SCL5 impedance?
Dec 16, 2008 at 6:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

richiexu

New Head-Fier
I am using X-Fi notebook expresscard on my laptop. i wonder if SCL5 can perform well on this sound card??? i know it has impedance with 110ohm, however the sensitivity is at 122dB which is pretty high i assume??

smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 16, 2008 at 7:08 PM Post #2 of 3
hey...a bit off topic, is that expresscard very good??

ive been looking for something to stick in that slot thats worth the price, what do you reckon??

and for some info in return, if i had to guess then that soundcard would simply improve the sound of the computer at the laptop's standard impedance which is usually standard at about 16ohm. what laptop you own??

my guess is the scl5 would work but it just would struggle to get very loud and wouldnt sound as great as a result. what you need to remember is the expresscard is not an amplifier so may not modify the impedance, however it may work like an attenuator and alter impedance that way.

by the way, this is a complete guess as i have no idea about the expresscards and i could be completely wrong and likely am. if i had some advice for you it would be that if you have not purchased the scl5 yet then dont, get the se530 instead, it sounds better and is strangely usually cheaper. also its 36ohm and will certainly work on your laptop.

Dec 17, 2008 at 3:38 AM Post #3 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx20001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hey...a bit off topic, is that expresscard very good??

ive been looking for something to stick in that slot thats worth the price, what do you reckon??

and for some info in return, if i had to guess then that soundcard would simply improve the sound of the computer at the laptop's standard impedance which is usually standard at about 16ohm. what laptop you own??

my guess is the scl5 would work but it just would struggle to get very loud and wouldnt sound as great as a result. what you need to remember is the expresscard is not an amplifier so may not modify the impedance, however it may work like an attenuator and alter impedance that way.

by the way, this is a complete guess as i have no idea about the expresscards and i could be completely wrong and likely am. if i had some advice for you it would be that if you have not purchased the scl5 yet then dont, get the se530 instead, it sounds better and is strangely usually cheaper. also its 36ohm and will certainly work on your laptop.

Expresscard x-fi on my notebook actually works well; btw i am using dell xps m1530, which carried a crappy card named sigmaTel.... i tried with different head/earphones such as Audio Tech, grado, bose,etc. on my x-fi. all turns out to have satisfactory results. thus its performance with low impedane phones are without doubt decent. that's why i am wondering if it can also at least give out same result on SCL5, even with its high impedance, sensitivity is also high around 120dB

thx for ur info~~
beyersmile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back