Scl5, um3x, and now the sm3…
Oct 31, 2011 at 4:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

zeitfliesst

100+ Head-Fier
So it wasn’t too long ago when I was happily trotting along with my scl5, until the wire showed signs of disconnection and the volume on one channel would fluctuate depending on how I held the wire. Since I did use the scl5 for about 3 years I thought it was a good time to move on and get a new IEM. I went with the um3x because I remember being very impressed with the um1 (my first IEM), so I bought one and when I received it, I was completely shocked because the transducer inside one of the sides was completely dislodged and was literally rattling around. I swore to myself that I would not get another Westone product due to its abysmal build quality, so I shopped around for the next best thing which happened to be the sm3. I placed an order with Sound Earphones, and when I received the package, I was very apprehensive of the state of the package, because there wasn’t any foam peanuts or bubble wrap or anything to protect the sm3 box and to stop it from moving around inside the larger mailing box. Despite my concerns, it worked just fine for several days until today. When I opened my carrying case, I found that the right side has been broken and the side of the casing that holds the nozzle has just fallen apart to expose the transducers and whatnot inside the body. I will post a picture of this when I get home, but you should really see it as it is totally ridiculous. I highly suspect that the poor packaging might have caused the earphones to weaken as they moved around inside the mailing box, but it might be that I just got extremely unlucky and got another dud. Either way, I am just amazed that this is happening to me and makes me wonder what kind of a horrible person I was in my past life to deserve this
frown.gif

Request failed.

Oct 31, 2011 at 4:27 PM Post #2 of 7
OK, now I'm not even sure if I should get a replacement or a refund for the sm3. I just want a frickin IEM that won't disassemble by itself within a reasonable timeframe. Can anyone tell me which top tier universal IEM's are known for good build quality?

Oct 31, 2011 at 4:42 PM Post #3 of 7
JVC FX700, E-Q7, EX1000, CK100 and PFE232.

Oct 31, 2011 at 10:48 PM Post #5 of 7
Thats crazy. What kinda abuse do you do on your IEMs. Thats not even the glued plastic seams, thats the body of the IEM housing!!  Did you bash your IEM with a sledgehammer??

I don't suggest getting any high end IEM for they'll all be destroyed. Get something sturdy with replaceable cables like Ety ER4s or something.

Oct 31, 2011 at 10:53 PM Post #6 of 7
Yeah I know. I'd expect this to happen if I stepped on it or something, but no. This morning I was using it fine, and then when I put it back in the carrying case and opened it later, I find this. I'm not ****ting you my friend.

Quote:
Thats crazy. What kinda abuse do you do on your IEMs. Thats not even the glued plastic seams, thats the body of the IEM housing!!  Did you bash your IEM with a sledgehammer??

I don't suggest getting any high end IEM for they'll all be destroyed. Get something sturdy with replaceable cables like Ety ER4s or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back