system: MisterX opamp-modded Audigy2, Cambridge Soundworks THX 550
(Zu Pivot cable was formally used prior to DAC installation)
Headphone system: Scott Nixon USB Chibi DAC, 3-Ft. RadioShack Model: 15-242 Gold Series RCA A/V Cable, Amp: MisterX PPA with Glassman 2nd generation buffers, Senheisser HD600 with Cardas cable.
Power/conditioning: Belkin Gold Series SurgeMaster II, BPT C-12 Power Cord with Plug-Shields, Antek True 550 power supply
Review Component Retail: usbchibi DAC $250.00

In seeking to get that eternal last 10% from my computer audio setup, another component upgrade was in order. Ubiquitous budgetary constraints ensue…better loudspeakers to me, mean a change from the 5.1 offerings which have been disappointing in implementation to a 2.1 setup, currently considering the M-Audio LX4 2.1 System, or better yet ESI’s active nEar05 eXperience and SW-10K subwoofer (the M-Audio BX5a/BX10 combo a not-so-flattering copy of the ESI models btw). But I wanted to focus on headphone system first, since it gets more hours per day. Future upgrades could mean spending $350 on a fancier amp like an Eddie Current EC-01 to $1900 for a Zana (sorry about your wallet) Duex, depending on which way the Lotto fairy flies, or perhaps $1000 on some Grado GS-1000 cans. The Sound Blaster Audigy2 is good for gaming, but for music, a superior DAC was next on the list, and I wanted to explore the usb port for a connection. Higher end contenders such as the $500 mhdt Labs Paradisea, or $950 Aqvox USB 2 D/A MK II would be nice, but today’s budget was <$300.

Enter USB Chibi DAC
Even before 100 hours of burn-in, more gain was evident on the PPA where a 40% turn of the knob got me what used to take 50%. Details were more evident too from the solid state DAC, for example when I played selections such as Norah Jones’ Lonestar in which, for the first time I heard Tony Scherr’s fingers slide on the neck of his acoustic guitar. Also noticed was that the PPA’s Bass Boost is redundant on files above 160kbps, the Chibi’s bass was deeper, much tighter and more resolved than the amp’s optional circuitry. Soundstage was not much wider, though I’m sure much of that has to do with the amp, but more so probably the headphones. This points to consideration for the next component upgrade. Other reference songs such as the Corrs Little Wing-Unplugged, to Tool’s Schism and Sober, and the related A Perfect Circle’s Weak and Powerless, to Vince Gill’s When I Call Your Name, all confirmed that for the money, it was a good choice – but I can’t help thinking what the tube buffered solution would have brought to the table…much as rumatt conjectured back in October ‘06. Thanks to Scott for providing a good product and service. Recommended.
600smile.gif

Mar 2, 2007 at 9:54 PM Post #2 of 8
Bump on an ignored but interesting thread. I would like to know more about the Scott Nixon Usbchibi. Specifically how does it compare soundwise to the MicroDAC and the USB Plus Constantine, the two other products that I am currently ruminating over. However, there don't seem to be a lot out there. Any one been able to compare even the non-usb chibi to either of these DACs?

Mar 2, 2007 at 10:41 PM Post #3 of 8
Also apparently, scott has/is coming out with new versions of his USB Dac for about ~100 more than his existing Dacs. Supposedly newer housing and improved performance.

Don't know anything more than that...anyone shed some light?

Mar 3, 2007 at 2:04 AM Post #5 of 8
Revision: rolled back to Foobar 0.8.3.

afaik, the main change has to do with going to a metal enclosure - I'm not sure if anything else has changed inside TDA1543? - his website is updated infrequently.

regarding the Constatine, the extra $100 gets you more input choices, fancier built-in power supply, and the electronics include Rubycon, Elna and Dale parts, plus the TDA1545 DAC and AD826 opamp for flavor.

That same amount with Scott Nixon can buy you a better outboard power supply, but would be better spent if you were using the tubed version, perhaps with NOS Amperex 7308 rolled in, but now you are doubling the cost and that opens the field to (too?) many more DACs to consider.

Don't know much about the microDAC...

For my current rig though, this solid state solution works for me (and my budget).

Cheers!

Mar 3, 2007 at 3:14 AM Post #6 of 8
Thanks for the feedback. The price is indeed good. I'm not sure that I'm rushing to get a DAC but I might jump at the right used deal. This sounds promising (if anyone ever sells one
eggosmile.gif
).

Mar 3, 2007 at 6:53 AM Post #7 of 8
If you email Scott, he'll send you the current price list. The last time I checked, he offered a semi-diy kit. Basically, it's the dac pre-assembled and tested but doesn't come with the USB connector, power connector, and the RCA connectors. These can be had for a significant discount over the completed dac with enclosure and power supply.

Mar 3, 2007 at 5:20 PM Post #8 of 8
Sadly I'm not much of a DIYer.
frown.gif
Well, let me qualify that: I'll tinker with something like Foobar endlessly (and I think that my cobbled-together config is primo) but put a soldering iron in my hands, you'd better run for the exits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back