School me on Grado\Alessandro!
Apr 21, 2008 at 7:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

QQQ

Headphoneus Supremus
Never tried any Grados so there's a lot of questions:
1. I heard that there's not THAT MUCH of a difference between lower-end Grado models(Like SR 60) and higher-end(RS's). I mean, for example, there's hell of a difference between HD 457 and HD 600, but i've heard a lot of times that SR 60 are good enough and there's no night and day difference between SR 60-80 and, say, RS 2. Is this true?
2. What is Alessandro to Grado? Special editions? MS One = SR 60? MS Two = ? Or it's more different than just redesign?
3. Grado cans need some special aftermarket pads to be comfortable\sound best or it's just a matter of preference?
Enough, for now
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks in advance.

Apr 21, 2008 at 7:38 AM Post #2 of 8
MS-1 is often compared to the SR-80 or SR-125.

I find Grado pads comfortable enough as they are, so IMO it's just a matter of preference.

Apr 21, 2008 at 8:22 AM Post #3 of 8
I heard a friend's Sr225 and now i've got a ms1, he uses unmoded hd414 pads before i moded my 414 pads sound seems to nearly identical to me. After moding pads differences increased.

There is a lot of discussion about pads, i choose hd414 pads they are easy to find,buy,mod. They arent comfortable as comfy pads but after listening modded pads there was no turning back for me.

Apr 21, 2008 at 8:34 AM Post #4 of 8
They all have the grado signature sound, but as you go up, it improves, but will always have the signature sound.

Grado makes headphones for alessandro. The share the housings with the apropriate grado products (sr60-225, 325i, and I think the rs2 or 1) but they're tweaked. I really don't know how though.

As for comfort, they're not that bad, but some people absolutely hate it. I find they're rather uncomfortable with the bowls, and very comfortable with the 414 pads.

Apr 21, 2008 at 11:38 AM Post #6 of 8
I can add that the Grado bowl pads have this glue like ring around them that makes them fairly abrasive which many people complain about. They will soften naturally over time, or you can do what many of us have done... Take the foam bowl pads off... wash them in very hot water. The pads and the glue like substance will soften and make for a much more comfortable set of Grados.

Apr 21, 2008 at 12:48 PM Post #7 of 8
1. There's a pretty big difference between my RS1s and the sr225s I used to have. Whether that difference is worth 400$ is debatable.

2. MS-1/sr80, ms2/sr325, mspro/rs1 are comparable in terms of SQ, but this is hearsay. Also, the Alessandro series of products are less bright/more laid back than their comparable grado counterpart.

3. flats. but of course this is subjective

Apr 21, 2008 at 2:18 PM Post #8 of 8
I have the MS1's. Have never listened to any other Grado's or Alessandro's so I can't compare them. I will say that I am 100% satisfied with the MS1's and have no problem with their comfort. I use the comfy and the bowl pads. Can't seem to decide which I like best. If you are concerned with sound being to bright, from what I have red, the Alessandro's might be for you. Love mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back