sci-fi/fantasy books
Jan 17, 2003 at 2:08 AM Post #61 of 71
I've read the first trilogy about Covenant and while I found it unusual especially when it comes to the main character, I couldn't make myself get through the 4th book because it seemed so very similar to the previous books. But I didn't think he was an *******, I think he's actually pretty nice considering what's he's been through.
smily_headphones1.gif
Not a cartoonish nice guy without any blemish, but nice in a human way.

Jan 17, 2003 at 2:45 AM Post #62 of 71
wow, i was gone for a day and there are loads more posts than i thought there would be.

robin hobb is quite good. i am waiting for her to finish her newest series before i start on it. sounds good from the reviews though.

i actually stopped in the middle of one of the Covenant books because i just couldn't take it anymore. the main character just was way too irritating for me.

almost all of c.s. freidman's books are good. the coldfire trilogy is very good and one of the main characters, the hunter, is one of my all-time favorite fantasy characters. the maddness season is a really good sci-fi book of hers too.

i had a hard time with gene wolfe's new sun books because of all the archaic vocabulary that he uses but it was an interesting story.

j. gregory keyes's waterborn series is very good and written in an interesting style.

the first two or three books in terry goodkind's series were very good but they started to go down hill after that i thought. the mord sith scene was sweet! i haven't read the newest one yet though.

has anyone read any of steven ericson's books? i have been looking at them but i have to order them used because they are out of print for some reason. i'm also looking at michael moorcock's elric series that is partially out of print now.

Jan 17, 2003 at 4:21 AM Post #63 of 71
MadMax, if you like the Rawn books, you might like a similar series: Ann Marston's "Rune Blade" books.

The best one-volume fantasy I've ever read is Joy Chant, "Red Moon and Black Mountain." It's out of print, but the book's only fault is that it's too short. She was discovered by Tolkein's publisher in England. This is a gem.

The Robert Jordan books (I just finished #10 this weekend) are too damn long, too complicated, and no end is in sight -- although the hints of a final wrap-up are in the latest book. By this point I don't care about any of the characters; but I do want to know how it ends. Of course, it may take another ten books...

The Fionavar stuff by Kay is OK, but I think it's very derivative and unoriginal (King Arthur meets Lord of the Rings). His other stuff is amazing, however. Truly original, beautifully written, and engaging.

Didn't like the Goodkind books (too repetitive and often disgusting), the Rawn books went on for too long and were disappointing (but I read 'em all). and I never liked Covenant. But there's plenty in the genre to choose from!

Add Anne McCaffrey and Mercedes Lackey to the list. While each has written a good deal in their respective series, and the books are uneven, each has written several gems.

Jan 18, 2003 at 12:07 AM Post #64 of 71
Quote:

Originally posted by nanahachi
next to the Silmarillion and TT and Return of the King(theyre just more fun than FotR
tongue.gif
) by Tolkien

Gotta agree with that
biggrin.gif
, though FotR has what is probably my favorite character in literature ever: Tom Bombadil. TTT has my favorite race in the Ents.

I was surprised that Heinlein wasn't mentioned until that late
eek.gif

JML, thanks for bringing up Anne McCaffrey, another of my absolute favorites (McCaffrey, Heinlein, Tolkien, followed by others).

I don't think I saw anyone mention The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Universe. Odd.

I know I'll catch flak for this one, but I read most of the Star Wars EU novels. I have about 40 sitting on my bookshelf. There is one in particular (released in the past year, part 13 of the NJO series) that I thought I should mention. The book is titled Traitor and is authored by Matthew Woodring Stover. He's got another SW book coming out in June (not part of the aforementioned series) name Shatterpoint.

This one book placed Stover high on my list of authors. I went to find other works that he has created. I strongly suggest checking out Blade of Tyshalle and Heroes Die.

Jan 18, 2003 at 12:10 AM Post #65 of 71
Stover's Heroes Die and Blade of Tyshalle were quite nice. Actually, that's pretty hardcore too but it ends prettily...so to speak. Not exactly like Martin...

I associate Mercedes Lackey and Anne McCaffrey with my elementary school and jr. high school years, so my impression of them now isn't so hot, but I do remember a time when I was quite enamored of their worlds.

Jan 18, 2003 at 12:23 AM Post #66 of 71
When I think about it, my three favorite authors that I listed are from my Jr and Sr High days...granted I'm only just graduated from college (about two years after graduating from HS lol, so I guess I'm a young'un).

Jan 18, 2003 at 3:59 AM Post #67 of 71
The only thing better than rediscovering books you read and loved when you were a kid is having your own child read the same books and love them as much as you did.

For all of these books, the beauty is in the sense of wonder and finding yourself in another's world. Having company in those worlds is a truly wonderful thing.

Jan 18, 2003 at 7:06 AM Post #68 of 71
I recommend the classics, you really cannot go wrong with Jules Verne.
wink.gif

Sep 3, 2003 at 2:59 PM Post #69 of 71
Arthur C. Clarke & Gentry Lee's "RAMA" Series. Absolutely beautiful. These four books were absolutely awe inspiring and I found many times that I had to sit back for a moment and just gape in wonder.

Not dark and twisted, but it should be an amazing read.

Sep 5, 2003 at 3:04 AM Post #70 of 71
Just finished reading Ender's Game, Speaker for the Dead, and Ender's Shadow, by Orson Scott Card. Excellent! I think I read the first one in approximately a 15 hour period (12 + 3 hour time difference while traveling from the East coast to the West coast), which is a record for me.

Sep 5, 2003 at 4:40 AM Post #71 of 71
Quote:

Originally posted by daycart1
3. Dan Simmons's "Hyperion" trilogy is compellingly plotted and well conceived.

Damn straight! They're a great read if you like epic plots and worldbuilding SF.

Also highly recommended:
Anything Asimov! Nemesis is a great standalone novel if the sheer number of foundation novels frightens you, or as in introduction to his writing style.

Lary Niven's Ringworld trilogy. Great stuff, and it only gets better with each successive book.

Stephen Baxter's Manifold Time and Manifold Space.

Frank Herbert's Dune series.

Neuromancer, by William Gibson.

Also highly unrecommended:
Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars trilogy (Red, Green, and Blue. No, this is not a Seuss book.) These books have an interesting plot and a hard sf foundation, but it's hard to read a book when you hate most of the characters. Also, one can only stomach so much geriatric sex.

Stuff that looks interesting: William Gibson's The Difference Engine. It's steampunk!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back