scott nixon tubedac or plain dac?
Apr 12, 2004 at 9:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Pr0crastin8r

New Head-Fier
this is going to be my setup:

toshiba 3960 (or other source) --> ICs --> sn tubedac or dac --> mg head otl w/ rolled tubes --> cardas --> hd600

since my amp has tubes would a scott nixon nontubedac better suit my system?

Apr 12, 2004 at 2:55 PM Post #2 of 2
The tube in the Nixon dac is an output buffer. The buffer lowers the output impedence and gives the dac a little more drive capability. The tube is not an actual output stage. The normal Nixon dac drives the source directly from the dac chip itself. The output from the dac has a very low output and a high output impedence. A low voltage output and high output impedence means the source will have to be very easy to drive or you will have compatibility issues. I have read where this deficiency can make some systems sound lifeless, grainy and lacking dynamics, and moreover, does make results with this dac very system dependent.
The tube in the tubedac likely will not color the sound in any way that will negatively impact the tube amp. The tube is there to better match the dac's output to the input of the next component in the audio chain. I was considering one of these dac's myself and I decided the tube buffer stage would be the way to go if I were to order one. If you only want one of these filterless dac designs you might also look at the dAck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back