Scosche IEM856MD Balanced Armature and Dynamic Driver Hybrid Universal IEM
Mar 13, 2012 at 12:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

dosley01

1000+ Head-Fier
Has anyone heard these?  I just came across them on the Big River and I'm ordering a pair to be a Guinea Pig.

http://www.scosche.com/consumer-tech/product/2194

At MSRP of $249 they have allot of competition, and even at the current street price of $189 it's still a tough market.

I've only found two three reviews that both seem pretty mediocre and the Amazon reviews are not exactly reputable. 

http://the-gadgeteer.com/2011/12/06/scosche-iem856md-in-ear-monitors-review/

http://www.gadgetreview.com/2011/10/scosche-realm-iem856md-earbud-review.html

This review actually is very positive:  http://www.cultofmac.com/135895/scosche-iem856m-this-is-a-different-beast-and-it-roars-like-a-lion-review/

I did notice their free tuneQ app also which has a seal test app and a 10 band EQ.

iTunes:  http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/tuneq/id456355749?mt=8

Android:  https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.hiddenbrains&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5oaWRkZW5icmFpbnMiXQ..

There is an open box pair on Warehouse Deals so I'm going to give them a try, I'll update my post as soon as I have some impressions.

03/16/2012 - They arrived last night and I currently have them running my burn-in play list.  Out of the box, I would say they sound pretty much exactly like I thought they would, a single BA with a subwoofer.  I'm going to let them run over the weekend and listen to them on Monday. 

See next post ->

Mar 13, 2012 at 12:53 PM Post #2 of 7
Well I didn't make it till Monday, things were a little slow at work today and I started to write up a comparison between the Scosche, MDR-EX600, TF10, Monster Miles Davis Tribute and the IE8.  Two songs and five IEMS later, I have come to the conclusion that even though the IEM856 is in the same price range as the others, it is NOT in the same league as far as sound quality.  The top end is just way too rolled off and being bass heavy causes everything to just get confused.  If you had never heard any other higher end IEM, you would probably satisfied but IMHO these should be priced $100 or less.  It's been awhile but a Monster Turbine or Sony EX500 would probably eat them for breakfast.

If you took a $50 BA and paired with a $50 Dynamic, you would get the IEM856.  But $50 + $50 does not equal even a $100 IEM, you still get the positive and negative traits of two $50 IEMS. 

I really wanted to put forth the time and effort to do a "real' review of these IEMS but it's just not worth my time.  At their current street price of $180 ish, they just can't touch the competition and would have a hard time even below $100.

If you could grab these for $75 or less, then I might change my tune. 

Now to clean up the mess!:

Posting my unedited listening notes before I threw in the towel:

The Dead Weather - Hore Hound - 60 Feet Tall

MDR-EX600 - In the beginning the drum sticks are in the center of my head and move from left to right smoothly, the kick drum is clean and fast but not overly bassy.  Cymbals seem a bit recessed.  Soundstage seems big and starts behind my head.  Around 3:13  the electric guitar in the right ear and the cymbals in the left year with the drum about in the middle, seems very clear and separated but the cymbals come off a little harsh.  It's very easy to hear the delay between Alison singing with the image centered and the reverb in the right ear.

TF10 - The drum sticks are presenting a smaller width, vocals are a bit more recessed.  Kick drum sounds just a tad muddy but a bit fuller.  Cymbals, where did they go???  They are much smother soundsing but with allot less presence.  This track is a little bit easier to listen on the TF10 but is not quite as detailed.  At the 3:13 mark , the drum moves more to the left ear than being centered but the cymbals don't seem as harsh.  It's a little harder to hear the reverb of Alison and the whole soundstage seems just a bit more left / right than cohesive.

MMDT - Much more hiss to start, left to right movement is very smooth, Holy Kick Drum Batman!  It's a little overbearing and muddy sounding but fun in it's own right.  Cymbals have a little zing to them but not hard and not as recessed as the TF10.  Wow, just felt a foot tap at 2:07 that didn't even know that was there.  These are definitely the bassiest of the bunch.  Soundstage is a bit narrower but seems to be more cohesive than the TF10.  At the 3:13 section, the electric guitar sounds great.  It's much more difficult to hear the reverb on the right side.

IE8 - Also a fair amount of hiss, but a much wider presentation.  The drum sticks sound completely different, almost like a lighter wood material. Kick drum is similar to the EX600, tight but with more bass the EX600.  The electric guitar has taken over the mix with cymbals coming off a little on the harsh side.  Good definitation of Alision the right side with the reverb.  With the UE tips I'm using, these are coming off a bit on the harsh side with the cymbals.  I honestly don't remeber my IE8s sounding harsh,I have not been using them for awile and they have about 300+ hours on them.

Scosche IEM856MD - Drum sticks sound almost right ,just a litte thin but the bass drum is just too much.  Similar to the TF10's the cymbals just don't sound right.  It's like they are barely there, It almost sounds like someone is holding onto the cymbal when it's being hit.  Alison sounds like she's coming out of a small speaker, hard to distinguish her voice.  Lots O Bass though, big fat flabby bass.  Soundstage is about average. not as big as the EX600 or IE8, closer to the TF10.  The electric quitar has good crunch and distortion.  These sound like a TF10 that has had the higher fequency BA removed and a loose dynamic for the bass, which is exactly what it is.

Eric Clapton and B.B. Kind - Riding With The King - Three O'Clock Blues

MDR-EX600 - The deep bass is there in the beginning but it does not over shadow the guitars or piano at all.  The width of the soundstage is not a big as I thought it would be, defintley outside of my head but in between a medium and large venue.  Eric Claptons voice has a bit of grain to it on these where it seems to suit B.B. Kings.  The piano is just a little bit thin sounding and I find that EC's guitar could use just a tad bit more bass to it to give it some authority.  With just a tad more mid bass, I think these would be my favorite on this track.  As I get farther in, the sound stage seems to get wider and I feel like I've moved back a few rows.

TF10 - First thing I notice is how bright these sound and there is background noise I have not heard before.  A bit more on the bottom end than the EX600 with a similar size soundstage as the IE8, just a bit narrower.  But what is that noise in the background, it sounds like a mis-aligned tape head but this is digital so what the !@#$?  It might be an issue with my VI cable and my E10.  Back to the brightness, they are not doing justice to either singers.  Too much zing on the cyblas for my liking but the extra bass does give more power to EC's guitar.  Getting a little static from B.B. King's guitar right around 4:50 but have not heard this on any of the others.

MMDT - Bass is the most obvious thing, it's almost over shadowing everything else.  EC's voice and guitar sound great, smooth and a bit laid back but B.. King doesn't come across as clear, I kind of like a little more rasp to his voice.  Venue comes across as a small stage right up front.  There is a little bit of width but about on par with the Scosche.  Very easy listening to this track on the MMDT, it just does not offend.  The more you listen, the less the bass over saturates, you do get used to it and it works will with this recording.  

IE8 - Nice deep Bass, EC and BB are very far left and right respectively.  The venue seems like a large stage with first or second row seating.  Guitars sound realistic but maybe a hair on the brighter side and just a bit thin.  Wow, just heard BB mumbling or breathing around 5:18, never noticed that before.  

Scosche IEM856MD - Bam!  There's the bass. Snare drum is clear but does not quite sound right.  Soundstage is just past my head.  Eric Claptons guitar is just to the left and slightly above my left ear.  The Bass is smack in the middle with the piano just about in the same spot on my right side as EC's guitar on the left.  EC's vocals seem to come from right around my left eye socket, with B.B. in just about the same spot on the right.  The venue comes across as a very small intimate club or even a hole-in-the-wall bar.  Not much ambiance.  I would say the presentation is like being on-stage or 1st row, very close either way.

Mar 13, 2012 at 2:37 PM Post #3 of 7
was on sale for $99 a while ago
http://slickdeals.net/f/3872150-SCOSCHE-In-Ear-Monitors-IEM856M-WHITE-Black-IEM856MD-99-frys-B-M-starts-1-27

Jan 3, 2014 at 12:17 PM Post #5 of 7
http://www.onecall.com/om-audio-inearpeace-black-in-ear-headphone-w-mic-and-remote-for-apple

Here...let me introduce you to a REAL high performing hybrid. 

Use the "MOE" code to get $30.00 off. 

The OM Audio InEarPeace hybrid. 

Detailed and clear mids and extended highs, with balanced and refined bass. 

Jan 16, 2016 at 6:26 PM Post #7 of 7
I know that this is an old thread, but I wanted to add my voice in favor of these iem. They really are not as bad as all that. $250? No, but they can be had now for $100, or less for the white ones. They have faults, as do all iem: BA treble is a little can be a little fatiguing. I find myself turning down my music to combat the piercing highs. Bass is pretty good for EDM and other Urban music. The sub bass is great, I just ran these through a sine wave sweep from 20hz up to 20khrz, really smooth all the way and I could hear the bass all the way down at 20hrz, which is low. The cable on these is so reinforced that it is heavy and the smart phone controller is bulky and heavy as well, meaning, that this is so over constructed that in is hard to keep them in my ears. Luckily the phone control has a built in clip, and they can be worn over ear. All of this to say that they are quite entertaining and well worth the $55 currently for the white ones on Amazon

L3000.gif

http://www.amazon.com/Scosche-IEM856M-Reference-Monitors-Microphone/dp/B005HIS6JM/ref=pd_sim_sbs_23_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=41zfr7%2BQe5L&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=1TGRZ444P7ESZ0W22R9Y

Users who are viewing this thread

Back