School me on some Fear Factory:
May 26, 2006 at 11:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

kwitel

Headphoneus Supremus
Are these guys any good?
I know I know alot of their material from the 90's but I dont own a single album.
I need some good industrial/aggro-metal...I already adore Ministry and the like.
Also, I know its more Hardcore-comments on The Dillinger Escape Plan?

May 27, 2006 at 12:06 AM Post #2 of 8
My two favorite Fear Factory albums are "Digimortal" and "Obsolete". Those are where most of the better hits came from, anyways. The newer albums (Archetype and Transgression) arent too good in my opinion, and their first album was death metal. So, I'd start with Digimortal and Obsolete first.

Dillinger Escape Plan has a lot of good songs, but every album has it's stinker. I'd highly suggest their new album, "Miss Machine". Some great songs from that album are Phone Home and Unretrofied, but they're in much of a different vein from the rest of the album. If you can like the "chaotic beauty" music style, Dillinger is definatly worth a shot.

May 27, 2006 at 12:20 AM Post #3 of 8
In my opinion the best place to start with Fear Factory is Demanufature which is the second album (and in my opinion the best) and then Obsolete. The first album Soul of A new Machine is more death metal. The newer albums are weaker but have some good songs on there. Digimortal has always seemed the weakest album to me. It sounds a bit like Fear Factory trying out Nu-metal, there is the odd good song on there though.

May 27, 2006 at 5:08 AM Post #4 of 8
From what I gather, kwitel, you don't like harsh vocals in any way, shape, or form. If that is indeed the case, you're going to develop a massive aversion to DEP in around 10 seconds.

Either way, I wouldn't recommend Miss Machine. Calculating Infinity is widely considered their best, and Irony is a Dead Scene is my personal favorite. Mike Patton really makes DEP come alive, IMO.

May 27, 2006 at 11:21 AM Post #5 of 8
ill second the reccomendation to get obsolete by ff, the newer stuff is a lot more chart/kerrang sounding, and older stuff is mostly death metal (not that its worse, i actuallt prefer older ff, but obsolete is unique and acessible).
as for dillinger, each album is different.
i would start with under the running board or the self titled ep.
in the same vein as dillinger, check out a band called botch (american nervoso), who first discovered dillinger and brought them to surface.
also, for something which is in a way between dilllinger and ff, but a bit more techy sounding, check out meshuggah (catch 33).

May 27, 2006 at 1:44 PM Post #6 of 8
Get Obsolete as an introduction. Resurrection is incredible to listen to.

May 27, 2006 at 5:29 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by asmox
From what I gather, kwitel, you don't like harsh vocals in any way, shape, or form. If that is indeed the case, you're going to develop a massive aversion to DEP in around 10 seconds.

Either way, I wouldn't recommend Miss Machine. Calculating Infinity is widely considered their best, and Irony is a Dead Scene is my personal favorite. Mike Patton really makes DEP come alive, IMO.

You know me too well...
I actually dont mind screaming (like Chino Morino), I dont like Cookie Monster growls. Adrenaline is one of my all time favorite albums...
Is DEP screaming or growling?
Any cookies in FF?

May 27, 2006 at 7:31 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwitel
You know me too well...
I actually dont mind screaming (like Chino Morino), I dont like Cookie Monster growls. Adrenaline is one of my all time favorite albums...
Is DEP screaming or growling?
Any cookies in FF?

Dillinger is more screaming than growling. There are a couple of albums up on allofmp3.com that you can preview in full.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back