Sci Fi Classics: Current planned remake - Dune - Peter Berg
Apr 1, 2008 at 2:35 PM Post #31 of 44
If the Jodorowsky version had ever been completed it sounds like it would have been one of the greatest sci-fi films ever made or an instant camp classic. It boggles the mind what a movie with Orson Welles, Salvador Dalí, Gloria Swanson, and Hervé Villechaize would have been like.

Apr 1, 2008 at 3:26 PM Post #33 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
II used to divide people by several polarizing judgements including if when they were young they preferred Herbert v. Tolkien (which of course is somewhat - but only partially - a sci-fi v. fantasy battle). I'm a much larger fan of Herbert and just feel there's more there there - and far less filling decoration. Approach it either as a critique of religion (read at the right age it can have a big impact there - clarifying hyperbole to non-belief for me) or as a commentary on the history of Middle Eastern oil exploitation (I wonder if some day a great future version might make an interesting large-jump chronological double-feature with Lawrence of Arabia?).

personally, i prefer Gene Wolfe's Book of the New Sun series to both Tolkien and Herbert. although, like you, i appreciate the allegory of the Dune series.

Apr 1, 2008 at 3:50 PM Post #34 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
personally, i prefer Gene Wolfe's Book of the New Sun series to both Tolkien and Herbert. although, like you, i appreciate the allegory of the Dune series.

Great, another Gene Wolfe fan....good suggestion.

Apr 3, 2008 at 11:26 PM Post #35 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hmm... thanks. I'm going to look into this.

Apr 19, 2008 at 6:45 PM Post #37 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ingwe, i hope we can compete on level ground this year. tell me how many kilometres you have gone and i will show you mine! by the way, just reading again through dune.

You mean cycling? I'm pathetic so far. In Atlanta the season is at least three-season and easily four-season. I however, lost my base-mile fitness over the last few months. I have no excuse, except that I let work take over.
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

But I'm working my way back.
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 19, 2008 at 7:33 PM Post #38 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And the funny thing is I don't even feel the novel is remotely unfilmable. It would require voice overs and some physical conversions, but far less "cinematic" projects have succeeded. It's just had bad luck so far. I welcome every stab until one gives the book its due.

For some reason, voiceovers are much maligned. Just read the comments to the Bladerunner versions, where people praise the Director's Cut for getting rid of the voiceovers. Personally, I loved the voiceovers, and consider the voiceover detractors to be mere trained monkeys trying to sound artistic ... But none the less, they wield power, and so a voiceover version of Dune may not enter the market any time soon.

Apr 19, 2008 at 7:35 PM Post #39 of 44
I hope that this Dune turns out to be a great Sci-Fi film, instead of a choppy mediocre one like its predecessor. Either way, I am looking forward to this much more than I am the American remake of Seven Samurai in ENGLISH. Terrible.

Apr 20, 2008 at 9:57 AM Post #40 of 44
I saw the move when it came out in 1984, when I was 14. I read the books several years later. The problem is that half the action in Dune occurs in the characters' heads and just doesn't transpose to the silver screen.

The miniseries was boring. Lynch's film is completely unfaithful to the book and loses all the subtlety, but the costumes and set design is lovely.

My reactions to the Dune series is quite different from most readers. I read it as much more sympathetic to the Emperor and the Harkonnens than either movie, as both Shaddam IV Corrino and Vladimir Harkonnen explicitly regret the political necessity of killing Leto Atreides. Even Feyd and Rabban are far from the mindless brutes in the movie. The Atreides, post-Paul, all come across as megalomaniac freaks wreaking genocide on a galactic scale, on the other hand.

Apr 20, 2008 at 11:59 AM Post #41 of 44
sort of side note: has anyone ever wished that an honoured matre just happened to be at a club and you just happened to get on well with her.

upon return to your place or hers, she shows you the method that will reduce your life a slave while using all her inner charms and 52 muscles is it that makes things ever so lovely?

i have

Apr 20, 2008 at 10:57 PM Post #42 of 44
if anyone watched the kingdom they might have noticed quite a few actors from friday night lights (another berg dealio) might be fun to cast the new dune with actors from that show, kyle chandler as duke leto>???
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 7, 2010 at 1:09 AM Post #44 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by zotjen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If the Jodorowsky version had ever been completed it sounds like it would have been one of the greatest sci-fi films ever made or an instant camp classic. It boggles the mind what a movie with Orson Welles, Salvador Dalí, Gloria Swanson, and Hervé Villechaize would have been like.

If you want to see how it would have looked, Star Wars basically ripped off the production design.

Also, something interesting,... Ridely Scott was going to make Dune before he did Blade Runner, but there was a death in his family or something and he didn't want to take on such a huge project. And he had worked with Giger on Alien, as well as Dan O'Bannon, both of whom were heavily involved in Jodorowsky's version. In fact O'Bannon worked such long hours on Dune he was in the hospital for exhaustion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back