School Me On Some Jazz, Blue Note...
Aug 15, 2005 at 9:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

DJ Mauler

500+ Head-Fier
sup guys one of my Fav. Underground artists/// producers Madlib make a record called shades of blue basically given access to the blue note jazz catalog he re-arranged songs added samples etc...

but anyways i bought another album released by him that called Sources for shades of blue and it has the songs that were on Shades Of The Blue, The original songs... heres the tracklisting i find myself listening to this atleast once a day so i figured id have some people who listen to it all the time to school me on some good records/cds to get.
1. Look of Slim - Gene Harris
2. Distant Land - Donald Byrd
3. Mystic Brew - Ronnie Foster
4. Stormy - Reuben Wilson
5. Please Set Me at Ease - Bobbi Humphrey
6. Stepping into Tomorrow - Donald Byrd
7. Illusion - Andrew Hill
8. Montara - Bobby Hutcherson
9. Song for My Father - Horace Silver
10. Footprints - Wayne Shorter
11. Peace - Horace Silver
12. Dolphin Dance - Herbie Hancock

Aug 16, 2005 at 7:40 AM Post #2 of 7
A thing with 60s Blue Note albums, at least, is one track off a CD re-issue might not be representative of the album as a whole. There were often converging styles on BN albums in the sixties - try Herbie Hancock Empyrean Isles as an example. That said, I could easily recommend the BN albums that those last four songs (9-12) originally appear on. I have them and listen to them frequently. If I had to pick one album you might like the most, I would say Song for my Father. I don't think I've heard the first 6 songs on the list, but I'm somewhat familar with those artists. If you're open to experimental jazz, Bobby Hutcherson Dialogue, and Andrew Hill Point of Departure are great albums.

If you're looking for a forum that has a slant towards old-school BN, try searching here:

www.organissimo.org/forum

Aug 16, 2005 at 7:17 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by kane
For Blue Note jazz I will second these:

Bobby Hutcherson Dialogue
Andrew Hill Point of Departure

and add Eric Dolphy Out to Lunch

One of the best I have heard.

Blue Note recorded tons of Bop, Hard Bop, Post Bop, Avante Bop, and a bit of free jazz from the late 50's through late 60's (prime era). There are so many to choose from (with remasters coming out every few months now).

I'll second those just mentioned, and add a few more off the top:

Jackie McClean -- Desination Out

Andrew HIll -- Black Fire

Joe Henderson -- Inner Urge

JOhn Coltrane -- Blue Train

Sam Rivers -- Fuscia Swing Song

Wayne Shorter -- Speak no Evil

Anthony Williams -- Spring

Cecil Taylor -- Unit Structures

Aug 17, 2005 at 12:11 AM Post #5 of 7
Check out the Impulse catalogue...I have a three LP (vinyl) set called Energy Essentials that literally turned my young head around back in the 70s...

It's probably not in circulation anymore (see it? BUY it!), but listen to the great Pharaoh Sanders (Karma's a good place to start cos it has the superb 'Creator Has a Master Plan'), Alice Coltrane, Charlie Haden's Liberation Music Orchestra or the awesome Albert Ayler

I was going to mention 'Love Supreme', but I won't...
icon10.gif

steviebee

Aug 18, 2005 at 11:56 PM Post #7 of 7
Just as an afterthought -if you're interested in Blue Note remixes..check out US3 'Hand on the Torch' Blue Note CD. Get the ltd edition 2CD one, with the jazz mixes on the second CD......as they say in the Fast Show: niiiiiice!

steviebee

Users who are viewing this thread

Back