school me on IEM's.
Oct 20, 2007 at 9:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

emericanchaos

100+ Head-Fier
just got an ipod. need something portable for them since the beyer's are far from mobile. a post in the DAP forum suggested IEM's and i've been reading about them since.

here's the situation. leaning towards SE420's. originally i liked the SE310's but everyone seems to think that the 420's are worth the $100. catch is i've been rockin the beyers and i'm kind of leary that the Shure signature might be a little too bassy and rolled off in the highs since i'm used to brutal highs. plus if these things are like little subwoofers at $350 i'm certainly going to want to look at something like the super fi 5 pro's since they're not known to be as muddy and cost nearly $200 less.

for what it's worth Senn PX100's come out somewhat veiled to me straight out of my 80GB classic on flat or no EQ.

ety's sound appealing but i don't like the idea of a lack of bass.

please no amplifier talk. i want to be very mobile. carrying the ipod is a bit of a chore already with all the other things i carry with me.

as always thank you very much for your time. i know most of my posts get very long winded.

Oct 20, 2007 at 11:55 AM Post #2 of 8
Based on your preference for the Beyer sound I agree that Shure will leave you disappointed, that's how it worked for me.( I moved from Shure E4 to Ety ER6)

I can't help but recommend the ER4P(although the ER4S gets plenty loud from iPod imo). Sure, they aren't bass monsters but the detail is simply beautiful.
etysmile.gif

...and the PX100 sounded bad to me too. I've not heard the 5 Pro so no comment there.

Oct 20, 2007 at 1:05 PM Post #3 of 8
I still find the e2c's to be nearly the perfect blend of sound, price, and portability (and I love the beyer house sound).

The shures don't sound -quite- as I'd prefer them, but imho they have no glaring flaws, either. Bass is probably their biggest weakness (a tad lean, imho), but they make up for that in isolation. The super.fi 5pro is a lot like a (unmodded) DT-770, bassy but not unrefined. I found them cumbersome to be used as a mobile IEM, though.

Oct 20, 2007 at 1:48 PM Post #4 of 8
hmm...I might be able to help here. I came from a Beyer DT880 (love those to death) and for my DAP, I'm currently using the SF5pro. When I first got the SF5pro, I was really disappointed. Compared to the DT880, the SF5pro has not much details to talk about. My ears are getting used to the SF5pros now and I find them to be good for rock, pop, some jazz, but terrible for classical. What SF5pro has is pretty strong bass (probably a little too strong for me since I came from DT880) but no details and not much soundstage.

For classical (and mobility), I use my Audio Technica ATH-CM700ti. I was shocked at its soundstage and clarity. Only problem with these are that they are a little bass shy (since they are ear buds) and no isolation.

Good luck!

Oct 20, 2007 at 2:12 PM Post #5 of 8
For an inexpensive portable with very good SQ, and if you don't mind ear buds (more like larger cans soundstage-wise), check out the threads for the Yuins PK2s ($69) or PK3s ($39). Outstanding sound for little money in an unasssuming style. Use the donut pads (two holes) for best results. Non-fatiguing (the PK3s are a little more bassy, less forward mids). I have had both, and decided on the PK3s. ALso have the outstanding PK1s, but now you are getting into amp territory. Can't compare to Beyer sound, though.

Oct 20, 2007 at 3:47 PM Post #6 of 8
IEMs are Godsends for tooling about the city/commute. U and ur music w minimal outside interference. Maybe tricky to fit at first but patience gets u there.

I've come to realize perhaps I don't want thumping bass in my eardrums (IEM remember?) the same way I like it with my car's 7 speakers system. When I wear my IEM, I tend to want to relax and listen to "civilized" sounds. Gravitating to the ER4p again, my last pair stolen but remembered it fondly.

Oct 21, 2007 at 6:03 AM Post #7 of 8
you guys are awesome. sounds like SF5's would be alright with some treble boost and or bass defeat. ety's are sounding like where it's at though. is there anything in the ety lines that is super high detailed but still pretty balanced. i'm looking for bass impact mostly.

Oct 21, 2007 at 4:47 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by emericanchaos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
is there anything in the ety lines that is super high detailed but still pretty balanced. i'm looking for bass impact mostly.

Imo the Etys are balanced but many users seem to like extra bass which for me adds more emotion to music...ok, I am a basshead...I admit it.
icon10.gif

Actually, the ER4 is very accurate I feel and makes for an excellent monitor, it doesn't bloat the bass which I'll guess would needed if you were to use them for mixing. Some feel that they have hyped upper mids/treble which I don't find to be the case.

There are only 2 main lines of Ety', the ER6 & ER4. The ER4 has more detail than ER6 but without a good EQ(which the iPod sadly does not have), you won't get serious bass impact.

When I listen to my ER4P/S from my iPod I use an amp via line out with no EQ which sounds very good. Straight from the iPod they have a smaller soundstage and a general less lively sound/less detail overall.

I recently bought a Cowon iAudio 7 and I'm using it mainly with my ER6 as my sleeping rig. I'm very happy with this combo. Using the generous sound enhancement features on the i7, the ER6 (and ER4) become a very full range IEM not lacking in bass impact.

My bottom line is this:

Without generous EQ'ing the Etys will not satisfy the basshead

Users who are viewing this thread

Back