Schould I buy a schiit Jotunhiem?
Mar 3, 2019 at 2:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Epsilon95

New Head-Fier
Hi all

I am upgrading my audio set up, I currently have a pair of akg 712 pros and a Fiio et10k. I was looking around z reviews and saw his review on the Schiit Jotunhiem I just wanted to know people opinions on it and would it be a good purchase for the 712s? I will be using them with my pc.

I also wanted to know what is the difference in the card options , on the schiit website it has two options 4490 dac and also a multi bit dac what are the differences between the two and what one should I get?

Thanks in advanced

Mar 4, 2019 at 12:11 PM Post #2 of 10
Those headphones are sensitive and a very easy load. Any headamp will power them adequately. I owned Jotunheim for awhile here's my thoughts:

Nice amp, forward and intimate. Bit of a bass boost, high's can be problematic depending on headphone. Excellent build quality, versatile. Good warranty.

Now, I had a Rev.1 Jotunheim, and was not too impressed with the Rev1 balanced akm 4490 dac, I upgraded it to a Multi-bit, and was still unimpressed. I hear the REV2 4490 card is decent. Here's my biggest problem with Schiit modules, and it should not be taken lightly. The usb input sucks. Schiit Gen2 is not good. Period. Full stop

This can be remedied when using the Modi 3 via optical or coax, or an Eitr. I cannot recommend dac products from Schiit that only have a USB G2 input. In your position, i'd buy a Used Jotunheim, AMP only, for 200-250$. And pair it with a used Modi 3 or Modi Multibit, and if you intend to hook it to a PC, i'd spring for an Eitr, either immediately, or later.

The Jotunheim is attractive as an all in one, at it's price and excellent form factor and features. Unfortunately the USB Gen2 is a huge disappointment and holds back the amp, significantly. If your dead-set on an all ine one, look elsewere, or accept these shortcomings. Know that the Jot Amp will not perform to its' full ability with that integrated dac. If your looking for a cheap USB dac, i'd seriously look at the massdrop sdac, 80 bucks and it at least uses xmos USB, still not top end, and probably not as good as EITR, but it has to be better then Schiit G2.

Used CTH Sdac combo units are an excellent value AIO as well, imo. As is THX789 + Sdac

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2019 at 12:17 PM Post #3 of 10
Be aware the power switch is on the back.
The older Jotunheims have a prevalent issue with bad grounding which causes an audible buzz. Don't get a Schiit DAC. They're all Schiit. They have poor performance, mains hum, and high susceptibility to USB noise, even with the Yggdrasil.

Mar 4, 2019 at 12:22 PM Post #4 of 10
That's a bit harsh. I've never had issue's with ground loops, and the Jotunheim grounding issue was a small batch.. the anodizing did not get scrapped off good enough at the ground point. Amir made a huge overblown mess of that situation.

Schiit Gen5 is great.. to the contrary. Never heard mains hum in any of my schiit dac's either. With regards to poor performance, eh.. tubes have poor performance too. People don't listen to Multi-bit, LP, and Tubes for measured performance. Never have. It's not a secret. Distortion is not a dirty word afterall.

If it matter's the Modi 3 is at the tip top of Amir's SN graph's. That said, my advice to avoid schiit Gen2 stands.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2019 at 12:26 PM Post #5 of 10
My first Jotunheim had the issue. I've also had the issues mentioned with the Gen 5 integrated DAC, which is why my post may seem harsh.

Mar 4, 2019 at 12:28 PM Post #6 of 10
Your post is a little confusing, what do you mean when you say 'Gen 5 Integrated Dac". USB GEN5 is not offered on any of the modules yet. Im assuming you owned another Schiit product Bifrost or higher, that had Gen5 and you had issues with it.

I see you have an LCX+Sdac in your signature, as that product is an All in one, that's in the price range of the OP, might want to do a quick review in comparison.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2019 at 12:36 PM Post #8 of 10
The Modi Multibit sounds better than the Jot's multibit module. Even over usb, but significantly moreso though spdif. I do find the RME ADI-2 superior to my Jotunheim as an AIO, pretty much in all regards. Jot's amp might be slightly better, it's definitely more powerful, but the ADI is extremely clean/detailed and responds exceptionally well to the PEQ built into the unit. It's a bit of a strech for you budget though. If you were considering a new ~600$ Multibit Jotunheim though, a used 750-800$ ADI-2 Dac is not too far out. The RME is the best piece of kit i've ever purchased, im floored with it. The amp's comparable in quality (not power) to the THX789, as there have been a couple folks in the RME thread that have purchased the 789 to pair with the unit and found it redundant.

Z's an idiot, but he did also review it if your into that kind of thing.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2019 at 5:04 PM Post #9 of 10
Speak of the devil... the Sdac drop just went live. Not personally heard it, but heard good things. 80$ is hard to go wrong. April 29th ship date though, bugger. They do show up for sale in the FS forums fairly often.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2019 at 6:40 PM Post #10 of 10
Seeing the OP is from England, there might be issues in shipping Massdrop products to their country. However, the forum suggestion is a good one. I have the SDAC built into my LCX from Massdrop. It's a great performer. I had the Schiit Jotunheim with the balanced DAC (not the multibit version) and it was also a great performer. I guess in the end, I just felt that I liked the LCX a little more - by a very slight margin, so that's what I kept.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back