Scott Nixon dacs vs. Benchmark DAC-1
Oct 29, 2004 at 3:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

S_Dedalus

1000+ Head-Fier
Has anyone compared any of the scott Nixon Dacs to either the Benchmark or a modded e-mu card? I'm thinking of getting the tubedac kit, but would rather not if there's not much of a jump from my 0404.

Oct 29, 2004 at 6:14 AM Post #2 of 10
The Benchmark and the non-OS DAC's like those designed by Scott Nixon are on quite opposite sides of the DAC debate. Brutal honesty to the recording versus going for a more musical analog-like sound. I have not heard a non-OS DAC to compare. If the Nixons have anywhere near the quality of the DAC1, regardless of the flavor, it will be quite an improvement over any modded soundcard I've heard.

Oct 29, 2004 at 6:56 AM Post #4 of 10
I heard the DAC1 and was amazed, but it's out of my budget. I was looking for something similar in sound (as Iron says, Brutally honest), and was thinking of building a tubedac, but maybe that's out of question I guess.
frown.gif
Are there any other budget Dacs or DIYs that are along the lines of honestly like the Dac1?

Oct 29, 2004 at 9:34 AM Post #6 of 10
It could be a wonderful bargain, but its still 5 times more than I want to spend. I'm really just wondering if there are any $100-200 DIY dacs that split the difference between the emu's and the DAC1.

Oct 29, 2004 at 11:27 AM Post #7 of 10
I was considerably less than impressed with the Benchmark. I ultimately sold mine because it simply did not present music in a rhythmically musical fashion. It was mostly clear (not entirely though), relatively detailed, dynamic and extended. These are the strong points. The not-so-strong points are that it presents music in a somewhat "bleached" manner. The music was missing harmonic richness, the reach-out-and-touch-me sound, the ebb flow one might say. Music always sounded as if was coming out of a glass plate (though clean) that was reasonably wide, and high, but only several inches thick, or deep. Hence my comment about two dimensionality.
I did not find the dac1 to be as affable as the Bel Canto Dac1 (or 2), the Jolida JD-100, or a dcs Elgar/Purcell rig - all of which I had on hand or, own.

Keep in mind that subjective opinions are just that - subjective. So what one likes another may not like. Take is all with a grain of salt. And, as always, try to audition a product before you commit your bucks.

But you asked about cheap dacs - yes. I would go for one of the popular modified Toshiba's or Pioneer's or Sony's that seem to be in vogue today. I have heard some of these and they sound quite good. The Toshiba 3960 sells for $69 in BB and the modification can be done yourself. Or, there is an outfit on Audiogon advertising the units complete for approx. $200. And, you are getting an entire player, not just a dac.

Oct 29, 2004 at 11:30 AM Post #8 of 10
rnhood: Welcome to Head-Fi! (and as is customary to say) Sorry about your wallet! (though it seems your wallet has already suffered quite a bit
eek.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Oct 30, 2004 at 8:32 AM Post #9 of 10
If the mytek samples are worth anything, I for one clearly preferred the sound of the mytek to that of the benchmark.

I don't know about these generalizations about the benchmark being accurate and the non-os being otherwise. Another way of looking at it, from a pseudo engineering standpoint is that the non-os goes for simplicity and elegance while the oversamplers go for engineering or overengineering, according to some. I hope to hear for myself soon.

diyparadise has a cheap non-os dac that you can import for a not too much money. It should be good value. There are also kits that you can diy if you're interested. The nonoz is one. The dddac1543 is another. All are under $350 or so with super premium parts like auricaps and blackgates, but you do kinda have to know what you're doing, and you also don't have to do it with super premium parts, bringing the cost down in half or more.

Oh yeah, don't forget about the SN dacs
wink.gif
and the Ack Dack, though I feel there is a better alternative to the ack, which I am getting. Why doesn't anyone consider the sarudac+? It would be a good alternative for people who don't want the hassle of tubes yet want a SN kit.

Oct 30, 2004 at 10:54 PM Post #10 of 10
Btw, how is the building of the dddac1543 going?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back