Scott Nixon DACs
Mar 3, 2004 at 9:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

pirate

100+ Head-Fier
I have heard suggestions that the TubeDac ($400) is actually better? than the TubeDac+($475) when used with the 3XAC ($115). Does anyone else have opinions on the differences between the two? Also, would the pairing of this tubed source along with a tube Amplifier be too much "tube" aka i should go for a SaruDac+($375), a DacKit($250 and very cheap!!), or something else entirely?

opinions opinions share them!

Mar 3, 2004 at 9:25 AM Post #2 of 13
If you're looking for something non tube-based, you should consider AOS' Piccolo DAC. The price is inexpensive ($180), so people probably won't take it seriously, but the cost of the parts alone is probably four times the cost of parts in the DacKit. I haven't heard the Scott Nixon gear to compare, but AOS' DAC is very nice.

Mar 3, 2004 at 12:58 PM Post #3 of 13
Is the AOS Piccolo a non oversampling, digital filterless DAC as well? I believe the DAC in the Sostenuto is but that was more for the portable design than as an actual design consideration if I remember correctly.

Mar 3, 2004 at 1:48 PM Post #4 of 13
I built the DacKit and it sounds very good. If you order the board and chips from Scott Nixon, you can build it for $100 or so. It's easy to build.

I have not heard the Piccolo, but I have read aos's postings about it. From an engineering point of view it is a superior design to the DacKit IMHO, and it is cheaper than Scott Nixon's assembled units.

Scott Nixon's units have only coaxial input, Piccolo has only optical input.

The only reason I haven't ordered a Piccolo is that most of my sources have only coaxial output.

Mar 3, 2004 at 2:09 PM Post #5 of 13
I think I would need to stick with coaxial, as I will be using this with a NEC 602 =(

with this factor limiting options, what are your suggestions?

Mar 3, 2004 at 2:34 PM Post #6 of 13
"I built the DacKit and it sounds very good. If you order the board and chips from Scott Nixon, you can build it for $100 or so. It's easy to build."

Does that come with the enclosure? I could probably find someone (hopefully) who can construct one of these, otherwise possibly a Head-Fi commission?

How does it compare to the stock art di/o

Mar 3, 2004 at 2:37 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by pirate
I think I would need to stick with coaxial, as I will be using this with a NEC 602 =(

with this factor limiting options, what are your suggestions?

I have an NEC 602, the DacKit works fine with it. I also have an ART DI/O and a CI Audio VDA-1, they work well also. There are many other choices at all prices that I haven't heard. Look around.

If you want a DIY project, the Nixon DacKit would be a good choice. If not, I would suggest starting with the ART DI/O. It's inexpensive and many people here have used it successfully with the NEC 602.

Mar 3, 2004 at 2:45 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by pirate
"I built the DacKit and it sounds very good. If you order the board and chips from Scott Nixon, you can build it for $100 or so. It's easy to build."

Does that come with the enclosure? I could probably find someone (hopefully) who can construct one of these, otherwise possibly a Head-Fi commission?

How does it compare to the stock art di/o

Unless you buy fully assembled, you have to supply an enclosure. As for comparisons with the ART DI/O, I can't say I hear a big difference, they are both good units. Note that the DIO has a "hot" output - higher voltage, 6-7 volts or so, that can cause system matching problems. I have used mine with a META42 and a PPA and haven't had any problems with that.

Mar 3, 2004 at 7:23 PM Post #9 of 13
I've got a TubeDAC on it's way to me in a week or two.. (he gets backordered with so much interest!)

I've also read the + version sounds more 'hi-fi' than the standard version. I think read the comments in this shoot out at audiocircle:

Quote:

I prefer the TubeDAC. The Plus version adds ... more edge, and a bit more push on the highs. It works very well with laid back speakers, but for neutral speakers, the non-Plus wins out.

I'm not sure what is so special about the 3XAC transformer. It's AC to AC, and it doesn't look like there's any filtering inside of it as per the 6moons review:

hero.jpg

Thus, I'm just going to get myself a $7.95, 4 A (not 3 A) transformer from Hosfelt (Model #56-821). If it's noisey, then I'll shell out the extra $100...

Mar 3, 2004 at 9:55 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by chillysalsa
I've got a TubeDAC on it's way to me in a week or two.. (he gets backordered with so much interest!)

I've also read the + version sounds more 'hi-fi' than the standard version. I think read the comments in this shoot out at audiocircle:

Looking forward to your impressions Chilly! The folks on Audio Circle certainly have great things to say about the TubeDAC. It would nice to organise another shoot-out with the TubeDAC, DacKIT, Ack! dAck! and the new AOS gear - in particular the piccolo.

Mar 3, 2004 at 10:29 PM Post #13 of 13
Judging from the picture, the 3XAC transformer is going to be just as noisy (or noisier) than a cheap replacement transformer. The power leads coming out of the unit are unshielded!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back